By itself, edema, regardless of the area of origin, is a accumulation of fluid in the wrong place due to disruption of the capillaries, which capture it from the space between the cells. Visually, edema is an increase in the volume of a certain zone, and most often it can be seen on the legs or face. Due to the nature of its nature, to get rid of the edema, you need to resort to the fact that it will expel the liquid - diuretic. But what exactly can I use? How to affect only a specific area?
Why does swelling occur?
Most often, women have leg swelling. If we speak not about the visual component of this problem, but about sensations, then it is accompanied by a feeling of heaviness, sometimes even pain, and burning. Long-term manifestation of these symptoms often indicates pathological disorders, but in general, even the most healthy person is not immune from the problem.
- Leg edema can be situational and occur due to drinking too much liquid and salt, which “locks” it in the body. Especially if it is done before bedtime. It is worth noting that such a prerequisite is characteristic of swelling of the face and eyes, abdominal area and any other zone, which, according to the individual features of your body, responds most quickly. However, not every person will suffer after excessive use of salt and water.
- Much more common swelling of the legs, caused by high air temperature, from which the body is forced to defend itself through the expansion of blood vessels. In this regard, pressure drops, and the process of microcirculation becomes complicated, which leads to insufficiently rapid removal of fluid from the extracellular space. In addition, in the heat there is always a saving of moisture inside. For this reason, in order to alleviate the condition of the feet in the summer, it is recommended not to give the legs a strong load.
- The load on the legs - in general, a strong provocateur puffiness: due to uncomfortable posture (clamped vessels), long walking in high heels or just incorrectly chosen shoes, the pressure increases, and microcirculation processes are slowed down. Work on their feet also contributes to the same, as a result of which the Labor Code of the Russian Federation clearly regulates this moment for employers, but it does not follow it everywhere.
If we are not talking about situational occurrences of edema, then it is often preceded by various pathologies. Most often it is a varicose disease, as well as the occurrence of blood clots in the vessels of the legs, stagnation of lymph, but more complex disorders are possible. In particular, problems of the thyroid gland, liver, kidneys, heart failure. Leg edema can accompany diabetics and pregnant women, but they often have fluid accumulation throughout the body.
- It is important to understand that in a healthy person the accumulation of fluid is usually symmetrical: if the legs, then both are in equal parts, if the face is evenly. Asymmetrical edema is often a sign of central nervous system problems.
As for the puffiness of the face, they are mainly observed in the lower jaw, but other zones are also possible, which often make it possible to determine the "culprit" of this problem.
- Swelling under the eyes (the very watery "bags"), doctors associate with the improper functioning of the kidneys, especially if it is accompanied by a change in skin tone to yellowish.
- Edema in the nose indicates inflammation in the paranasal sinuses and / or upper respiratory tract infections.
- The apparent blueness of the face, along with its swelling, often becomes a sign of disorders of the cardiovascular system. An additional symptom pointing to them is shortness of breath, an increase in the area of the right hypochondrium.
In addition, swelling on the face may be associated with less complex factors: the previously mentioned excessive use of salt and fluid at bedtime, overloading the kidneys, increased pressure, a reaction to blood transfusion, the first phase of the menstrual cycle, overwork and lack of sleep, and urinary disorders systems, allergies, surgery.
To get rid of the swelling of any area, it is necessary to resort to diuretics, but it is important to understand that not all situations will work “clean”. If the cause is heart disease, the diuretic will only relieve the symptom for a while, but will not solve the original problem. Therefore, in the case when the edema is not provoked by a random situation, it is necessary to deal with its catalyst, and only after the conclusion of a specialist to select drugs.
Natural diuretics are the safest, they act very gently and usually do not contribute to dehydration, which often occurs when taking pills. However, they cannot act as SOS-means, since they require a full course of 14 days. But various infusions and decoctions can solve the problem of the functioning of the kidneys, affect varicose veins and thrombosis, and frequent pressure rises. Therefore, traditional medicine is more preferable here than medical diuretics.
