To grow a lemon from a stone at home is decided only by avid amateur growers. At the initial stages of development, this citrus plant requires a lot of attention, and begins to bear fruit many, many years later. But believe me - the occupation is worth it, because the process itself is very exciting.
Collect and prepare!
Decorative lemon tree grown at home, will be a great addition to the design of any interior. And although the fruits of this plant are slightly different from the usual for us lemons in shape and size, they are not less than a gram of commercial products in terms of taste. In addition, a lemon tree is a pledge of clean air in the apartment and the presence of pleasant citrus notes.
How to plant a lemon bone at home? First you need to prepare material for planting. To do this, you have to go to the nearest supermarket and choose a big yellow lemon, preferably of organic origin.
Of course, you can be satisfied with artificially grown fruits, but who knows what the manufacturer sprayed the plant for vigorous growth. When buying, it would be good to once again make sure that the fruit is sufficiently ripe, since only ripe and juicy lemon will be suitable for planting.
Once the desired citrus fruit is selected, your actions should be as follows:
- Carefully cut the lemon so that all the bones remain safe and sound.
- We remove the bones and wash each individually with warm boiled water to get rid of the excess and unnecessary pulp.
- Then we take two cotton discs, and we moisten each of them with water. On one of the disks lay out the lemon seeds near each other and cover with the other half.
- We place all this construction on a plastic cover and wrap it in a plastic bag in order to preserve moisture.
- If you decide to start growing lemon in the winter when there is heating in the apartment, then install the lid on the grille, placing a kitchen towel under it.
- If the idea to grow lemons came to you in the summer, then the design with grains can be installed on a sunny window sill.
- Now you need to wait for the moment when the kernels swell a little. Every day, open the polyethylene and check the condition of the bones, at the same time and a little air them for about 1 minute.
- In about a week, the bones will swell enough and will be suitable for planting in the ground.
We start landing
Now it's time to plant a lemon from a stone at home. We stock up in advance with soil, a clay pot and expanded clay. Land is better to buy in special stores, focused on the cultivation of citrus trees. Then we follow the following principles:
- We pour a drainage on the bottom of the pot, we have it expanded clay, we cover it with earth on top, not reaching the base of the container about 2-3 centimeters.
- Then we moisten the soil with ordinary boiled water and with the help of a long stick we make holes in it: one for each grain with a depth of about 1-1.5 cm.
- Grab the seed with tweezers and gently lower it into the earthen hole. When all the seeds have moved from the cover to the soil, sprinkle them with fresh earth on top of another 1 cm.
- Now the seeds are watered thoroughly until the earth completely absorbs moisture. Cover the pot with cling film and fix it with a regular rubber band.
- We make several holes in the film for air penetration and remove the pot on the sunny window-sill. In winter, the pot can be put on the grille, having previously placed a piece of foam about 2 cm thick under it.
With this method of growing a lemon from a stone at home, the first shoots will appear in about three weeks, and there will be two sprouts from one seed. The seedling, which is weak, must be carefully removed.
Home Citrus Plant Care Basics
The lemon tree of this type of cultivation is better than its stem cuttings; it adapts to pot life and the temperature conditions of the apartment. The plant is practically not sick, the parasites are terrible to him only in extremely rare cases, and the root system is developed much stronger.
After the first sprouts have appeared in the pot, the film from it must be removed and the plant should be taught to room living conditions. Caring for home-grown lemon seeds should be of the following nature:
- Watering - moderate, without fanaticism. In the summer, it is enough to moisten the soil 3 times a week, and in the winter periods the amount of watering is reduced to two times.
- Cleaning: weeds and other germination in the pot must be regularly and scrupulously removed. The leaves should be wiped from dust with a damp cloth and regularly sprayed with warm water from a spray bottle.
- Transplantation is carried out with the growth of the tree. It is recommended to relocate the plant no more than once a year in a pot of larger diameter.
- Feed: it must be carried out during periods of seasonal transitions of mineral, combined and organic fertilizers.
- Placement: it is best to place a lemon tree on window sills or sufficiently illuminated, windless places in the apartment. In this case, it is recommended to turn the pot at least once a week on its axis.
When creating such conditions, the lemon tree will actively grow during the first five years of life. Then the plant goes into the stage of maturation and requires less care. The first fruits from a homemade citrus plant grown from a stone can be tasted only after 7-10 years.
Homemade decorative lemons - the trees are very beautiful and pleasantly smelling. They create a special atmosphere in the house, filling the air with aroma and delighting the eye with constantly green foliage. Growing a real room lemon is a long process and is not suitable for particularly impatient flower growers. But those of you who still dare to do this kind of home gardening can get a lot of pleasure from lemon cultivation and eventually enjoy the fruits of their labors.