On the beneficial properties of semolina can long argue. In Soviet times, it was introduced into the diet of a child from six months. Today, there are many opponents of this dish, calling it harmful and too high in calories. However, semolina does not disappear from the menu of Russians and is still loved by adults and kids. What is useful semolina?
What is semolina?
In nature, there is no such grain as semolina. Groats are produced by grinding the endosperm of wheat grains. The color of semolina and its size will depend on the type of wheat used as a basis. There are hard and soft varieties of grains.
Quality semolina has a cream or white color (depending on the type of wheat), well crumbles. If lumps are found in the semolina, it is better not to use it for cooking, since it is most likely damp.
You can store cereal at home in glass jars for 10 months.
Is semolina useful?
The question is quite controversial. The answer to it will depend on the age, build of the person and other individual indicators.
Semolina can not be called a dietary product. In its dry form, its caloric content is 98-100 kcal per 100 g, and semolina boiled in water increases the caloric content to 340 kcal per 100 g of the finished product. It has a lot of starch and carbohydrates, which are not recommended for weight loss.
At the same time, use semolina 1-2 times a week is useful for the condition of the body:
- B vitamins have a beneficial effect on the state of the nervous and immune systems;
- silicon contributes to the preservation of the teeth and bone strength;
- normalizes the gastrointestinal tract by enveloping the stomach and neutralizes the effects of the acidic environment;
- a high content of potassium and magnesium has a beneficial effect on the work of the heart and blood vessels;
- Vitamin E is good for growing children.
Patients and elderly people with exhaustion and after surgery are advised to consume semolina to restore energy reserves due to the large amount of easily digestible carbohydrates. For the same reason, semolina is recommended for children, but no more than 1-2 times a week.
The secrets of tasty porridge
- Eat semolina for breakfast. During the day, the body turns the carbohydrates into energy, which is completely consumed during the day.
- To avoid the harmful effects of phytin and gluten, do not abuse the semolina. It is enough to eat 2-3 servings during the week.
- Choose cream colored semolina in stores. It is made from durum wheat and is absorbed more slowly. This reduces the risk of converting carbohydrates into fat pad.
- Cook semolina on the water or dilute it in half with skim milk. Calorie supplements, such as condensed milk, jam, jams, sugar, butter, make porridge tasty, but increase its calorie content.
It is also important to cook porridge correctly.
Although cooking semolina is a quick and easy process, there are many nuances. Often housewives complain of burnt milk or lumps formed during the cooking process. To prevent this, put semolina in cold milk or water and stir constantly until boiling. Then reduce the heat and thicken the porridge. With this method of cooking you will avoid unwanted surprises.
Traditional cooking method
- 1 tbsp. milk and water;
- 2 tbsp. l semolina;
- sugar to taste.
- Pour water and milk into the dish.
- We put on the middle fire.
- We pour out semolina and bring to a boil, stirring regularly.
- Reduce the heat and cook to a thick consistency.
- Remove porridge from the heat, add sugar to taste.
For children under one year, prepare 5% or 10% semolina porridge, depending on age. For older guys fit the traditional recipe semolina.
Manca from multicooker
If there is a slow cooker, the process of cooking porridge can be further facilitated.
- 2 tbsp. milk;
- 1.5 Art. water;
- 0.5 tbsp. semolina;
- butter to taste.
- Put all the ingredients into the multicooker bowl.
- Put on the mode "Milk porridge".
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- 5 minutes after switching on, it is recommended to mix the porridge so as not to form lumps.
Semolina is a product on which generations have grown. She gave our grandparents health and energy. Asking yourself the question of what is useful or harmful semolina for the body, you should not refuse it categorically. With a reasonable approach to organizing the menu, it will become a tasty and indispensable dish on your table.