It is very difficult to choose a drug for treating a small child, especially a newborn, but sometimes desperate situations happen. In ophthalmology, Tobrex, a Belgian drug that is a member of the antibiotic group, came to replace the already proven Albucid. It is recommended because of its milder impact, but high efficiency against most bacteria, but is "Tobrex" so good for newborns? What do ordinary consumers say?
Drops "Tobreks" for newborns: features of the drug and instructions
In terms of its active substance, "Tobrex" is included in the group of aminoglycosides - it works for tobramycin, which is remarkable in that it can fight even those microorganisms that are resistant to a number of other antibiotics. In particular, tetracycline, also used in the treatment of children's diseases of an ophthalmologic nature. Of course, the drug is not universal, as well as ineffective in the case of some bacteria.
- Who will Tobrex work against? Gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms, including Pseudomonas and Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus (with the exception of group D), enterobacter.
- The main action of Tobrex is antibacterial, which means that among the indications for use of damage to the eyeball and the areas adjacent to it (including those that were performed during operations) and infections are blepharitis, keratitis, conjunctivitis, etc.
- In addition to tobramycin, Tobrex contains boric acid, sodium hydroxide and sulphate, benzalkonium chloride, as well as tilaxopol and water.
The concentration of the active substance in the solution is 3%, as a result of which the use of Tobrex is permitted even in newborns, but before that it is advisable to consult a doctor. Pregnant drops may also be discharged on the recommendation of a specialist. The rest of the drug has no contraindications.
- For children, "Tobreks" is instilled into a conjunctive sac in 1 drop, the frequency of use depends on the complexity of the disease and the severity of the condition. The newborn is recommended 2-3 times a day, for children from a year to 5 times. Experts advise to focus on the susceptibility of the baby.
- For acute conditions, use of "Tobreks" is allowed every half hour, but the intervals of 4-5 hours are considered optimal.
- The duration of treatment is also determined by the severity of the condition, but it is undesirable to exceed 10 days. For newborns - 7 days. In the absence of positive dynamics during this period, after consulting a doctor, "Tobrex" may be replaced with another drug.
- It is noteworthy that the drops of “Tobrex” in babies can be used not only in conjunctival bags, but also in the nose: such use of the drug is rarely prescribed by otolaryngologists and from the point of view of the pharmacological action of the drug is fully justified. The bacteriological properties of "Tobreks" on the mucous membrane of the nose work no worse than on the mucous membrane of the eye, therefore, indeed, the drug can be used as part of a complex therapy for the sinus sinuses.
Despite the absence of contraindications, individual allergic reactions are possible:
- Itching, burning, redness of the mucous membranes and eyelids. In rare cases, tearing and swelling are allowed.
An important point regarding the use of "Tobreks" in children of school age - if the child wears contact lenses, they need to be removed for the time of instillation of the drug, and it is allowed to put on it again no earlier than in 30 minutes.
The total shelf life of drops from the time of their manufacture is 3 years, but after opening, they are allowed to use only 21 days. Interestingly, some doctors deny the last moment, arguing that under the conditions (dark, cool place) this period is extended to 2 months, without any negative consequences for the body.
Reviews of doctors and parents about the drug
The doctors have shown great confidence in the preparation, and the comments of young parents speak for themselves - in comparison with the same “Albucid”, it is softer, but no less effective.
Anna: "Eye drops" Tobrex "was prescribed to us by a doctor when his son (5 months) had conjunctivitis. It was terrible to use the drug on a small child, used literally drop by drop into each eye: the baby did not cry, although it was obvious that he experienced unpleasant feelings from getting liquid. After sleep, the eyelashes did not stick together, the plaque did not form. The treatment was long, but in the end only Tobrex was enough to completely get rid of conjunctivitis. I didn’t have to resort to other drugs. "
Yuliya: “Before using Tobrex drops on my daughter (7 months), I dripped them myself: I did not experience tingling or burning, even after 3 hours no body reactions were observed. Daughters were buried 3 times a day, for of the week: she frowned, but didn’t show any more discomfort. We moved the drops well, on the 4th day the pus stopped accumulating, but nevertheless prolonged the course for full recovery. "
Regina: “The grandson (1 g and 9 months) was prescribed by the doctor“ Tobreks "when the child began to have ARVI with active separation of greenish mucus from the nose. At the pharmacy I did not ask what drug I was reading the instructions at home and was very surprised There was no talk about any instillations in the nose: the remedy was intended for the treatment of conjunctivitis and similar problems. The doctor asked me for no confusion. I decided to trust, and it turned out not for nothing that the greens changed to dense white discharge, by the 3rd day they became not so abundant, but completely got rid of a cold Day 5: I did not think that the drug would be more effective than all the other drops in the nose that we used before. "
Based on the reviews of "Tobreks", the tool is ideal even for the youngest patients, since it does not cause complications and is well tolerated by a children's sensitive organism. Its only drawback is the high cost, which often leads to the search for analogues, especially if the drug is necessary for the long-term treatment of chronic diseases.