Lack of vitamins and trace elements in the human body can cause serious illness. Calcium is one of the most important substances involved in tissue metabolism. If you have been prescribed calcium gluconate, for which purpose you should take this remedy - every interested patient who is not indifferent to the state of his health should be interested.
Calcium gluconate - a broad-spectrum drug
Calcium gluconate - a medical product created on the basis of calcium salt, which normalizes tissue metabolism in the body. Hypocalcemia (calcium deficiency) leads to significant disturbances in the functioning of organs and body systems. Pathologies of cardiac activity, low blood clotting, destruction of teeth, nails, hair loss, frequent fractures can disturb you because of the banal lack of such a mineral.
Indications for use
The course of treatment with the participation of such drugs is prescribed for the detection of:
- high vascular permeability;
- parathyroid hormone deficiency;
- toxic liver damage;
- chemical poisoning;
- skin problems, especially eczema and psoriasis;
- sensitization triggered by medications;
- chronic problems of the organs of the respiratory system (calcium gluconate is also effective for a cold - due to the fact that during inflammation it protects the vessels from thinning and diminishing strength, reduces intoxication);
- inflammations in the pelvic organs;
- child growth retardation.
Calcium gluconate is a must-have in the first-aid kit:
- future moms who want to avoid gynecological diseases and provide the fetus with micronutrients necessary for normal development, as well as breastfeeding;
- caring parents who are concerned about the health of the child during the period of active growth;
- all suffering from hypocalcemia.
Buy calcium gluconate in ampoules or tablets: is there a difference?
Many patients are convinced that the drug, regardless of the form of release, acts in the same way. Remember: there are differences between the indications for the use of the drug calcium gluconate (tablets) and calcium gluconate (shots).
Typically, 500 mg of active ingredient is included in 1 tablet. But you can find forms, where only 250 mg of the main substance. The necessary dosage, based on your history, can be determined only by a specialist. Infants up to 12 months old are prescribed 1,500 mg per day in 3 divided doses. Before giving medicine to a child:
- Crush the tablet thoroughly until it forms a uniform powder.
- Put the powder in a small amount of expressed breast milk or formula.
- Stir the resulting drink.
- Wait until the product is completely dissolved.
Kids of 2 years of age also take the remedy 3 times a day, the daily dose is 3 g; From the age of 5, you can increase the amount to 1.5 g per dose. Children are prescribed calcium preparations in tablets, because their skin is more sensitive, and there is a risk of soft tissue necrosis in the case of an intravenous or intramuscular injection. Adult patients should take 1 to 3 g per day. It is recommended to drink a pill with a glass of water (you can also take milk) to prevent the formation of kidney stones.
Intravenous hot injections of calcium gluconate are done very slowly, as the substance is instantly absorbed into the blood. A single dose of 500 mg, with drip, is 1 g. If, in the event of a medical error, the drug begins to flow past the vein, soft tissue may fall out around the injection site.
A 10 ml ampoule contains 1 g of calcium gluconate - this is the normal dose for a single administration according to the instructions. This amount of medication is administered intramuscularly every other day, although doses may vary depending on the severity of the disease.
Oral (tableted) calcium gluconate will not have the expected effect if:-
- you have a powerful allergic reaction to the point of anaphylactic shock;
- bleeding of different localization has opened;
- there is intoxication with salts of magnesium and fluoric acid.
But in these situations, the composition of the first-aid kit for emergency measures includes ampoules with this medicine.
Who is the drug taboo?
Despite the fact that calcium is not an alien chemical element for the organism, preparations with it are not recommended for certain categories of patients. First of all, we are talking about those who have found hypercalcemia - an excess of this mineral in blood serum. Without a survey, do not take calcium gluconate, for which you need to increase the level of calcium in the blood - only the doctor will explain. In addition, the use of this medication is not recommended if you have:
- increased blood clotting (increases the risk of blood clots);
- severe renal failure;
- urolithiasis disease;
- vasospasm (neutralizes the action of calcium channel blockers that weaken the walls of blood vessels).
Side effects of calcium gluconate include:
- digestive disorders (nausea, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea);
- sensation of heat throughout the body, especially on the oral mucosa;
- lower blood pressure;
Remember that the absence of these diseases and the negative effects of taking the drug does not mean that you need calcium therapy. Taking micronutrients, as well as other drugs, cannot be started without test results and consultation with a qualified specialist.
Calcium gluconate: reviews
Patients who, according to doctor's prescriptions, took calcium gluconate, emphasize in reviews that this simple, fairly affordable product helps them to reduce the number of visits to the dentist and trauma surgeon and to improve their general well-being. Parents of children who received calcium gluconate, noticed a lack of problems with the growth and development of the child compared to their peers. Significantly increases the effectiveness of the tool in conjunction with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), which contributes to the digestibility of the element.
Those who complain about the low efficacy of the remedy for serious diseases should not be forgotten: for complex pathologies of calcium, gluconate is used only as part of complex therapy.
Calcium gluconate intake is a tangible help for your body during pregnancy, breastfeeding, in poor condition of nails, hair, caries development and other more problematic conditions. But self-medication is fraught with sad consequences as well as the neglect of the recommendations of the doctor. Visit the clinic in time and be healthy!