Unexpected sharp back pain can be caused by pinched nerve. Of course, it is very difficult to move and work normally in this state. You should not try to relieve pain with anesthetics: it does not solve the problem. It is necessary to figure out whether a person really has neuropathy and how to act in order to get rid of it.
Pinching of the nerve in the lower back is the compression of the nerve branches of the spinal cord as a result of a decrease in the distance between the vertebral discs. This happens because of protrusion, hernias, or increased muscle tone during a spasm. If you deal with pain, but do not eliminate the cause of the disease, you can face severe damage to the spinal nerves and paralysis of the legs. In this case, the struggle with the disease will take years, not months.
How does the "offended" nerve react?
Squeezing of the nerve branch is usually manifested by acute shooting pain. Sometimes possible:
- numbness of muscle tissue;
- malfunction of adjacent organs.
- In connection with the location of the localization of sensations caused by pinched nerve, the following types of pain syndrome are distinguished:
- ischalgia - pain in the sacrum passes to the muscle of the buttock and the back of the lower limb;
- lumbagia - pain in the back and lumbar region;
- lumboishalgiya - lumbar "lumbago", giving to the leg;
- sciatica - a tingling and burning sensation in the lower back that extends to the back of the leg.
With sciatica, the muscles are weakened, and the mobility of the leg is restricted. The pain increases if the patient coughs, sneezes, makes sudden movements. If a pinched nerve in the lower back happened during pregnancy, it is possible that the woman has suffered from this disease before or has had a multiple pregnancy, polyhydramnios, obesity. Often, future mummies start aching back pains, but their cause is not at all neuropathy, but an increasing load on the spine.
Is it easy to make a diagnosis?
Of course, the bright symptoms are evidence of pinched nerve in the lower back. But experts can not take action until they find out the cause of the compression of the nerve root. After all, it can be quite serious, for example, a malignant tumor, injury or scar. Therefore, patients with neuropathy are directed to:
- X-ray of the spine;
- myelography (x-ray with the introduction of a contrast agent);
- magnetic resonance and computed tomography.
On the basis of the obtained results, physicians determine whether there is a need for a surgical intervention or if there is sufficient medical treatment for pinching the nerve in the lumbar region.
Excerpts from the doctor's prescription
After a successful diagnosis, doctors prescribe:
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - Voltaren or Ibuprofen;
- Novocainic blockade in painful points to relieve pain;
- external medicines in the form of ointments, creams or gels.
If the disease is acute, do not do without strict bed rest in the supine position. Also need to exclude from the menu:
- spicy food;
- smoked food;
- concentrated broths.
The use of these dishes can lead to an exacerbation of the disease.
To overcome the residual pain when a nerve is pinched in the back in the period of prolonged relief, the following are applied:-
- therapeutic and prophylactic physical exercises;
- electrophoresis with painkillers;
It is advisable to consolidate the results of treatment by staying in a sanatorium.
Therapy of a pregnant woman can take place only under the strict control of a neurologist, in accordance with his appointments. Sleep future mom should be on its side, placing a pillow between his legs to support the abdomen. You need to change position carefully, slowly moving on its side and leaning on your hands. While walking and sitting, the back should remain level. Every 30 minutes it is necessary to arrange a short walk. Choosing shoes, a lady in a position is best to buy shoes with low, steady heels to avoid overloading the spine or flatfoot.
Nature vs Neuropathy
What else to do with pinched nerve in the lower back? Experts advise to supplement the appointments proposed by traditional medicine with traditional methods of combating this pathology.
Green ointment to relieve pain and muscle tension
- Combine in a ratio of 1: 6 juniper needles and bay leaves.
- Grind the mixture to obtain a powder.
- Add 12 parts of melted butter to the medicine.
- Carefully rub a few hop cones.
- In this mass, put 1 tbsp. l pork fat.
- Stir the ointment before use.
- Mix the wax with olive oil and wax.
- Saturate the linen fabric with this compound.
- Place the compress on the problem area and secure it with a plaster.
An excellent remedy against the infringement of nerve endings is a bath with the addition of medicinal plant solutions. Water temperature should be around 37 ° C.
- Take 1st. sage, camomile or knotweed.
- Pour the selected component with 5 liters of boiling water and leave for 2 hours.
- Filtered product is ready for use.
Broth calamus and thyme
- Take 0.5 tbsp. calamus roots and as many stems and leaves of creeping thyme.
- Put the ingredients in 3 liters of boiling water and turn off the gas after 7 minutes.
- Before use, strain the decoction.
Infusion "Healing dozen"
- Make a mixture of black elderberry, burdock, oregano, wheat grass, currant leaves, juniper, tansy, pine buds, horsetail, nettle, hop, thyme and violets (equally).
- 160 g of product boil in a saucepan with 2 liters of water.
- Cool and filter the broth.
- Tincture of mullein flower
- 50 g of flowers fill in 1 l of vodka.
- Store the agent in a tightly closed bottle for 14 days.
- The finished tincture is rubbed into the painful areas of the back.
- In addition to local natural preparations, there are traditional medicines for oral administration.
- 1 tsp. leaves, pour 380 ml of boiling water.
- Drink 0.5 tbsp. tea 3 times a day.
- 5 tbsp. Strawberries Pour 250 grams of sugar.
- After 5 hours, drain the selected juice.
- Enjoy a healthy delicacy before breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- 1 tbsp. l Yarrow put in 250 ml of boiling water.
- Heat the container with a towel and wait 1 hour.
- Strain the liquid and drink 1 tbsp. l 3-4 times a day.
- Squeeze the juice of celery fragrant leaves.
- Drink the resulting liquid to 2 tsp. 3 times a day.
- 1 tbsp. l Tansy flowers brew in 1 tbsp. boiling water.
- Cover the cup and leave for 2 hours.
- Drink this tea 4 times a day 15 minutes before meals.
It is important to remember that the consequence of pinching the nerve is painful pains and problems with the mobility of the leg, malfunction of the internal organs. To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to contact the clinic in time for diagnostic procedures and prescription of treatment. Medications and folk remedies will help to “release” the nerve roots and eliminate even the most acute pain. Do not deprive yourself of qualified help!