Modern man has a huge amount of knowledge from different areas, but sometimes questions arise. So, we are used to replacing many complex medical terms with understandable and easy to pronounce. Therefore, today not everyone knows that it is necessary to answer the question whether the saline and sodium chloride are the same?
The relationship between saline and sodium chloride
Sodium chloride is saline, which is used for various manipulations. It is affordable (from 18 rubles) and a fairly effective medical tool that does not lose to its more expensive counterparts. In its composition, sodium chloride has table salt, which determines the taste characteristics.
Saline is most often used for:
- Washing of wounds;
- Rinsing eyes;
- Flushing of the nose;
Saline wound washing
A wound is damage to the skin, which can be in the form of a scratch, cut or abrasion. If it is shallow, then you can handle it yourself with the help of saline. For this you need:
- The person who will wash the wound, wash their hands;
- Remove from the wound foreign objects: glass, villi, etc.;
- Pour saline on the wound and rinse it well. Dilute sodium chloride with other drugs is not necessary;
- Lubricate with iodine or brilliant green. If there is a chance of contamination, then a bandage can be applied.
Sodium chloride eye wash
The eyes are a vital organ of a person that is subject to various external influences. For example, a speck or chemicals could get into the eye. Also, the eyes can become the subject of an infectious disease, conjunctivitis is not uncommon. And here, saline can also come to the rescue, but you need to know the rules for washing the eyes with this tool:
- If you make the solution yourself, you need to correctly prepare it. This requires take 1 tsp. clean salt and 1 liter of boiled water. Next, the salt is thoroughly dissolved in the liquid;
- With a homemade solution or ready from the pharmacy, carefully bury it in the eyes with a pipette;
- We wait for a while and remove excess liquid with a cotton pad.
Nasal mucosa washing with saline
The purpose of washing the nose with sodium chloride is to clean the mucous membrane, it is worth noting that only part of the nose can be washed in this way. So, in the maxillary and frontal sinuses with saline you will not get.
In order for this procedure to be useful and effective, you need to adhere to the technology:
- Washing is better to do over the sink or some capacity;
- The head should be tilted forward and slightly to the side so that the nasal passages are parallel to the floor. This situation is necessary so that sodium chloride does not get into the auditory tubes, as this may cause otitis in the future;
- The fluid is poured into one nostril, the mouth at this time is in the open state, through it there will be a solution coming out. If you want the liquid to flow out of the other nostril, then say “and” during the procedure.
Sodium chloride inhalation
Sodium chloride is also a saline solution for inhalation, which effectively helps to fight against diseases of the respiratory system, eliminating mucus and sputum.
The procedure is carried out using an inhaler, to which add 2-3 ml of a solution at room temperature. At the same time, remember that:
- It is not recommended to inhale if an hour or half an hour ago the patient had a meal;
- Within an hour after the procedure, one should not hold conversations, walk in the street, eat;
- Inhalation should be done through the mouth, and before leaving you need to hold your breath for a few seconds;
- Inhalation should not last more than 10 minutes, and for a child - 2 minutes;
- After the procedure, the inhaler should be washed with boiled water and dried.
Now you know that sodium chloride and saline denote the same medical device. It can be used for various manipulations: washing of wounds, eyes, nose, inhalations. However, before the procedures, you should familiarize yourself with the rules of their conduct, and, if necessary, obtain expert advice.