Today, most Slavic names are completely forgotten. In Russia, according to statistics, only 5% of children name Slavic names. A return to the Slavic traditions of naming is not only an appeal to the roots, but also an opportunity to improve one’s family, because the sound vibrations of a person’s name influence his character and destiny.
Male Slavic names: traditions and facts
In ancient Russia, each person had two names: false (for all) and secret (for close people). This tradition allowed to protect the child from evil spirits and unkind people. A false Slavic name was usually unattractive, but a secret name was given only in adolescence, when the main character traits of a person were formed.
Slavic names were divided into groups:
- Names from the surrounding natural world (Pike, Wolf, Eagle, Walnut, etc.)
- Names that indicate the order of birth of the child in the family (Pervusha, Vtorak, Tretyak, etc.)
- Names that signify human traits and qualities (Brave, Stoyan, etc.)
- Names of Slavic gods and goddesses (Lada, Yarilo, etc.)
- Two-base names are the most common group (Svyatoslav, Tihomir, Ratibor, Yaropolk, Vsevolod, Bogdan, Svetozar, etc.), as well as their derivatives (Dobrynya, Yarilka, Miloneg, etc.).
Meaning of male Slavic names
- Bazhen(Bazhan, Bazhay) - the desired child in the family.
- Beloslav(abbreviated. Belyay, Belyan) - glorified by white, light affairs.
- Berimir- one who cares about the world.
- Berislav- glory taker, one who takes care of glory.
- Blagoslav- glorifying good, good.
- Fornication- dissolute, unlucky man. Negative name
- Bogdan(Bozhko) - the one who is given by God, the gift of God.
- Bogomil(Bohumil) - one who is very sweet to God, loved by God.
- Bogolyub- loving God.
- Bozhidar- bestowed by God.
- Boleslav- more glorious, illustrious.
- Borimir- fighting for peace, peacemaker.
- Borislav(Abbreviated Boris, Boria) - a fighter for glory.
- Borscht- name of the plant world. In the literal sense, borsch is a tops of plants.
- Boyan(Baian, Bayan) - the narrator (from the verb: bayat - speak, sing).
- Bratislava- glorious brothers.
- Bronislav(Boronislav, Branislav, abbreviation. Armor) - the defender of glory, preserving glory, gloriously defending.
- Bryachislav(BRYACHI - saber and SLAV - praise) - praising glory, talking about glory. Budimir - peacemaker.
- Velimir- great peacemaker.
- Velimudr- knowledgeable, very wise.
- Velislav- the most glorious man.
- Wenceslaus- crowned with glory.
- Love- he who loves faith.
- Veselin- joyful, cheerful.
- Vladimir(Volodymer) - the one who owns the whole world.
- Vladislav (Volodislav, abbreviation. Vlad) - owning fame.
- Vojislav(Abbreviation. War, Warrior) - the glorified warrior.
- Wolf- name of the animal world.
- Volibor- man fighting for will.
- Raven- name of the animal world.
- Vorotislav- one who returns glory.
- Vsevolod - owning everything, the lord of the people.
- Vsemil- all dear, beloved by all.
- Vseslav(Seslav) - the All-Glorious, the Famous.
- Second floor(Second, Vtorusha) - the second in a row son in the family.
- Vyacheslav(Vysheslav, Vatslav) - the most glorious person.
- Godoslav(Godlav) - glorious.
- Gorazd- skillful, capable, talented, masterful.
- Gorislav - fiery, burning in glory.
- Goryna - he who is like grief, immense, indestructible; also living in the mountains.
- Guestemil- nice to another (guest).
- Gostomysl- thinking of another (guest).
- Gradimir- guarding the world.
- Gradislav- protects, protects glory.
- Granislav- one who improves glory.
- Gremislav- widely celebrated.
- Goodislav(Abbreviation. Gudim) is a famous musician who blows fame.
- Darion- donated over.
- Nine- the ninth son in the family.
- Deyan- active, active.
- Dobrobyub- kind and loving
- Dobromil - kind and nice
- Dobomir(Abbreviation. Dobrynya, Dobrysha) - kind and peaceful.
- Dobrymsl- one who thinks good.
- Dobronrav- one who has a good temper.
- Dobroslav- one who praises kindness.
- Dobrynya- good-natured person
- Domaslav(Abbreviated. Domash - your own, dear) - glorifying his clan.
