Reflux gastritis - a fairly common disease, which many of us do not attach due importance. The symptoms of its manifestation are so short-lived, and often dimly expressed, that a person decides to endure the pain for several days. However, do not so underestimate this disease, because it can lead to cancer of the stomach and intestines, erosion of the mucous membrane and ulcer.
Today we look at what constitutes reflux gastritis, its symptoms and treatment.
Reflux gastritis - what is it?
For a better understanding of what constitutes reflux gastritis, it is necessary to understand the structure of the digestive system. We all know that the acidity in the stomach and intestines is different. So, for proper digestion of food, the stomach keeps the acid reaction, and the intestine - alkaline. In normal operation of the digestive system of the body, both environments never mix.
But for various reasons, the work of the digestive valves may be disrupted, as a result of which acid from the intestine, along with food residues, goes back to the stomach. This phenomenon in medicine is called reflux, against which gastritis develops. The disease itself does not have an acute form, but occurs as a result of chronic inflammation of the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract.
Symptoms and treatment of the disease
Many people, after taking too fatty or spicy foods, feel discomfort in the chest and in the esophagus - heartburn. The digestive tract is normally considered only when this phenomenon does not occur systematically. If the burning sensation appears fairly regularly and lasts from several hours to two or three days, and also increases after eating, this is a sure sign of reflux gastritis. Saline fluid moves up the throat, and the person experiences a burning pain in the neck and larynx. In some cases, you can feel a bitter or sour taste in your mouth.
Against this background, there may be other symptoms:
- dry cough;
- shortness of breath;
- nausea and vomiting;
- hoarse voice;
- pain when swallowing;
- feeling of coma in the throat;
- pain in the chest or upper abdomen;
- bad breath;
- loss of appetite and a sharp decrease in body weight;
- incessant hiccups;
- bloating and feeling of heaviness in the stomach after eating.
There are cases when all the symptoms, except heartburn, are so dimly expressed that it is very difficult to notice the development of the disease. That is why gastroenterologists recommend never tolerating even the most minor discomfort, and immediately undergo a complete examination of the gastrointestinal tract.
In many cases, with reflux gastritis, doctors strongly recommend changing your lifestyle:
- completely stop smoking and alcohol abuse;
- get rid of excess weight;
- during the day, and especially in the evening, limit the intake of fatty and spicy foods.
To control the symptoms of acid reflux, antacids are initially prescribed, such as:
- Tams et al
All of them are designed to significantly reduce the acidity of the stomach and to establish a normal digestive work. However, such drugs adversely affect the intestinal microflora, therefore, in combination with antacids, prebiotics are prescribed.
If this group of drugs does not help, the doctor may try other medicines or a combination of several drugs at once, for example:
- Gaviscon, Almagel, Rivolox are appointed to prevent reflux;
- To reduce the production of acid by the stomach, H2-blockers are prescribed: Famotidine, Zantaq, Tagamet;
- To reduce the likelihood of damage to the gastric mucosa, proton pump inhibitors are prescribed: Lansoprazole, Pantoprazole, Rabeprazole;
- for quick cleansing of the stomach and reduction of acid reflux, it is recommended to take prokinetics: Domperidone, Motilium, Zerukal.
If medical treatment was not enough, in rare cases, the doctor may recommend surgery.
We relieve symptoms of reflux gastritis with folk remedies
Significantly alleviate the symptoms and speed up recovery with herbal preparations. Folk healers recommend trying these treatments:
- Remove painful discomfort and reduce inflammation of the mucous membrane of the esophagus can be collected such herbs as chamomile, flax, motherwort, lemon balm.
- To prevent the recurrence of symptoms, it is recommended to regularly use a decoction of such plants: dandelion, plantain, shepherd's bag, oregano, chamomile, yarrow.
- Significantly reduce the acidity that occurs after a meal, you can with the help of juices from potatoes or celery.
But carried away by folk remedies, do not forget that this type of treatment is only a supplement to official medicine and in no way should be its replacement. To begin with, it is advisable to consult with your treating gastroenterologist about the possibility of using home decoctions and tinctures with medicines.
As any other disease of the gastrointestinal tract can not do without proper nutrition and a sparing diet, so the treatment of reflux gastritis involves the rejection of certain products. To prevent discomfort in the abdomen, it is necessary to completely abandon the following products:
- fatty, spicy, fried foods;
- alcohol and cigarettes;
- smoked meat;
- home preservation;
- hot spices;
- citrus fruits;
- fresh baking and bread;
- food from fast foods.
Instead, the diet should include such foods:
- all fresh vegetables and fruits, except citrus;
- low-fat dairy and dairy products;
- dietary meat;
- pasta and cereals;
- salt mineral water;
- green and white tea;
- soy products.
Foods with reflux gastritis should be prepared with minimal use of vegetable oils and natural fats. There is a need only warm food and in small portions 4-5 times a day.
Of course, it is impossible to completely recover from reflux gastritis even with the help of medicines. But with a strict diet, proper lifestyle and all the recommendations of the attending physician for a long time to get rid of unpleasant symptoms - quite feasible and realistic task. Be always healthy!