- The most famous and safest natural diuretic for swelling of the eyes, face and body is bearberry, or it can always be replaced / strengthened with lingonberry leaves. They drink grass with pure decoction, or make a mixture: in particular, with birch buds. The ingredients are taken in equal proportions, 1 tsp. each herb 0.5 liters of boiling water. It is recommended to infuse healing liquid for 15-20 minutes, wrapping the container with a towel to keep it warm. Since the infusion is quite concentrated, it is recommended to take it at 50-70 ml, before meals for 15 minutes. The frequency of admission - up to 3 times per day. Course duration - up to 30 days. If there are no problems with the kidneys, you can add the fruits of juniper.
- In heart failure, the combination of parsley root and calendula flowers, as well as rose hips, works well. The ratio of components is recommended to keep the same, for 1 tsp. each of them to take on 1 liter of water. Boil liquid with herbs for 5 minutes, leave for 60-90 minutes. in a towel and on a warm ring or in a warm oven. Drink 100 ml between meals. The course lasts at least 21 days.
- As a diuretic for edema of the legs, mountain ash juice is often advised: it should be drunk 1-2 tbsp. up to 3 times a day, before meals. You can prepare the drink for the winter, mixed with sugar, adding the same amount of tea. It works well not only as a “wrestler” with edemas that have already appeared, but also as a preventive measure. In addition, in the cold season, it perfectly strengthens the immune system.
- Diuretic for swelling of the eyes is not always focused on the internal use. Liquid can also be excellent for a variety of natural masks - from ground cucumber, parsley, apples, strawberries. They are placed on the swollen area and held for about 15-20 minutes, after which they are removed with warm water. But such a tool is definitely one-time and will not affect the root cause.
During pregnancy, diuretics for edema are extremely difficult to pick up, because the expectant mother must find a drug that does not affect the fetus. Because doctors advise not to resort to pills, as well as focus only on traditional medicine. It is often recommended not so much decoction of herbs as natural fruits and berries.
- Well contribute to the removal of liquid birch, pumpkin, carrot juices that drink 100 ml up to 2 times a day.
- Mashed viburnum berries and / or lingonberries consumed with boiling water and consumed up to 300 ml per day. If necessary, you can sweeten the drink with honey or sugar.
- It is allowed to use the game, blackberry, chokeberry in order to obtain a concentrated juice, but the maximum dose per day is 3 tbsp.
Of the diuretic herbs allowed during pregnancy, doctors call only cowberry leaves, bearberry and birch, horsetail and ortosiphon, birch buds. Please note that bearberry is allowed only leaf, because its fruits contribute to the reduction of the uterus. The same effect has parsley root, juniper berries, as a result of which they are unacceptable to use while waiting for a child.
Medications for edema
As for chemicals, most of them in pharmacies are available without a prescription, and to purchase almost any medication is not difficult. However, it is impossible to make a mistake here: you need to know exactly which pill is aimed at removing fluid from a particular zone, or it will have an impact on a particular cause of edema.
- The softest diuretic is Hypothiazide, which is most often recommended for hypertension. It belongs to the group of thiazides, is contraindicated for pregnant and lactating women, with long-term use may adversely affect the metabolism. The same action has "Arifon".
- Loop diuretics that have an effect on the kidneys have a more pronounced effect: these are "Furosemide", "Bumetanide", "Torasemide". Most often they are recommended for hypertensive crisis, as well as for diabetics, but they are prohibited for violations of the kidneys and liver. In addition, it is important to study their side effects and interactions with certain groups of drugs.
- Aldosterone blockers - the same hormone that prevents the fluid from leaving the body. Among these drugs, the most famous "Veroshpiron", which does not fall to the level of potassium.
If we talk about which of the drugs will give the most pronounced and rapid effect, of course, it will be any representative of looping diuretics. Most often, furosemide tablets are prescribed as a diuretic for edema of the legs, but long-term use of the drug leads to myocardial hypertrophy, so Trifas recommended for replacement is safe for people with heart problems.
Medical diuretics can be selected only after consulting with a specialist, because these drugs have a huge list of side effects. In order to get rid of edema more gently, it is better to use traditional medicine recipes, and for the purpose of prophylaxis in the absence of pathologies, it is more often to include cucumbers, apples, raisins, cranberries and pumpkins in the diet, not to forget about the importance of the water regime and to monitor your diet.