Almost all mothers, sooner or later ask about vitamin D, its lack of body and possible consequences. They are interested in the dosage, the form of the drug and when exactly to give it to the baby. It is worth remembering that vitamin D3 is a special substance, only the doctor can decide the dosage, only the doctor can calculate the dosage.
Vitamin D3: properties
In everyday life, vitamin D means exactly D3 and D2, but in fact it is a whole group of metabolites. Vitamin D2, or ergocalciferol, is secreted from yeast. Vitamin D3 refers to cholecalciferol, which is released from animal tissues. But this is not all types of metabolites, medicine is known.
These products are crystals, odorless and colorless. Vitamin D belongs to the group of fat soluble ie able to dissolve in fats and some organic compounds. Due to this, this group of vitamins can accumulate in the body of the baby.
In addition to drugs with which a vitamin can be supplied, it can also be synthesized in the skin of a child under the influence of sunlight.
Vitamin D provitamins, can be ingested with food or can be partially formed in tissues from cholesterol. But only in the case of exposure to a sufficient amount of sunlight.
It is worth remembering that the synthesis of vitamin D will depend on some factors of sunlight, because the wavelength of the rays, the most favorable average spectrum of waves in the morning or at sunset. It is necessary to take into account the initial pigmentation of the skin; the darker the skin of a child, the less vitamin D is produced when exposed to the sun.
Provitamins of group D can be obtained with food, especially their high concentration in the liver of animals and fish, butter and eggs. An additional source of substance can be natural dairy products. But we must remember that milk contains phosphorus, which can interfere with the absorption of vitamin D.
Why do I need to give vitamin D3 to children?
- The main purpose of vitamin D - ensuring the full growth and development of the bone base of the child, preventing the development of rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults. Vitamin D, like many vitamins, is involved in mineral metabolism, and helps calcium to be fixed in the bone tissue. The main role of vitamin D is to stimulate the absorption of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium from the intestines.
- Work of vitamin D can be estimated as work of vitamin and at the same time as hormone. As a hormonal factor, it contributes to the development of a carrier protein that transports and enhances the reabsorption of calcium.
- The need for vitamin D is not limited only to the protection and strengthening of bones, the body’s resistance to skin diseases, heart diseases and even oncology will depend on its concentration.
Why do you need vitamin D3 for newborns? At birth, the reserves of vitamins D are small or non-existent. And for these reasons, the question arises about the appointment of the drug with its content for newborns. When prescribing and calculating the dosage, it is necessary to be very careful, many factors influence this!
Almost all children born between October and May are given vitamin D drops, the doctor fully calculates the dosage. One of the weighty issues is feeding the child, even if the baby gets breastfed, then with breast milk he gets about 4% of the daily dose. The purpose and need for this vitamin is controlled by blood tests. If the baby does not take vitamin D, then there is a high risk of the development of rickets by the 3rd month of life.
With rickets, the body tries to replenish the required amount of calcium in the blood, by releasing it from the bones - the process of demineralization. It is for these reasons that characteristic symptoms appear - a violation of osteogenesis, a change in the composition of bones; there is a decrease in the concentration of calcium and phosphorus in the blood to those values at which seizures are possible.
Reviews of doctors:
- Despite the need for this vitamin, pediatricians believe that it is impossible to give his baby uncontrollably. An overabundance of a substance is even more dangerous than its deficiency, which is relatively easy to fill. But getting rid of surplus is not so easy, because this is a group of vitamins that are fat soluble, i.e. accumulates in the body and can not be excreted by the kidneys.
- The formation of hypervitaminosis in children up to 6 months occurs after taking 4 million IU of vitamin D3, and in babies from 6 to 8 months 600,000 IU. You can also note the factors that will contribute to the development of hypervitaminosis - protein starvation and increased susceptibility of the child's body to high doses of vitamin D3.
- Excessive concentration of vitamin D in the blood helps to increase bone demineralization and calcium absorption from the intestines. For these reasons, in order to prevent pathologies, the treatment of rickets and vitamin D3 intake should be carried out exclusively under the control of analyzes - samples according to Sulkovich. When interpreting the results, you can clearly see the degree of calcium excretion, the more crosses in the sample, the greater the overdose of vitamin D.
- Clinically, babies with the formation of hypervitaminosis already on day 1–8 have a loss of appetite, vomiting, increased thirst and abdominal pain. In addition, children themselves are weak, sluggish, losing weight, developmental delay, etc., but these are later symptoms.
What drug groups are meant for babies?
For the treatment and prevention of rickets, babies can be given the following groups of drugs:
- Ergocalciferol, or vitamin D2, this chemical compound is the active substance in the following drugs - Aldevit, Vigantol, Viosteron, Vitastreol, etc.
- Oksidevit, is the active substance in "Calcidiol", "Oxyvitamin D3", "Oxycholecalciferol".
- Calcitriol, which by chemical structure is close to the vitamins of group D, for example, Psorkutan.
Ergocalciferol is often prescribed to pregnant women, but not all, in some cases, vitamin D is included in the composition of vitamin complexes for expectant mothers. The purpose of this vitamin for pregnant women in the last period is justified by the prevention of the occurrence of rickets in children. The course is 10 days, during which it is necessary to take 400 - 600 thousand IU. Nursing mothers are shown taking vitamin D 500 IU daily, the course starts from the moment the baby is fed and until the crumb begins to take the drug on its own. For newborns, vitamin D is shown, starting at 3 weeks of age, 500 IU per day, and between October and the end of April, 1000 IU.
Forms of release of the drug are diverse, it can be pills, capsules, drops and even ointments. When using any form, you need to carefully treat the dosage. Oil drops are most often prescribed to babies, for example, in Vigantola, one drop contains 500 IU — the daily dose.
Pricing policy of drugs will depend on the form of release and supply. It is worth remembering that the use of means to say economical, because almost one drop contains a daily need, for these reasons, the drug will last for a long time.
Vitamin D3 - a necessary substance for the development of the baby. It helps to strengthen the bone system, prevent rickets and other diseases. But you need to be careful with the dosage, because overabundance of the substance in the body can lead to serious consequences. In this regard, preparations of vitamin D3 should appoint a pediatrician.