Nightshade, or as it is called, Cuban or Jerusalem cherry, is a perennial evergreen dwarf. It multiplies mainly seed and cuttings. Nightshade will decorate any room, bringing in its brightness, delicate aroma and good mood. Caring for this plant is quite time-consuming, since it requires special lighting conditions.
Nightshade Room: Views and Their Features
Jerusalem cherry is truly an original culture. Thanks to lush green leaves, snow-white flowers and bright berries, the nightshade draws attention to the tropical-exotic view. By the way, South America is considered to be the birthplace of the plant. During ripening on one bush can appear berries of different colors - from green to red.
There are enough varieties of this amazing plant. False-translate and pepper-shaped solanum are very popular.
Nightshade gave us Madeira island, but in the wild it can be found even in the Crimea. The leaves of this culture have no edges, and in shape are oval or oblong with a pointed end. The fruits are rather large and round, painted in a pleasant red color. The nightshade is very similar to the fallopian, but the second is somewhat smaller in size, and the first has shoots with a grayish edging and the leaves are short. In addition, the fruits of cross-flowering nightshade are inedible and are considered poisonous, while the berries of the second species can be eaten, they are medicinal. Often the nightshade is used as a rinse for sore throat and sore throat, and the juice of its berries has healing properties.
In addition to the fallopian and pepper-type nightshade, there are other plant species that are not grown at home. Among them emit papillary nightshade, red nightshade, bitter sweet nightshade and black nightshade. These species differ from each other in size, fruits and places of growth. There is also prickly nightshade, which is considered to be a weed.
Nightshade: growing and care in the home
- At home, nightshade is grown from seeds that are sown in late winter-early spring. Leaf earth or a mixture of peat and clay soil in a ratio of 1: 3 is ideal as a substrate. The substrate is poured into a suitable pot with drainage, the seeds of the plant are planted at a distance of about 2-3 cm from each other. The seeds are sprinkled with sand on top, and the pot is covered with plastic wrap or glass, creating a greenhouse, and placed in a well-lit room.
- Every day the nightshade needs to be ventilated and moistened. The first shoots will appear in 10-14 days, gradually expanding. After the appearance of the leaves, it is recommended to plant the plant in separate containers. When the nightshade reaches 10 cm in height, they pinch and cut the side stems.
- Since the nightshade is a tropical plant, it requires specific conditions for growth. In summer and spring, maintain the air temperature in the room within 22 degrees. In winter and autumn, provide cool conditions, but not less than 12 degrees. This plant does not tolerate drafts and sudden changes in temperature.
- Room lighting is also quite demanding. He loves the light, but does not tolerate heat. Direct sunlight is detrimental to it. When warm enough, the plant is useful to place on the balcony or veranda. In winter, provide additional lighting for the room; otherwise, its leaves and fruits will begin to wither.
- In summer and spring, the plant requires abundant watering. It is necessary to moisturize the soil as it dries its upper layer. In autumn and winter, the amount of watering is desirable to reduce. High humidity of the air, not less than 70%, is also important for the plant. Moisten the nightshade by spraying. Some growers are advised to put water containers next to the pot. The plant also needs fertilizer. Feed him once every 2 weeks with liquid fertilizers for fruit-bearing plants.
Nightshade: plant photo
Room nightshade is a beautiful plant that will adorn any dwelling. Despite the large list of requirements for care, in fact they are not so complicated. It is easy to be convinced of this by placing a pot with an exotic tree covered with white flowers and red berries in the house.