Doctors have been studying urine samples for centuries to determine the health status of their patients. Depending on its concentration, urine can take on different shades, but pale yellow is considered normal. Any noticeable change in color, density, or odor of urine may indicate health problems. So, pink urine in women: causes.
Causes of urine staining in women in pink
Urine performs in the body the role of a kind of "scavenger". It removes soluble harmful substances that are initially contained in the blood and filtered by the kidneys. It is by the composition of urine that one can judge the presence of certain substances in the blood, whether there is an excess of protein, sugar, bacteria or other microorganisms.
The presence of blood in the urine in medicine is called hematuria. The blood concentration may be different and visually give the urine a pink color, red or brown with gross hematuria. It would be logical to assume that the presence of blood in the urine is not a normal phenomenon and, as a rule, it indicates pathological changes in the body. In such cases, it is important to consult a doctor promptly to eliminate the risk of serious illness or complications. The analysis confirms or refutes the content of red blood cells in the urine and helps to determine the causes that led to its staining in pink.
Hematuria is of three types:
- primary - at the beginning of urination, she speaks in favor of the pathology of the urethra or prostate;
- the final - at the end of urination, it can mean the presence of pathology in the bladder;
- total hematuria, which has no localizing value.
Hematuria usually occurs with kidney disease or problems with the urinary tract. The most common pathologies are kidney stones or urinary infections. In this case, urination is most often accompanied by pain or a burning sensation. Nevertheless, there are other, more rare and serious causes of blood in the urine, such as inflammation of the kidneys or cancer.
It is very important to consult a gynecologist in case of hematuria for women or a urologist for men whenever there is a pink color of urine for more than 48 hours. Especially, if this is accompanied by a temperature rise above 38 ° C, severe pain when going to the toilet and vomiting, as well as having difficulty urinating or incontinence.
The main causes of blood in the urine are:
- Urinary tract infections. They are often found in women and are accompanied by frequent urination with pain and a feeling of heaviness in the lower abdomen.
- Stones in the kidneys. Their main symptoms are a burning sensation during urination, pain in the lower back and nausea.
- Inflammation in the kidneys or bladder is accompanied by symptoms similar to urinary tract infection, and also causes swelling of the legs and an increase in blood pressure.
- Endometriosis. Quite a rare problem in women, which leads to constant abdominal pain, excessive fatigue and causes difficulties with the process of conception.
- Prostate, bladder or kidney cancer. These are the most frequent pathologies when there is blood in the urine. They may be accompanied by urinary incontinence, painful urination, weight loss.
Impact of external factors
However, pink urine may not necessarily indicate the occurrence of certain pathologies. Change its color occurs under the influence of external factors. Such a phenomenon is called false hematuria.
The main causes of non-pathological nature, in which the urine is painted in pink, are:
- Excessive exercise. This should not scare if the event lasts less than 24 hours.
- In women during menstruation. In this case, there is no reason for alarm.
- Excessive consumption of red foods, such as beets, berries, or rhubarb. Do not panic - it is quite normal and absolutely safe, because beet contains a lot of betalain, which is a powerful red pigment. Pink urine after beets will acquire a natural color after four to five urinations.
- Acceptance of individual medications. For example, the anticoagulant Warfarin, as well as Aspirin, can cause the appearance of blood in the urine, especially in elderly patients.
What does such a symptom mean during pregnancy?
Hematuria during pregnancy is most often caused by a urinary tract infection. However, blood can also flow from the vagina and mix with urine, which indicates more serious problems, such as placental abruption. In this case, it is necessary to take emergency measures to avoid injury to the fetus.
Thus, whenever pink urine occurs during pregnancy, it is recommended that the midwife be informed immediately so that he can do the necessary diagnostic tests and start the appropriate treatment.
What measures to take?
Solving the problem of hematuria depends on the cause of it, so it is important to quickly determine the source of the bleeding. When we are dealing with a urinary tract infection, such as cystitis, antibiotics are needed. In the case of pyelonephritis, hospitalization and treatment with sufficiently powerful antibiotics is indicated. For urolithiasis due to the severe pain that it causes, emergency medical care is needed. Depending on the severity of the pathology, conservative or surgical treatment is prescribed.
In endometriosis, a woman needs to seek the help of a gynecologist, it is advisable to do a transvaginal ultrasound and to begin appropriate treatment, which does not exclude surgery. And, finally, if hematuria occurs due to a tumor pathology, oncological support of the patient will be necessary.
Anyway, a change in urine color is a reason for seeking qualified medical assistance and for testing in order to ascertain the cause of such a condition, to make a diagnosis, or to make an additional examination.