Without exaggeration, we can say that broccoli dishes do not enjoy universal love. And in vain! Few people know that broccoli is one of the most useful vegetables for the human body. The reason for the dislike for this variety of cabbage is most likely the banal inability to cook it. The fact is that the taste of broccoli depends on how well you boil it. Let's figure out how much to cook frozen broccoli?
Useful properties of broccoli
The composition of broccoli cabbage includes a huge amount of mineral substances:
- vitamins C, PP, K, E.
In addition, broccoli is rich in such elements as fiber, fats, proteins, and there is 1.5 times more vitamin C in it than in some citrus fruits. It also contains the beauty vitamin beta carotene. 100 g of broccoli has only 34 calories, so it is a real find for women on a diet. In general, the reasons for making this vegetable in your diet is more than enough.
In order to preserve all the useful qualities of broccoli, in the cooking process you need to follow only one rule - do not digest it. The time to boil fresh broccoli and frozen is different.
How to cook frozen broccoli?
Cook broccoli in a pan
To properly boil this vegetable in frozen form, you need to follow a few simple tips:
- thawing broccoli before cooking is not necessary, otherwise the inflorescences will lose their shape and, when prepared, will look more like gruel;
- throw broccoli in boiling salted water;
- from the moment of boiling water to boil the vegetable should be no more than 10-12 minutes.
Speaking about the duration of boiling cabbage, you need to consider the size of the inflorescences. That is, the larger the inflorescence, the longer we cook.
Cook broccoli in a slow cooker
Broccoli cabbage can be easily boiled in a slow cooker. In this case, the duration of the process will be about 10 minutes. Before boiling, it is better to disassemble large inflorescences, and cut the thick stem into smaller pieces.
When boiling broccoli cabbage, there is one secret: in order for the inflorescences to retain their beautiful color, immediately after cooking, it is recommended to dip it in cold water.
How to freeze broccoli?
The season of fresh broccoli falls in mid-summer, and you want to eat this vegetable all year round. For such cases, it can be frozen for the winter. Of course, now it’s not a problem to buy an already frozen vegetable in any store, but experienced housewives say that broccoli prepared for the winter at home is much tastier.
So, freeze broccoli as follows:
- Choose good, fresh and crispy cabbage to freeze.
- Wash the vegetable, carefully remove dirt, leaves, scabbed areas.
- Divide the plant into inflorescences and place for 20-30 minutes in brine (for 1 l of water 5 tsp. Of salt). This treatment helps to get rid of insect larvae, which are not visible to the naked eye.
- Remove the inflorescences from the brine and rinse with running water.
- Fill the pot by a third with water and bring to a boil.
- Dip the broccoli in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, and then immediately dip it in the cold.
- Spread out the inflorescences and let them dry completely.
- Prepared broccoli cabbage divided into portions and put in sealed bags, tightly close and store in the freezer.
Done! If the whole process is done correctly, then in the winter you will be able to diversify your diet with a truly tasty and healthy product.
How to cook frozen broccoli?
How to boil frozen broccoli, we figured out. However, this cabbage can be not only boiled, but also cooked puree soups, original salads, used as a side dish for the main course, etc.
There are many delicious and unusual recipes with this vegetable that will appeal to the most spoiled gourmets, for example:
- in cheese omelette;
- broccoli salad with orange;
- tiger prawns with broccoli;
- broccoli salad with apple;
- broccoli soufflé;
- cream soup from broccoli with shrimps.
Isn't it impressive? And you can serve broccoli with sour cream, mayonnaise, with meat, fish or as a main dish.
It is important to know that when baking or roasting frozen broccoli, it should be thawed just enough so that you can separate the inflorescences from each other.
Regular appearance of broccoli on your table helps to rid the body of excess salt and water, improve bone health, slow the aging process. And in the winter, this vegetable will also help strengthen the immune system. And remember that broccoli is not just a vegetable, but a real cache of vitamins. So master the new dishes and cook with benefit and pleasure!