As a rule, alfalfa is associated only with animal feed. Meanwhile, it has wonderful healing properties used for centuries in traditional medicine.
Alfalfa belongs to the legume family, is the oldest forage plant known to man. It comes from the Middle East, where it is called "Alfalfa", is widely used as a means of increasing vitality, as a medicine for the prevention of many diseases.
This is a perennial plant with a height of 30-90 cm. It has 3 connected obovate leaves and elongated inflorescences. The flowers themselves have a dark-veined purple crown. Stem almost naked.
The richness of the plant, its beneficial properties
- The aboveground part of the plant is rich in beta - carotene, vitamins B, C, D, E, P and K, and minerals such as potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, silicon and phosphorus.
- Due to the high content of chlorophyll, alfalfa gives a detox effect, prevents cancer of the digestive system. This property can be successfully used for disorders of the gastrointestinal tract - flatulence, ulcers, loss of appetite.
- Due to its alkalizing property, which results from the presence of magnesium carbonate, it is used in the treatment of peptic ulcers.
- Alfalfa improves the absorption and absorption of carbohydrates, proteins, calcium, iron and other trace elements. This is especially useful for older people: strengthens the immune system, slows aging, increases vitality, physical performance, provides better sleep.
- It supports the treatment of acute and chronic inflammation of the bladder or prostate, reduces rheumatic pains and promotes lactation (milk production). It has been shown that preparations containing alfalfa increase the amount of hemoglobin in the blood.
- A very important group of active substances contained in alfalfa roots, triterpene saponins. Its molecule consists of sugar and aglycone, which is called saponin. These are vegetable glycosides. They have very strong antibacterial and fungicidal properties.
- Protected from atherosclerosis. Saponin reduces cholesterol, reduces its absorption in the intestine, increases the secretion of steroids and bile acids.
- Antioxidant properties. 22 flavonoid compounds were isolated from the aboveground part of alfalfa: glycosides apigenin, luteolin, tricine, and others. The content of flavonoids is high, ranging from 16-49 mg / g dry weight.
- Menopause. Alfalfa extract reduces the unpleasant symptoms of menopause. Of high importance is the high content of isoflavones, such as genistein and daidzein, which produce estrogen.
- Granulated alfalfa is used for animal feed. Such storage ensures the safety of vitamins contained in the plant up to 95%.
Alfalfa contains high doses of fat-soluble vitamins, prolonged treatment with preparations of alfalfa can lead to their accumulation. So after 2-3 months, you should take a break.
People who use medicines that reduce blood clotting (anticoagulants) should not use medicines containing alfalfa without consulting a doctor, because of the high content of vitamin K.
In folk medicine
Alfalfa is used in the treatment of diabetes. Consumed in the amount of 62.5 g / kg and added to water (2.5 g / l) reduces hypoglycemia.-
Aqueous alfalfa extract (1 mg / ml) stimulates the production of 2-deoxy-glucose, the oxidation of glucose and the conversion to abdominal muscles.
Alfalfa in cosmetology
Alfalfa extract stimulates the metabolism of skin cells, effectively eliminates wrinkles, and retinol is involved in maintaining the function of the extracellular matrix. It increases collagen synthesis, inhibits the action of metalloproteinase, responsible for the degradation of collagen. The skin rejuvenates, becomes radiant, wrinkles are smoothed.
In order to combat the signs of aging skin care companies often turn to retinol and its derivatives. Unfortunately, the use of these compounds is associated with certain limitations - instability and a high degree of irritation. Altai Alfalfa Cream has been dermatologically tested, the results in all tests exceed the highest expectations.
After successful trials with soy extracts, nutritionists decided to introduce alfalfa extract as a food additive. The experiment has expanded to Mexico and Nicaragua. 200 children and mothers from poor families suffering from anemia were included in the medical control. Within 3 months in more than 85% of hemoglobin rose to normal levels. It was also found that children's performance increased, appetite increased, fatigue decreased, skin problems decreased, eyesight improved, headache and insomnia disappeared. Various respiratory infections have become less serious and have a shorter duration.
Regular consumption of alfalfa extract helped to improve the overall health of people suffering from influenza, tonsillitis, diabetes, arthritis, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies, tuberculosis. The results of studies of the phytochemical and pharmacological properties of natural substances present in alfalfa seeds made this plant widely known.
Preparations of alfalfa should be purchased only at a pharmacy! They have a brown glass package that protects the drug from exposure to light, moisture, and temperature. Sufficient dose for admission - 500 mg per day. Alfalfa is taken a long course, from 2 to 3 months. You must choose a drug without artificial additives, it can be both an extract and alfalfa tablets.