Indoor plants are a special gift for loved ones for the holiday, and just to enhance the mood. Since not all women and girls are avid florist, the question arises: how to care for one plant or another at home. Dwell on thathow to care for orchid at home.
The most unpretentious orchids in amateur care are usually considered to be the Phalaenopsis species (translated from Latin "butterfly resemblance"). Phalaenopsis bloom for 2-3 months, sometimes twice a year. Orchid, according to many, is very fastidious in the care. In fact, with little attention and with the fulfillment of several requirements, orchids grow well on the windowsill, like other indoor flowers. For growth at home orchids need to provide suitable primer, the goodlighting, watering, andfertilizer and timelytransplant.
How to choose the right lighting for an orchid?
Lighting for orchids is the most important condition for flowering. Provide good light quite easily. Orchids grow with pleasure on any medium-lit window sill. But there is no need to abuse the light either, since with intensive illumination the orchid will quickly wither.The duration of the daylight hours of the orchid should be about 10 hours., and for young plants, daylight should be increased to 16 hours. An indicator of sufficient illumination for an orchid is regular flowering and dense leaf condition.
How to water the orchid at home?
Water quality for irrigation is an equally important condition for growing orchids at home.
In nature, orchids feed on rain water with minimal acidity, therefore, it is advised to water the orchid with boiled, then settled water. In general, orchids tolerate drying rather than waterlogging. Increase watering is desirable during the growth and flowering period. Reduce watering is required during the rest period (ie, after flowering) and in the winter period.
Types of watering orchids
There are three types of watering orchids:
- With watering a watering can The orchid needs to be watered in a thin stream, gradually moving the watering can over the entire surface until the excess water flows out through the lower holes in the pot. When water flows into the pan - the excess should be poured. After a few minutes, repeat the procedure. It is best to produce watering in the morning, so that in the evening the orchid has had time to dry.
- With watering with immersion The orchid is immersed in a container with water for a period of up to 15 minutes, then we take a pot out of the water, give an opportunity to drain off the excess and put it on the windowsill.
- The third way to water the orchid is bathing. 1-2 times a month it is advisable to bathe the orchids under the shower, combining the procedure with watering. The water must be warm, the jet when bathing is not very strong, and the pot must be protected with a plastic bag so that tap water does not get there. After bathing, we water the orchid with water from a watering can and leave it in the bathroom so that excess water drains and the plant dries out. Bathing orchids is more beneficial than spraying - it helps to clean the orchid leaves from dust, fungus and microorganism disputes that collect on the leaf surface.
Fertilizer for orchids
In addition to watering, orchid needs regular feeding. It is better to purchase fertilizer in specialized stores and dilute it with water in the proportions indicated on the label.
Orchid transplant at home
Orchid transplant best held in the spring. In any specialty store is sold ground for orchids. Specially prepared soil retains nutrients well and moisture between irrigations.
- Orchid potit is better to choose transparent, with a large number of holes in the bottom of the pot to drain the water.
- The roots must be carefully removed from the pot and soaked in warm water. After shedding old soil, the root system should be inspected and, if necessary, trim rotten roots with a sharp knife so that a clean cut is left. All slices must be sanitized with ordinary brilliant green.
- Then it is necessary to place the orchid in the cooked pot and gradually pour the prepared substrate, tapping the sides of the pot so that it is evenly distributed between the roots of the orchid. You do not need to push the roots into the pot by force, the remaining roots can be left on the surface.
- After transplanting watering is not required, just sprinkle the leaves with water and put an orchid in a dark place 1-2 weeks. Then you can rearrange the orchid in its original place. An orchid transplant is considered successful if the orchid blooms the same year.
Read more about how orchids reproduce themselves in the article Orchid reproduction at home.
Every person who ever brought into his home orchid, noticed how the flower brought into the room the atmosphere of comfort and beauty. Due to external fragility, many conclude that the orchid is picky and requires special attention when caring. In fact, Orchid care is not at all difficult. And subject to a few simple rules.Orchid will delight you with flowering several times a year.