Collections of famous designers sometimes amaze with non-standard solutions and ideas that would otherwise seem ridiculous, but come out of masterpieces from under the master's hand. Caps with cat ears could also be perceived as a hello from childhood, but suddenly appeared on the catwalks of the world.
They have become the subject of desire fashionistas of all ages who are not afraid to stand out from the crowd. A similar thing is easy to do yourself, giving the work just a couple of free evenings.
Hat with a cat's ears: knitting patterns and tips needlewomen
Such a product can be performed in 2 different ways: the simplest option is to knit a normal fitting cap, to which separately connected ears are added; Professionals call the creation of a solid product, in which the “ears” are hollow, as a more complex algorithm. Moreover, the latter option can also be carried out, as a circular viscous, and forming 2 separate parts, connecting the side seams. Which way to choose is up to you. If we talk about visual perception, the one-piece cap is more versatile, especially if the “ears” are not underlined by color, but added to a tight-fitting silhouette, they are most often present on children's products, where they intentionally focus on the unusual appearance of the thing.
Before you begin work, you need to carry out measurement: find out the exact girth of the head, putting the centimeter tape on the frontal part of the eyebrows, as well as on the convex occipital point. You also need to know the depth, which is measured from the crown to the middle of the ear, to the forehead and to the back of the head.
- The lightest pattern of a hat with a cat's ears is a square (maybe slightly elongated, depending on the measurement results), which is slightly concave on the upper narrow side. There will be 2 such parts, at the end of the work they will be connected along the perimeter. Knitting is best to start from the edge, which is a classic eraser: alternating facial and back loops 2 through 3. This zone can be made larger if you plan to bend it, or you can replace the "elastic" with solid back loops.
- With a girth of 48 cm, it is necessary to gain 37 loops, knit 5 cm with an "elastic band" and the rest (cap depth) of garter stitch: on the front side of the loops, on the purl - purl. If the “ears” need to be clearly marked, another 5–7 is added behind the last row, however, first close the 17 loops in the middle, then 21, 25, 29 and 31, leaving the “triangles” on the sides. In the same way fit the 2nd part, after which they are connected. The “ears” are separated from the cap itself by a diagonal line so that they cannot be accessed from within.
If the "ears" are not emphasized, it turns out just a rectangular cap, which at the time of putting on takes an interesting shape; It can be supplemented with a beautiful pattern - for example, braids. In the case when it is knitted for a child, you can use a contrasting (most often, black) yarn to embroider a cat's face: circles, eyes, nose, mustache, and also initially change the color of the ears by entering another thread. However, children are most often knitted according to the alternative scheme presented below.
- Knitting on circular needles is the most attractive for children's products, because it prevents the appearance of stitches, which often cause discomfort to the child. Dial 56 loops (for a child of 7-9 years), knit a row and carefully distribute all the loops along the fishing line. Before knitting, it is recommended to hold it in hot water, thereby reducing the likelihood of twisting. For such knitting, professionals advise knitting needles of 5 or 6 numbers, as well as dense yarn: then the product will hold the shape.
- The hem, especially in children's things, is most often performed with an "elastic", the width of which depends on which silhouette will have the product. If you bend it, it is not taken into account in the total depth of the cap, so after the "gum" you will need to knit 18-23 cm with the main pattern. Since for this thing the main decor is the ears, try to choose the least catchy pattern on the main canvas, so as not to overload it.
- The decrease in the number of loops begins as it approaches the crown, for which 2 loops are taken evenly together 4 times per row. When there are 8 loops left, a working thread is drawn through them, removed to the wrong side and fixed.
- The ears fit even easier than the cap itself: You need to perform on ordinary (not circular) knitting needles 2 or 4 triangles, the base of which is 28 loops, and the top 4 loops. Narrowing - on 2 loops (from each edge on 1), on each even row. You can knit 2 triangles at once, each of which comes from a separate coil.
The main difficulty for beginner craftswomen is caused by ears: even when they are dense, assembled from 2 parts, they often fall off, which would be suitable for a hat-bunny, but not for a cat. How to make them stand? Sew on a triangle not clearly along the side seam (for circular knitting - imaginary), but with a bend: the base of the triangle should form a semicircle, as a result of which it will acquire the missing stability.
Children's cat-headband with ties
It is difficult to argue with the fact that this kind of things look the most interesting at the smallest ones: sometimes young mothers are so keen on creating new things for their offspring that you can compose a zoo. In addition to the aesthetic side of the issue, a practical one appears in the form of replenishing the luggage of a child’s knowledge of the animal world. The hat with the cat's ears for a child up to the year fits in according to the scheme of a classic cap with ties, and, as in the adult version discussed above, the only difficulty can be ears. Based on this cap, you can make a monkey hat, a hare hat, etc.
- The average sizes of experts call the following: children up to 3 months. they take a head circumference of 40 cm, up to half a year - 44 cm, up to a year - 46 cm. Then every year add 1-2 cm to the established values. The depth for the smallest is usually 14-16 cm and increases slightly. But, of course, it would be much more correct to measure the baby’s head, given that the cap should be free to sit and not crush.
- Since the ears fit and fasten to the product in the same way as in the adult version, I would like to focus the attention of the beginning masters on the algorithm of working directly with the bonnet. It is recommended to knit from several components: the back is a rectangle, the rest (side and top) are trapezium with minimal flaking, which can be either 3 or 5. The short bases of the trapezium will be joined to the back rectangle, and the long ones will frame the face baby
- There is also an alternative option: the needles gain the number of loops that will create the front edge of the cap, then a wide rectangle is knitted from them - it should lie on the parietal zone and close it completely and the sides of the head. Then the loops of the side zones (1/3 on each side) are closed, and the central one is knitted for the length of this 1/3, forming the back part of the cap.
Regardless of what scheme of work you have chosen, at the last stage the product is crocheted, strings are added, which will fix the cap on the head, as well as the ears.
In conclusion, it should be said about the most difficult moment - calculating the number of loops on the outer edge: the gum zone. Experts advise starting knitting with a crown, i.e. from the main part of the product, and only at the very end, add rows of elastic to fit the cap on the head as precisely and tightly as possible.