Exquisite, mysterious flower Eustoma (Lisianthus) translates as delicate irish rose, field bell. This plant came from Central America, warm Mexico and from the islands of the Caribbean.
Lisianthus literally subdued all the delicate flowers in various shades (of all shades and can not count - from lilac, pale blue, pink to white, with satin petals), which bloom lasts for several months. The height of the plant Lisianthus reaches 50-70 cm. There are also undersized ones - up to 30 cm high, which are suitable for planting in pots at home.
Growing eustoma at home
If you decide to start breeding eustoma at home, the first thing you need to do is to choose a convenient place for it - the bright diffused light is recommended for the plant.
It does not like when it is very hot, because the heat actually negates all the flowering, so do not take it out and do not put it in the sun, especially in July and August. In winter, a lot of light is quite acceptable. It winters at a temperature of 10 ° C.
Eustoma: planting and care at home
- Landing for eustoma can be done by yourself; peat and humus from bark in equal parts are quite suitable for this. If at hand these components are not, then you can purchase the land in a specialty store, which you will need to sift to remove debris and large lumps.
- If you bought an already flowering plant, then fertilizing this plant is not required.
- It is very important to know: do not use seed boosters, it will ruin the plant.
- If you want to admire a flowering plant in the summer, the seeds are best sown in November-December. Plastic pots for sweets or disposable cups are suitable for sowing. Eustoma seeds (usually sold in the form of granules) are laid out on the surface of the moistened soil, sprayed, covered with plastic wrap or glass and set in a warm place (where the temperature is + 25-28 ° C). To avoid the appearance of mold, our greenhouse should be periodically opened and aired seedlings, as well as to ensure that the earth does not dry out.
- In the process of growing such a flower, you will need patience, as sometimes Eustoma slows down its growth for a long time, stops at one place. So it increases the root system. If the seeds did not come up, then you can pierce the granules with seeds, thereby helping their germination.
- Ten days later, the first shoots should appear, and when the leaves open, the molds can be pulled out of the greenhouse and placed under the lamp. The lamp is recommended to be placed at a distance of no more than 25 cm above the seedlings. And now, they appear, the first leaves! If the seed has sprouted, then there is no need to worry, it will grow and cling to life.
- As soon as two pairs of leaflets appear, begin to dive into separate bowls. Replant seedlings can only be when they reach 15 cm in height. It must be remembered that Eustoma has a small, fibrous root system, so transplant the plants as carefully as possible.. Violation of the root system can lead to the death of the resulting plots.
- Eustoma can immediately be planted in open ground, but if this is not possible, then an ordinary 2-2.5 liter pot will do. There will fit three plants.
- During the growth period it is better to put the flower in a bright place. And the care itself is watering (use warm water, but do not wet the leaves and make sure to have good drainage) and do not forget about fertilizing with mineral fertilizer.
The secrets of flowering eustoma
- After watering the eustoma, it is imperative to drain the water from the pan.
- For a good flowering plant is better to put in a cool and well-ventilated room.
- As soon as you see the pests, immediately treat the plant to prevent spread to other plants.
Eustoma: diseases and pests
As for pests, Lisianthus is a susceptible mushroom mosquito, the spread of fungal diseases, the so-called fusarium wilt, gray rot, powdery mildew. It manifests itself in the form of a white mealy plaque, both on leaflets and on shoots, high humidity and low temperature contribute to its appearance.
As they say, it is better to warn than to treat. Therefore, in the process of growing it is necessary to periodically carry out preventive spraying with drugs for diseases. But if you find pests, then treat the plant as soon as possible to prevent their spread. To combat using drugs such as Topsin, Saprol. Spray 2-3 times with different preparations.
The main pests of eustoma are whitefly, mites, miners, slugs, aphid. Against these pests, the best drugs are Confidor, Mospilan, Fitoverm.
There is nothing difficult in the process of planting and caring for seedlings of such a fragile and delicate flower, the main thing to remember are some of the nuances associated with its germination and growth, and you will certainly be able to grow it at home! You will receive inexpressible impressions, this is a very interesting and fascinating process. And when the flower will delight you with delicate flowering, you will never be able to abandon it.
See also: How to grow a seed from seed?
Eustoma is perfect for decorating the veranda, the interior of an apartment or house, its flowers do not fade for a very long time and resemble a cloud a little, but what color it will be, you choose.
Beauty is near you, let it into your world!