Translated from English "loft" means "attic" or "room on the top floor." Currently, the loft is one of the most fashionable and popular styles in the interior. True, in Russian design, he has not yet got accustomed to the end, although in some apartments you can find his echoes. Loft style will transform your home, giving him ease and individuality.
Loft-style apartment: basic features
This style creates a completely new concept of space organization. In the interior of the loft there are practically no rooms isolated from each other: separate rooms are conditionally divided zones. It is based on an open layout. Zoning is due to the texture and color of the finishing materials of the walls, ceiling and floor. For example, you can decorate the living room with brick walls, a bedroom with plaster, and mark the border of the kitchen with a bar counter.
In the style of loft try to keep the original walls. Designers especially appreciate the old brickwork, because with its help you can create the perfect background. If you have plastered walls in the apartment, you can improvise and divide the rooms with the help of the game of color. Ceilings in residential areas are better not to touch, leaving white. True, it is better to cover them with varnish, and bearing beams (if they exist) should be highlighted.
As for the floors, the loft style prefers natural wood (in living rooms, the ideal option would be a floor of laminate or parquet). The best coverage is a board of light colors. On the floor, you can put an interesting bright carpet or animal skin.
Designers often use glass blocks as partitions - they divide the space into parts, letting the light through. For the same purpose, you can use green walls, furniture, shelves, etc.
Unlike minimalism, which aims at functional and comfortable simplicity, the loft is characterized by simplicity, elegance and refinement. As a rule, attention is in style accentuated on furniture. It should not be tied to the room.
This option is characterized by long sofas and racks, glass racks, wheelchairs, folding chairs and tables, polished working surfaces. The material is predominantly heavy and cold (metallic elements). Furniture should attract attention due to the brightness, visibility and unusual.
Windows must be by all means to the floor. They are not encouraged to use curtains that prevent the penetration of light. The only thing you can allow is the blinds (vertical or horizontal).
In the loft interior should be present a lot of light due to the large glass area. The sun, penetrating into all corners of the room, reveals the true size and emphasizes the special attractiveness of the style. In the evening, the illumination is maintained with the help of specialized systems. To emphasize the interior elements used decorative lights.
Especially effective is the "smart home" system. It allows you to turn on or off the light, change the intensity of light, accompany a person along the way, follow the bright or soft diffused light from any of the zones.
The uniqueness of the loft style gives a variety of accessories. Here you will not see the usual wall paintings, family photos and panels. For decoration, advertising posters, road signs, graffiti, abstract painting, computer copies of paintings by famous artists and sign boards are used.
Of course, you can add the usual elements of decor, just try to make them as close as possible to the general urban concept and not disturb the style of the room. For the loft style, get high floor vases, beautiful lamps and various trinkets.
Features of the design of the kitchen
- To create a loft style kitchen you need more room. For her ideal brick or concrete walls, painted with paint. Paint the ceiling in the same color as the walls. If there are old beams on the ceiling, they are usually left intact, or even specially emphasized, painted in a dark color.
- The floor in the kitchen is made of natural wood (it is better to use a board made of natural solid wood or piece parquet).
- Kitchen set get big, having it not on one wall, and disperse on all room of kitchen. Kitchen equipment and stove choose the ultra-modern, or use models in retro style. A very fashionable interior item is a retro fridge with rounded shapes, often even looking specifically for a fridge of unconventional and unusual colors - blue, pink or yellow.
- "Apron" of the kitchen can be chosen from almost any material - tile, mosaic or stainless steel. Prefer dim colors. The color scale is muted - gray, blue, brown.
- Kitchen furniture is not different pretentiousness. There should be a lot of open shelves with exposed dishes and other utensils. Cookware preferably copper or aged with patina. The facades of wooden furniture or MDF wood, plastic facades are extremely rare.
- The dining table is long, at least 6 people. You can make the table a continuation of the kitchen. It can also be on wheels, so that at any time it can be moved to another part of the room. The table’s texture is a bit coarse of wood and the appropriate chairs for it are picked up. Often there is a bar.
- One of the main elements that distinguishes the kitchen in the loft style is the paraphernalia of communication - exhaust pipes, wires hidden in metal boxes, retro-style sockets.
Loft style: photo variants
Loft is a trendy style that has long taken root in the West. It harmoniously combines the old and the new. With the right approach, the loft can look great in an open-plan city apartment, and in a compact country house.