Preparations for the winter is a useful and responsible business that requires not only respecting the proportions of the formulation, but also the use of proper storage technology - for example, autoclaving. Can I make an autoclave for home canning with my own hands? What should be considered when making it and what are the reviews about the results?
Adaptation for thrifty and economical
An autoclave is a device in the form of a container made of a material that is durable and resistant to high temperatures and that creates high pressure inside. The main task of the unit is to provide airtightness to maintain the conditions necessary for chemical reactions.
The device is used not only in medicine and industry, but also in household items - to sterilize canned food. The autoclave is convenient because of the high rates of pressure and temperature killed disease-causing bacteria. This is very essential for the storage of certain types of products, such as meat. So in order for the homemade stew not to disappear, you need to close it with the help of similar devices. Therefore, videos, drawings and diagrams describing how to make an autoclave with your own hands will be very useful for zealous owners.
Required materials and tools
In order to recreate at home a device for hermetic storage of products, it is desirable to have experience with a welding machine: in this case, the fastening of parts will be much stronger. If this does not arise difficulties, then we can move on. So, we prepare:
- durable container made of metal (you can use a sheet of metal with a thickness of 4-5 mm);
- cover with special holes for the safety and working valves, as well as for the thermometer;
- rubber seals;
- nuts, screws.
2 ways to make an autoclave on your own
If you have an old gas bottle, a heavy duty receiver or a milk can, then these containers can be an excellent basis for putting into practice instructions describing how to make an autoclave for home canning.
From milk can
- 25-liter can;
- 12 inch car drive;
- pressure plate with a radius of 12 cm;
- 5 steel clamps;
- a set of tools for making holes in the metal;
- thermometer with a scale of up to 150 degrees;
- pressure gauge with a scale of more than 6 bar;
- valve for protection;
- nuts, screws.
- We start with strengthening the bottom. The fact is that under the influence of high pressure values, the flat bottom of a milk can can easily be arched. Therefore, we take the disk and cut it in half.
- We determine the resulting cups on the bottom so that in the narrow upper part they are located opposite each other.
- Insert the metal circle of suitable diameter into the lower bowl, tighten the structure with spacers.
- We install on them a can.
- To strengthen the cylinder cans use clamps, installing them at the same distance from each other.
- Redoing the cover. On the perimeter of the circle we knock it, put the rubber gasket.
- On the pressure plate make 6 holes of 5 mm in radius.
- We install a pressure gauge, a special thermometer, a valve for air bleeding and a safety lever. These devices can be removed from the truck.
- Once again, check the density of fasteners. Homemade autoclave ready.
From gas cylinder
The bottom and walls of the gas cylinder do not require fortifications, but the lid will have to be modified.
- fitting for air injection or valve from the camera of the truck;
- pressure gauge;
- nuts, screws;
- tool for threading.
- On the valve we make the thread M8.
- In the cylinder lid we make a hole with a diameter of 6.8 mm.
- Cut into her thread.
- Screw the valve.
- Fasten it with a locknut.
- Install the thermometer and pressure gauge. Autoclave ready.
Do not forget to check the locks and valves for strength.
It is logical that positive feedback on the results of the efforts can be only with the proper use of the autoclave for home canning. The rules for working with the device are to sequentially perform 7 steps:
- Testing the tightness of the device.
- Heating autoclave.
- Sterilization cans.
- Gradual cooling.
- Creating back pressure by heating and cooling.
- Unloading the device.
Some users call the autoclave a homemade pressure cooker. Most self-made models are converted milk cans. The hostesses say that it is convenient to cook the stew in them, only the banks should be put in no more than 2 rows. Then the autoclave is sent to the stove, and after creating an overpressure, the unit will begin to release steam through the safety valve. The average cooking time per pariah is 1.5-2 hours.
Making an autoclave for home canning is quite difficult. But if you wish, you can find the right instructions, get the necessary tools and set aside a few hours of time for the realization of this engineering thought. But for preparation of preparations for the winter the device is simply irreplaceable. After all, with high pressure and temperature, all harmful microorganisms will die, and, therefore, preservation will be safely stored throughout the winter.