Unfortunately, few people rush to the doctor after feeling pain in the abdomen. And in vain! Any, even the smallest pain can be a signal of a serious disturbance in the work of internal organs. If the pain in the left lower abdomen, you need to take into account that there are a huge number of causes of this phenomenon, most of which can even be divided by gender. Let's find out what causes can cause pain in the lower abdomen in men and women.
Sore left lower abdomen in a woman: the main reasons
Among the most common causes of pain in the lower abdomen in women are:
- premenstrual syndrome;
- pressure of the uterine organ on the overflowing bladder;
- period of the menstrual cycle.
Also, experts note a number of external factors that may cause the appearance of pain in the left lower abdomen of a woman:
- sexual or physical abuse;
- bad habits;
- drug abuse;
- exposure to severe stress.
- Cervical polyps: causes, symptoms, treatment
- Uterus prolapse: symptoms, treatment
Pain in the lower abdomen on the left side may occur due to diverticulosis or congested bowels, stomach cramps, as well as in early pregnancy, when the ligaments with muscles are actively stretched.
Common causes of abdominal pain are chronic or acute inflammatory processes that occur in the genitals of women, such as:
- fallopian tubes;
- the ovaries;
If the lower abdomen pulls a little, the cause may be the occurrence of a cyst and an increase in its size or chronic adnexitis. Pain is caused by adhesions or colpitis, benign growths such as fibroids, and endometriosis. Very often, these diseases are accompanied not only by pain, but also by high fever, general weakness and the appearance of unusual discharge. Having made an analytical study of blood, you can notice a high level of white blood cell count, indicating the presence of an inflammatory process.
If the cause of pain in the lower abdomen on the left is not exactly gynecological in nature, then among the factors that can provoke such a condition, it is worth highlighting the inflammation of the urinary system:
- the presence of kidney stones.
When pathologies of the pelvic organs necessarily arise pain. Among them, a hernia, as well as intestinal deserticulosis and megacolon are distinguished. In this case, the lower abdomen constantly hurts, there is no appetite, and the patient may feel very tired, suffer from flatulence or even hemorrhagic blockage of veins in the rectal region of the digestive system.
Why hurt the left side of the abdomen in men?
Among the common pathologies that cause pain in the lower abdomen on the left side in men, there are:
- Inflammation of the digestive system, development of ulcers in the duodenum or stomach. If the disease is chronic, then the pain is aching in nature, and when the disease becomes acute, it becomes acute and cramping.
- Inflammation of the appendix. Of course, it is located in the right area, closer to the colon, but the pain can be felt on the left side, not appearing to the right. Acute pain is often accompanied by vomiting, severe nausea and high fever.
- Diverticulitis. In this case, the pain is localized to the left. Often, painful cramps are accompanied by nausea, fever.
- Inguinal hernia. This pathology is very serious, the hernia is periodically impaired, causing severe pain, vomiting, nausea or loss of consciousness. This condition requires emergency care.
- Pyelonephritis, the presence of stones or inflammatory processes in the kidneys.
- Orchit. So called inflammatory process of the appendages and testicles, which provokes pain in the groin area.
It is necessary to highlight another cause of pain in the left lower abdomen - oncological processes in the intestine. The pain at the same time appears only in the later stages of the disease, when the size of the tumor increases greatly, and it begins to put pressure on the organs located nearby.
What if the pain does not go away?
If you are worried about pain, it is better to undergo a full examination, because it may be a consequence of the development of chronic diseases that are in the initial stage. For example, the first sign of chronic cystitis is considered a violation of the process of urination, which in the future may turn into urinary retention.
When there is a sharp or acute pain, accompanied by vomiting and pressure drops, you should immediately consult a doctor.
How is the diagnosis?
It is clear that it is simply impossible to determine for yourself why it hurts on the left lower abdomen. This should be done by a specialist. Only a doctor is able to accurately identify the cause of pain and provide effective treatment.
During the diagnosis carried out:
- blood tests;
- determination of the Rh factor, as well as blood type;
- Analysis of urine;
- pregnancy test.
Is it possible to stop nagging pain in the lower abdomen?
If you do not know exactly the cause of the pain, then it is better not to take painkillers yourself before the doctor comes, because they can simply drown out the sensations, smearing the whole picture of the disease. A doctor who does not detect symptoms may not be able to determine timely appendicitis or another dangerous disease. More than 20 people out of a thousand are killed precisely because they were not diagnosed on time.
As you know, any disease is better to prevent than to experience pain and treat it. To do this, it is enough to follow the standard rules of hygiene, subject your body to moderate loads, periodically strengthen the immune system. If you are sedentary, go in for sports. Be sure to watch your diet, rest more. And remember that in case of pain in the lower abdomen, you should seek the advice of a specialist. Be healthy!