- Dragomir- man is more precious than peace.
- Dubyna- oak-like, indestructible.
- Dusan- spiritual, spiritual.
- Squad(Friend) - true friend.
- Ruff- name of the animal world.
- Lark- name of the animal world.
- Waiting- long-awaited child in the family.
- Zhiznomir- always living in the world.
- Hare- name of the animal world.
- Zvonimir- announcing about the world.
- Winter- stern, merciless.
- Zlatomir - golden world.
- Malice- negative name.
- Izyaslav- the one who took the glory.
- Sincere(Iskro) - a sincere person.
- Istislav- one who always praises the truth.
- Languor- tomimy (perhaps tomimy waiting for the birth, which is associated with difficult childbirth).
- Casimir- showing the world.
- Koschey - very skinny, bony.
- Krasimir(Abbreviated. Beauty) - beautiful and peaceful.
- Curve- negative name.
- Ladimir- getting on with the world.
- Ladislav- Glorifying Lada (love).
- Swan (Lybed) - the name of the animal world.
- Luchezar- the first ray of dawn, the ray of light.
- Love- man loved by all.
- Lubomir- loving the world.
- Lyubomysl- one who likes to meditate.
- Lyuboslav- one who loves glory.
- Lyudmil- cute people.
- Small(Minor, Mladen) - small, junior.
- Mieczyslaw- glorifying sword.
- Milan(Milen) - cute.
- Milovan- affectionate, caring, gentle.
- Milorad- cute and joyful.
- Miloslav(Abbreviated Miloneg) - nicely glorifying.
- Mirolyub- peace loving
- Miroslav- he who glorifies the world.
- Silent- silent, uncommunicative person.
- Frost- insensitive, cold-blooded person.
- Mstislav- glorifying revenge.
- Nadezha - hope.
- Nevzor- one of the negative names.
- Nekras- one of the negative names.
- Novik- new.
- Eagle- personalized name of the animal world.
- Octopus (Osmusha) - the eighth child in the family.
- Peresvet- very bright person.
- Predrag- over-precious.
- Putimir- reasonable and peaceful person.
- Putislav(Putyata) - the one who glorifies intelligently.
- Radigost(Radogost, Radogast, Radegast) - caring for another (guest), loving the battle ("war guest").
- Radimir(Radomir, abbreviation. Radim) - he who cares for the world, rejoices in the world.
- Radislav(Radoslaw) - the one who cares about fame.
- Radogor- the joy of the mountains, a very strong person.
- Reasonable- reasonable, prudent, wise.
- Ratibor- warrior of the forest, defender.
- Ratmir- protector of the world.
- Rodislav- one who glorifies the race.
- Rostislav- increasing fame.
- Svetislav(Svetoslav) - glorifying light.
- Svetlana- bright, pure soul.
- Svetovid(Sventovid, the name of the West Slavic god) - seeing the light, perspicacious.
- Svetozar- illuminating with its light.
- Svyatogor- indestructible holiness.
- Svyatopolk- the leader of the sacred army.
- Svyatoslav(abbreviated. Svyatosh) - sacred glory.
- Slawomir- peace glorifying
- Slobodan- one who gives freedom.
- Nightingale- name of the animal world.
- Som- name of the animal world.
- Stanimir- establishing peace.
- Stanislav- one who sets the glory.
- Stoyan- strong, inflexible.
- Stoom- smart as a hundred minds.
- Tverdimir(HARD - firm and PEACE - peaceful) - the foundation of the world.
- Tverdislav(HARD - hard and SLAV - to glorify) - famous for its hardness, thoroughness.
- Tvorimir- he who creates the world.
- Tykhomir- quiet, calm, peaceful person.
- Tretyak - the third son in the family.
- Tour- name of the animal world.
- Brave- famous for his courage.
- Caslav (Cheslav) - glorious in honor; glory.
- Quarter- fourth son in the family.
- Pike- name of the animal world.
- Yarylo- the sun, the god of the sun.
- Jaromir- sunny world.
- Yaropolk- warrior ardent, solar troops.
- Yaroslav- one who praises Yarilu.
These are the male Slavic names and their meanings. If you decide to name a child with a Slavic name, you will give him not only a name, but also a certain energy and even qualities associated with this name. This is the power of the name of the person.