One of the frequent phenomena that gives people a lot of anxiety is ringing in their ears and head. The cause of this symptom can be both quite harmless and easily fixed, and quite serious, indicating certain disorders in the body. How can this unpleasant phenomenon be triggered and how to get rid of it?
Tinnitus and headache: cause and treatment
The term "ringing in the ears" (scientifically "tinnitus") refers to the various sounds that a person can hear inside: hum, crackle, buzzing, whistling and noise, reminiscent of the rolling waves. The nature of the sound can sometimes tell why it is ringing in the ears. The causes of this condition may be as follows.
- Harsh and very loud external sounds. The temporary appearance of tinnitus can be triggered by loud music at a concert, firing sounds, explosions nearby. Most often, it is accompanied by a feeling of ear congestion, a decrease in hearing. After a few hours of rest, all these unpleasant symptoms disappear.
- Atmospheric pressure drops. During diving to the depth, as well as air travel there are noises in the head. To remove this condition, it is usually enough to yawn or make a swallowing movement. After returning to the usual conditions, all sensations in the ears are restored.
- Mechanical injury of the skull. Usually the presence of noise is accompanied by dizziness, nausea.
- Inflammation in the ears or nasal cavity. They can be caused by a common cold and are often accompanied by a decrease in hearing.
- Otosclerosis. Due to pathological changes in the state of the bone tissue in the middle ear noise appears.
- Cardiovascular diseases. In diseases such as vegetative-vascular dystonia, arterial hypertension, atherosclerosis, ringing and noise appear in the head, often of a pulsating nature, as well as disturbances of the heart, headaches, pressure surges.
- Osteochondrosis in the cervical region. Clamping nerves causes tinnitus. In addition, there are dizziness, blurred vision, pain in the neck and neck, irritability.
- Meniere's disease. Noises in the head, provoked by an increase in the amount of fluid in the inner ear, are accompanied by impaired coordination, nausea, and lowering of pressure.
- Ototoxic drugs and antibiotics (Streptomycin, Gentamicin, Neomycin) can help reduce hearing and tinnitus.
- Age changes. In this case, the appearance of noise occurs, as a rule, against the background of a gradual deterioration in hearing.
If a pregnant woman (especially in recent months) is ringing in the ears, the causes are associated with an increase in pressure caused by an increase in the amount of circulating blood. This is especially pronounced when climbing the stairs, walking fast, may be accompanied by darkening of the eyes, dizziness, and a feeling of congestion in the ears.
Also at this time often there are various inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx and ears, disrupting the normal functioning of these organs and contributing to the appearance of ringing in the ears and head.
Who to contact?
If there is a ringing in the ears and head and the reason is not associated with changes in atmospheric pressure or other temporary changes, and if this phenomenon does not go away after a few hours, you should contact a specialist for diagnosis.
First of all, this problem is addressed to an ENT specialist, and according to the results of the examination, the patient can be redirected to a neuropathologist, cardiologist or audiologist. Typically, diagnostics include examinations such as:
Depending on the identified cause, treatment is prescribed, which may include medications, reflex and magnetic therapy, massage, electrical stimulation, correction of lifestyle.
Often, to get rid of tinnitus, it is enough just to rest, to be in silence or to listen to calm relaxing music, that is, to create an environment that will bring you out of a state of stress and overwork.
What does traditional medicine advise?
A good effect in getting rid of tinnitus is provided by the methods of traditional medicine. Although to eliminate the root cause, a full-fledged diagnosis and targeted comprehensive treatment are still needed.
- Pound with honey a small amount of fresh viburnum berries, and, wrapping the resulting mixture in a piece of gauze, lay it in your ears for the night. It is necessary to carry out this procedure daily for 2-3 weeks.
- Take 1 onion, cut a hole on its top, pour cumin seeds into it and bake for a quarter of an hour. After that, squeeze the juice out of the vegetable and put 3-4 drops twice a day in each ear. Perform this procedure until the disappearance of unpleasant symptoms.
- Add honey to grated potatoes and stir. Wrap the mixture in gauze and put it in both ears at night. Do the procedure daily until healing.
- Squeeze the juice from raw beets and pour it 3-4 times a day into the ear canals in the amount of 3-4 drops, until complete recovery.
- If the main cause of tinnitus is pressure problems, then it is very effective to drink brewed lemon balm with the addition of mint, strawberry leaves and oregano.
To prevent the occurrence of tinnitus, you must:
- avoid very loud noises;
- to adjust the mode of the day, to have a good quality and sufficient rest;
- avoid stressful situations;
- do self-massage regularly (especially in the neck area and at the base of the skull)
- adjust nutrition;
- regularly undergo inspection by experts.
If tinnitus is disturbed for a long time, it is necessary to begin examination and treatment as soon as possible so that the causes that are not eliminated do not lead to a chronic condition. In addition to the fact that this symptom may indicate a serious illness, it aggravates a negative psycho-emotional state, interfering with proper rest and causing further deterioration in health.