Cabbage is grown almost all gardeners. But for the most part these are common white-colored varieties, occasionally colored or broccoli. But for some reason, some species are deprived of attention, for example, Brussels sprouts. Although it is not the last place among vegetables, both in taste and benefit.
How to grow brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts are unusual not only fruits, but also the bush itself. Tall stem, 50-60 cm long, with a lush top and lots of leaves with a bubbly surface and a large number of small heads of 4 cm in diameter. Each of them weighs no more than 15 g. But Brussels sprouts differ from other vegetables of their own type only fruit. It is worth remembering that this is a two-year culture. Though it bears fruit already in the first year, it only sets the seeds in the second.
Cultivation of Brussels sprouts is possible even for a beginning summer resident. True, this will have to diligently study all the rules of care and breeding, to assimilate certain nuances inherent in this culture.
In the middle lane, the vegetable grows without any problems, if you correctly select the site and prepare the seedlings. The process begins in the fall, when the soil is harvested. First, determine the landing site. Brussels sprouts must have sunrays, so the light-flooded area is much preferable to the shaded area. In this case, the plant must be protected from strong winds. Because it is often recommended to look for low areas.
A good vegetable transfers and light autumn frosts, so they do not need to be protected from them. But a lot of attention is paid to the chemical composition of the substrate. First, Brussels sprouts are not planted where any members of this family grew before. Choose the soil previously occupied by potatoes, legumes, any cereal, beets. If you need to move it to the area where cabbage once grew (any), you should wait for 4 g.
The soil is desirable loamy, and its acid-base balance is neutral or with a weak shift towards acidity. What exactly should not be so is too heavy soil rich in clay, or diametrically opposed to her light sand. Organic is made mandatory in the autumn, when the plot is harvested.
If the decision to plant was made in the spring, humus is introduced during the digging up of the ground or clearly into the hole during the landing of the seedlings. Excessive spring soil enrichment will lead to the fact that instead of a rich harvest, Brussels sprouts will give lush foliage. The cabbages themselves, in addition to being late, will turn out to be smaller than expected.
- The cultivation of most crops originates from their sowing. In the case of Brussels sprouts nothing changes. The most favorable time for this is the beginning or middle of March. And, of course, work with seedlings will be carried out at home. Strengthened saplings are planted in open ground not earlier than May. In regions with early spring, you can transfer seedlings to a greenhouse or greenhouse already in early April. What is interesting, in the last lighting should be little, while an adult plant likes abundant sun.
- The composition of the soil for seedlings of Brussels sprouts is identical to that suitable for white cabbage. This is either turf with peat in the same proportion, or turf with humus and peat (2: 1: 2). Recommended containers for planting organic. Usually these are cups of peat pressed with humus. When transplanted, they will have to remove the seedlings, and the container will serve as an additional source of valuable substances.
- Experienced gardeners recommend not to buy cups, and peat tablets coated with synthetic mesh. With them, the technique is slightly modified: the seed is laid deep into the pill, after which it gains strength until the root system begins to look out. Only after that the tablet moves to a container with the ground, where the seedling will grow until the day of planting in open ground.
- If the tanks for landing are not taken separately, but a large box is used, it is necessary to maintain a distance of between 7-8 cm between rows. In addition, a free zone of 4 cm is required from seed to seed, depth is 1 cm. to speed up this process and create a natural greenhouse. Glasses or box cleaned in the shade, in the heat.
- During the entire period required for the emergence of sprouts and the gain of strength by the root system, it is important to remember about 2 things: airing and watering. To do this, remove the glass every day, remove the condensate, and moisten the soil, if necessary. In addition, the seedlings are required to feed. For the first time such a process is carried out when the 2nd true leaf is turned on, and after that - in 1.5 weeks. First, 1 g of water is taken in 1 g of potassium-rich fertilizers and superphosphate, as well as 2 g of urea. Then for the same amount of water - the amount of feeding in 2 times more.
Features care zabrusselskoy cabbage
Pickling seedlings of Brussels sprouts must be done after 1.5 months from the date of sowing. By this time, usually 4-5 adult sheets are already observed in saplings, which indicates the readiness of the culture for further actions.
Attention will have to be paid to a few more nuances during the transplantation of plants into open ground. For example, to prevent their thickening in the garden. The scheme, which experienced gardeners propose to use here, looks like 0.6 by 0.6 m or 0.6 by 0.7 m. This is enough to allow an adult culture to develop freely. At the same time, at the time of disembarkation, it is necessary to take care of the proper penetration: the bottommost sheet should touch the ground.
Top dressing is one of the most important details in the cultivation of Brussels sprouts. Although their main period falls on finding saplings at home, before their transplant the soil is shed by a weak solution of potassium permanganate. After that it is necessary to fertilize the ground several times with a solution of mullein. The most valuable substances for it are potassium and nitrogen. In addition, the culture of moisture-loving, so watering is to become more frequent, if it does not occur naturally.
An important point in the care of Brussels sprouts, distinguishing it from other species - no need to spud culture. It is required to clean it only in October, when the cabbages will get stronger, and the yellowed leaves will fall off. After all, this is the most cold-resistant culture: and when the temperature drops to - 8 degrees, it is able to produce a good harvest. Subsequently, the stem should be cut down right at the root, breaking off the remaining leaves.
- Of the varieties of Brussels sprouts available on the market, popularity gained only 2. 1st under the name "Hercules". According to its nutritional properties, it really has something in common with oatmeal of the same name. There is more protein in it than in many other vegetable sources, the same can be said about vitamin C. At the same time, the fruits are excellent for preservation. But this variety is late ripening.
- Of the early ones, a specimen with the name "Brilliant" has proven itself well. This is a hybrid that is not subject to branding. Harvesting with him is already in September. Many other varieties - Rubin, Trafalgar and the rest - will give heads only in December, January or even February.
Since the growing season in this culture is long, you should not lose the free space that appeared between the rows formed by bushes. Tomatoes and cucumbers, as well as all kinds of peppers, will be excellent here. The main thing is that these be early ripe varieties.
Gardeners with great experience to all those who want to get a richer harvest are recommended to break off the top of the bush when the first small heads of cabbages appear. This will not allow the plant to stretch up.
Brussels sprouts - a vegetable that, along with excellent taste and a lot of useful properties, is quite unpretentious in the care. It can be planted on almost any kind of soil, except heavy. The only difficulty can be considered periodic feeding and watering culture.