A group of antidepressants appeared not so long ago - in the middle of the 20th century, when Inproniazide and Imipramine were discovered, which became the ancestors of the majority of today's drugs of similar effect. In neurology, they are prescribed not immediately, because they have a high degree of effect on the body, and, unlike light sedatives, they can have many undesirable side effects. Their choice should be made by a doctor, but in some cases they still have to do without his help. How to find antidepressants that are available in pharmacies without a prescription?
When are antidepressants needed?
Depression, no matter how it is presented to the modern man, is a rather serious disease, not connected with ordinary mood swings, fatigue, melancholy. A person who is in this state does not just lose the desire to smile, but experiences problems with the perception of the surrounding world, sometimes not able to live in a familiar rhythm, work, study, interact with society. In such a situation, only a qualified psychotherapist can help. The sooner the meeting with the doctor happens, the higher the likelihood that you will be able to do without heavy drugs.
- However, today antidepressants are used not only in psychiatry, but also for the treatment of other neurotic problems, autonomic disorders, relief of pain syndromes. But for each of these goals, a drug is selected from a certain category, since the whole group of antidepressants is very extensive.
However, psychiatry still maintains a rather cautious attitude, and the person would rather prefer either letting the problem take its course, or prescribe a treatment for itself, rather than talk with the doctor, because it will tacitly label him as "mentally ill." If for any reason there is a choice between the first two options, you should immediately understand in what situation it is time to think about purchasing the appropriate medication.
- Frequent headaches lasting more than 30 minutes. and even stretching for several days, or repeating very often. At the same time, the character is not pulsating, but squeezing, over the entire surface of the head or mirrored on both sides. The relationship between fatigue, exercise and condition is not. Doctors call the current 15 days a month or 180 for a year marked by a headache.
- Anxiety and panic attacks, which have no visible prerequisites: “cover” can at any time of the day or night, even when absolutely healthy, at the time of emotional recovery. They may be accompanied by tachycardia, dry throat, numbness of the limbs, sweating, nausea.
- Insomnia, seen not sporadically, but turned into permanent. Often, obsessive thoughts are superimposed on it, in which a person is physically tired, emotionally exhausted, but the body is not able to relax, and the nervous system works at its limits.
All these factors do not pass by themselves, no matter how much time you give yourself. They can ignore the day, week, if it is a one-time situation, but when everything repeats with alarming frequency, it is time to take action. When trying to solve a problem on their own, doctors advise starting with sedatives that have a mild effect: these are the well-known Persen, Novopassit, Tenoten, tinctures of valerian, motherwort, etc. But they give results only at the initial stage of the disease, although sometimes they are referred to as antidepressants of plant origin, and in the event of the occurrence of all the symptoms listed above, it is time to think about more effective drugs.
But before proceeding to a specific name, you should pay attention to the fact that the above symptoms can be generated by violations of other systems. For example, malfunctions in the thyroid gland and stenocardia are often characterized by panic attacks and anxiety, and instability of the vertebrae, due to which blood flow is clamped, leads to headaches, loss of consciousness, numbness of the extremities. And here there is no point in antidepressants: on the contrary, their use may even aggravate the condition.
No Prescription Mild Antidepressants: Names and general characteristics
The main category of drugs of this type are SSRIs: "young" substances that are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. In comparison with old drugs, they are much easier to carry, less likely to provoke anticholinergic reactions, with an overdose almost no effect on the heart. Among such substances, fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram and escitalopram, sertraline, which may have several different trade names, are the most well-known.
- Prozac. The active active ingredient is fluoxetine; An antidepressant that works by replicating serotonin. There are no secondary pharmacological properties, they have no effect on other receptors. The maximum concentration of fluoxetine in the blood plasma is observed after 8 hours, but to obtain a therapeutic effect, a dose of 4-5 weeks or more is necessary. The half-life is carried out for 4-6 days. Dosage - 20 mg per day, can be increased to 80 mg.
Due to the fact that the drug has a mild effect, it is prescribed not only for the treatment of depressive states and obsessive-compulsive disorders (OCD), but also for nervous boulemia, as well as mood swings caused by the menstrual cycle. However, experts clarify that self-administration of fluoxetine is prohibited in persons with suicidal behavior and thinking. Also, it is not allowed to combine with MAO inhibitors (spread for 14 days), thioridazine (35 days), pimozide. During the course of pregnancy, there is no negative effect, but the expectant mother should be under the supervision of a physician.
