You may not believe it, but medical statistics says that today every second adult lives with a diagnosis of protrusion of the cervical spine. If you are over 30, then there is a very high probability that this disease has already settled in your body. Find out how it manifests and what is needed for recovery.
What is this disease and where is it coming from?
Cervical spinal disc protrusion is a disease in which dystrophic changes occur in the intervertebral discs. They are dehydrated, lose elasticity, their structure changes pathologically. Translated from the Latin "protrusion" - "protrusion of the". This explains the essence of the disease: the intervertebral disc protrudes beyond the boundaries of the spine (without breaking the fibrous ring). This is a precursor of intervertebral hernia.
What can cause the development of a dangerous disease? To him often lead:
- scoliosis, kyphosis, lordosis;
- undeveloped muscular structure of the body;
- sedentary lifestyle or too high physical exertion;
- spinal injuries;
- chronic infections;
- impaired metabolism;
A major role in the occurrence of protrusions is hereditary predisposition.
What symptoms prove the presence of protrusion?
Compression (or pinching) of nerve endings is the main problem provoked by protrusion of the cervical spine. Symptoms of such a violation are also:
- severe pain that is localized not only in the neck, but also in the occipital and temporal parts of the head;
- crunch and pain when trying to turn the neck;
- numbness of the fingers, "goosebumps" on the arm;
- darkening of the eyes, loss of balance due to dizziness;
- pain in the upper limbs and shoulder area;
- muscle weakness in the arms.
But business is not limited only to the listed above signs. Due to the illness, the condition is gradually deteriorating. Other signs of ill health are added: increased blood pressure, tinnitus, frequent headaches, irritability.
Unfortunately, in the first stage of the disease, the symptoms may be absent. Therefore, the patient is seeking treatment when the pathological process has already gone far.
The main principles of protrusion treatment: from drugs to surgery
Among the many patients with protrusion, the myth goes that this disease has no dangerous consequences, so if there is no severe pain, then it is not necessary to treat it. This is fundamentally wrong. An untreated disease becomes more severe, and the case can result in a disc hernia, disability, or stroke.
Treatment of protrusion of the cervical spine disks is carried out with the use of such drugs and medical agents:
- analgesics - injections of Dexamethasone, Lidocaine, Phenylbutazole, Cyanobalamin. They are prescribed for exacerbation of the disease in order to stop the pain syndrome. A blockade may be assigned;
- medications, relaxing muscles and relieving pain, - Hypothiazide, Furosemide;
- removal of the load from the affected cervical disc (special collars and Hallo-west device are used);
- NSAIDs - Indomethacin, Voltaren, Piroxicam, Ibuprofen. They are necessary to eliminate inflammation and swelling;
- vitamins (B-complex);
- physiotherapy - ultrasound therapy, electrophoresis with novocaine, exposure to an alternating magnetic field;
- manual therapy;
If conservative treatment for 3 months has not yielded positive changes, the issue of surgical intervention - removal of the disc and part of the adjacent vertebrae is considered.
A new and very effective method - laser disk recovery, in which the disk core is evaporated, and the disk returns to its "legitimate" place.-
What will help people's ways?
Fundamental relief (especially if the disease is running and is in the acute stage) is useless to wait from the popular methods. If the symptoms are mild and deliver only some discomfort, then you can use this home treatment:
- rub the sore spot with camphor, top with a towel soaked in warm milk. Keep the compress for 2 hours. Then make a shallow massage with camphor oil;
- overnight apply a bandage with a mixture of sugar and onions. Heal for 7 days;
- homemade rubbing. Combine these ingredients: 100 ml of alcohol, 1.5 g of novocaine, 2.5 g of menthol. 1.5 g of anesthesin. The composition is kept in a glass container. Lubricate the sore area at bedtime for 5 days;
- tincture for compresses. For it should take 500 ml of vodka and 300 g of garlic. To use the composition to withstand 10 days;
- a compress of medicinal herbs: Alteyka root, wormwood, thyme (take 2 tbsp of each herb), turns (4 tbsp.) To collect 1.5 L of water from the grass. Leave for an hour. Boil over low heat for 10 minutes;
- kalanchoe leaf compress. They are cut lengthwise and applied to the affected area. Then fixed with a plaster and tied with a woolen scarf.
On the exercise become: what exercises can you do?
Special gymnastics with protrusion of the cervical spine, including 7 basic exercises, gives excellent results. It helps relieve pain and allows you to lay a good foundation for the subsequent restoration of the spine.
Of course, it’s right for the gymnastics complex to be picked up by the attending physician, but the list of the most frequently prescribed exercises looks like this:
- Lie on your back, arms along the body. Bend your knees. Lift and lower the pelvis. Repeat exercise 2-5 p .;
- Become on all fours. Raise the opposite lower and upper limbs, linger in this position for several minutes. Do 5-7 repetitions;
- Lie down on the belly. Cams put under the chin. Raise the head, chest and arms (together);
- Starting position as in exercise 1. Raise the head and shoulders, then stretch your hands to the legs (exhale). Do exercise 3-4 p .;
- Lying on your back with your knees bent, strain your abdominal muscles (from 10 to 15 r.);
- In the same initial position, stretch alternately with each hand to the opposite knee. Stay in this position for 15 seconds. (5-10 r.)
- From the “supine with bent legs” position, lift the upper half of the body and hold it up to 10.
After the workout is complete, you should lie down for a while so that all your muscles relax.
In addition to gymnastics during protrusion, it is very useful to do swimming, yoga (under the guidance of an experienced instructor).
What else will help improve the condition?
The important point is nutrition. To stop the development of the disease, vitamins and nutrients should be supplied to the body. To do this, the menu should include fruits, nuts, grapes, vegetables, fish and seafood, dairy products.
It is very useful to walk. Be sure to monitor your posture, do not overcool and do not lift weights. To slow down the destruction of the vertebrae, it is necessary to normalize the weight, sleep on a mattress of medium hardness.
Protrusion is an insidious disease. Some types of this disease at the initial stage can seriously threaten health and cause unbearable pain. Only with the right treatment can you achieve sustained remission. But this is exactly the case when it is easier to warn than to cure, so take care of your spine.