Many patients who have been targeted by stomach ulcers, thrush, trichomoniasis, and other diseases caused by microbes are familiar with drugs such as metronidazole. What does this drug help? What is the secret of his popularity among physicians and under what evidence he is prescribed most often?
Metronidazole has antimicrobial activity. Many people confuse it with antibiotics, but this medicine is not. An antibiotic is a naturally occurring substance derived from a specific group of fungi, and metronidazole was obtained by chemical experiments by French pharmacists in the middle of the 20th century.
First, the drug was actively used in the treatment of trichomonads, and later it was actively used for the treatment of bacterial infections. Metronidazole is prescribed for diseases caused by microbes and bacteria:
- anaerobic bacteria;
- gram-positive microbes;
The drug does not inhibit aerobic bacteria, which include streptococci and staphylococci.
The action of metronidazole is based on blocking the formation of nucleic acids - the genetic carrier, which leads to the death of microbes. The drug is available in these forms:
- pills (taken after meals; pills are washed down with milk);
- vaginal ointments, gels;
- skin cream;
- candles for the vagina.
Metronidazole is effective in many diseases. Indications for its use:
- sepsis, peritonitis;
- abscess of the peritoneum, lungs, brain, liver;
- stomach ulcer;
- gynecological diseases;
- skin diseases caused by microbes and bacteria;
- ulcerative stomatitis;
- getting rid of alcoholism.
The main range of applications - gynecology, skin diseases, gastrointestinal diseases.
Metronidazole in gynecology
In gynecological practice, metronidazole is used in various forms of release. Its main purpose is therapy:
- bacterial vaginosis;
- inflammation in the fallopian tubes.
The most widely known form of prescribing metronidazole in gynecological practice:
- pills - three times a day, 0.5 g;
- intravenous - three times a day, 0.5 g;
- intervaginal candles - once a day for 0.5 g (the course of therapy is up to 10 days).
During pregnancy and lactation, metronidazole is strictly prohibited.
Metronidazole for gastrointestinal diseases
In relation to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract metronidazole is actively used:
- with gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, intestine;
- before bowel surgery as a preventive measure;
- when removing an inflamed appendix.
This drug affects the causative agents of dysbacteriosis, pathogenic microorganisms in the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract, thanks to which acid-related diseases are perfectly treated with metronidazole.
In case of gastric ulcer, the drug is prescribed in the form of tablets or intravenously. Metronidazole penetrates well into the foci of the ulcer and neutralizes microbes. Typically, the drug is prescribed in combination with amoxicillin.
Metronidazole for acne
The drug is actively used in dermatology for the treatment of skin diseases caused by microbes and bacteria. Metronidazole localizes the inflammatory process and destroys harmful microorganisms.
The drug is used in the form of tablets and in the form of a gel for external use for the following groups of lesions:
- associated with violations of the gastrointestinal tract;
- hormonal disorders in the body;
- with subcutaneous mites;
- for the treatment of rosacea.
The gel is applied spot on the acne area, after cleansing the skin well. The course of local therapy is no more than a month.
Metronidazole is not recommended for use with:
- lesions of the central nervous system;
- in the first trimester of pregnancy (in the second and third trimesters, it is used with extreme caution only if prescribed by a doctor);
- liver disease;
- drug sensitivity.
Taking metronidazole is not compatible with alcohol.
Despite the value of the drug for the treatment of many diseases, therapy with its use should be under the close supervision of a physician, since metronidazole has many side effects:
- Gastrointestinal tract: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, bowel spasms, constipation, loss of appetite, dryness and taste of iron in the mouth;
- nervous system: impaired sensitivity, insomnia, dizziness, anxiety, migraines, convulsions, hallucinations, confusion;
- allergic manifestations: itching, rash, anaphylactic shock;
- nasal congestion;
- candidiasis, stomatitis.
Due to the frequent manifestations of side effects from metronidazole, its analogues are prescribed. The most famous of them is Trichopol, which has high efficacy and is prescribed in similar dosages.
Metronidazole can also be replaced with similar structure drugs:
- metrid and others
Patients speak positively of a relatively new drug - the macroworld, which has a similar effect, but, unlike Metronidazole, is well tolerated. However, doctors rarely prescribe it because of the high cost.
It cannot be said that the feedback on metronidazole is exclusively positive or negative. Among the positive aspects of patients note:
- effective therapy;
- low cost;
- wide spectrum of action.
Tablets metronidazole perfectly helped even with angina. However, against the background of a quick cure there are many side effects. Most patients complain about:
- the appearance of drowsiness, lethargy, confusion;
- rapid pulse, heartbeat;
- metallic taste in the mouth;
- nausea, vomiting.
After the appearance of such states, the medication was usually stopped on the initiative of the doctor.
Metronidazole is an effective drug. But you should know exactly what it helps, and take only as directed by the doctor. Self-treatment threatens with the emergence of many side effects and the development of new diseases on their background. Only strict adherence to the instructions will help to cure the disease.