- Thorin. It works on the basis of sertraline, in addition to the main action - serotonin replication, has a minimal effect on noradrenoline and dopamine, as a result of which experts refer to it as a fairly strong drug. Long-term therapy reduces the proportion of adrenergic receptors. The maximum concentration is observed 8 hours after ingestion, the presence of food in the stomach increases this period and reduces the activity of absorption. The daily dosage is 50 mg, it rises to 200 mg.
The drug is prescribed not only for therapeutic, but also as a preventive measure. It is indicated for depression of any etiology, OCD, post-traumatic stress condition, and for panic attacks. Unlike other antidepressants of this group, sertraline can be used in the treatment of children older than 6 years (under the supervision of a physician). Its combination with MAO inhibitors, tryptophan is not allowed.
- Tsipralex. A representative of the group of escitaloprams - the most selective substances, according to their effectiveness and degree of harmlessness, is on the same level as sertraline. The maximum concentration of the active substance is observed after 4 hours, the food intake does not affect this moment. The half-life during long-term therapy is after 30 hours. The daily dosage is 10-20 mg. The course can last up to 6 months.
It is prescribed for depressive states, up to and including severe ones, but is not resolved with suicidal behavior. It can be used in patients with agoraphobia, social phobia, OCD, anxiety and panic attacks. Not used with MAO inhibitors, can be combined with tetracyclic or atypical antidepressants. There may be adverse reactions that are eliminated in the period of 7-14 days of admission.
- Paxil. The active substance is paroxetine, the most powerful in its category. Can be combined with short-acting hypnotics, recommended for the treatment of depressive disorders, panic attacks, post-traumatic conditions, nightmares, phobias, obsessive thoughts. Dependence does not cause, but withdrawal syndrome is possible. The maximum concentration is observed after 5 hours, the half-life is from 3 to 65 hours. The initial dosage is 20 mg.
It should be noted that most of the SSRI drugs can provoke adverse reactions from the digestive tract - nausea, dyspeptic disorders, diarrhea, epigastric pain, vomiting. Like any antidepressant, they can cause exacerbation of nerve disorders, and paroxetine is prohibited in late pregnancy because of its teratogenic nature.
Strong antidepressants: review and expert advice
As for this block, these are mostly drugs, the result of which can be fixed no earlier than 2-3 weeks, after which the question of extending therapy or replacing its components is decided. According to the mark in the instructions, they should be sold only by prescription, as well as any antidepressants (not to be confused with sedatives of plant origin!), Which have a degree of danger from 2 to 4. But, as consumers' comments show, in reality they turn out to be over-the-counter. The bulk of these drugs - tricyclic series, similar to the principle of working with SSRIs: they are aimed at those who are prohibited inhibitors.
- Azafen. Works on the same substance, although it is often referred to as "pipofezin." One of the first Russian antidepressants, additionally providing a sedative effect. It has a non-selective effect on serotonin and norepinephrine. The maximum concentration of the active substance is observed after 4 hours. The daily dosage is 25-50 mg, the maximum increase is up to 400 mg. The drug is prescribed for depressions of any severity, in complex cases it is combined with other tricyclic antidepressants and antipsychotics. It can also be used in the treatment of asthenoneurotic and anxiety states, as well as alcohol depression.
- Amitriptyline. In addition to relieving the manifestations of depression, it also has a sedative effect; therefore, it is most effective in the presence of anxiety and panic conditions, when psychostimulant drugs are prohibited. It is one of the oldest and most reliable tools, working on the basis of the same substance of the tricyclic series. It has anticholinergic and antihistamine activity. It is indicated for insomnia, phobias, internal stress, neurogenic pain syndromes. Dosage - 50 mg, up to 300 mg per day.
- Maprotiline. Almost the only strong antidepressant, over-the-counter, additionally providing an anxiolytic effect on the body. The maximum concentration is fixed after 8 hours, but depends on the dose. Per day is prescribed from 25 to 75 mg. Used to treat depression of any etiology (including menopausal), depressed state, anxiety, irritability, apathy, panic attacks.
In conclusion, it is worth emphasizing once again that the introduction of antidepressants released without prescription to the therapy is a risky step, and it is better to consult with your doctor, since this is a direct effect on the nervous and cardiovascular systems. In addition, in a critical situation, such drugs rarely work, being focused on long-term treatment, which is better to coordinate with a specialist.