"Applications for medicinal leeches are being accepted: they will cure bronchitis, tonsillitis and the liver, spleen and polyps, these goats will help, wonderful leeches." The famous Duremar was singing such an unassuming song in the “Tale of the Golden Key”. Then his character was treated with irony. But today for the treatment of many diseases leeches are used, the benefits and harms of which should be known to everyone.
Treatment with leeches: the benefits and harm
Conducting medical procedures with the use of blood-sicking vermin-shaped parasites in medical practice is called hirudotherapy. For the first time to this method of healing from ailments resorted in the ancient period. French kings in the Middle Ages and the ancient Egyptians were treated with leeches.
Every doctor knows that any treatment should bring only a positive result, but in no way harm the patient. That is why modern doctors approach the use of leeches with extreme caution. Before you assign a course of hirudotherapy to a person, you should identify all indications and contraindications, as well as the likelihood of side effects. But more about that later, but now I would like to talk about the benefits of hirudotherapy.
Leech therapy has a beneficial effect on the human body, in particular:
- leeches are parasites that suck blood, therefore, with the help of such manipulations, it is possible to reduce the load on the vascular walls and the circulatory system as a whole;
- leech bites can be compared with acupuncture procedures because they stick to the body at certain points that are biologically active;
- the bite of these parasites stimulates blood circulation and also normalizes the work of a number of internal organs and connective tissues;
- The saliva of these vermiform parasites has healing properties that are beneficial to the bloodstream.
Treatment specialists practicing hirudotherapy, noted that the leech saliva contains active substances, which are conventionally divided into three groups. Each group has a specific effect on the human body. Hirudotherapy has a number of positive properties, in particular:
- wound healing;
Recently, leeches have become widely used in cosmetology. The active components of their saliva have a beneficial effect on the skin and contribute to their speedy regeneration. Hirudotherapy is recommended to improve the elasticity and elasticity of the skin.
Leech therapy is prescribed for a number of diseases, in particular:
- in the pathologies of the cardiovascular system - atherosclerosis, ischemic diseases, heart attacks, heart defects;
- in violation of blood coagulability, as well as in the presence of blood clots;
- for the treatment of pathologies of the digestive tract, in particular, gastritis, pancreatitis, cholecystitis;
- in cirrhosis of the liver: with the help of blood-sicking parasites, it is possible to restore liver cells and get rid of destructive toxic substances;
- with the development of pathologies of the central nervous system - osteoarthrosis, neurosis;
- with frequent bouts of headache, migraine;
- with the development of pathologies of the urinary system, for example, cystitis, prostatitis, pyelonephritis, etc .;
- in order to cure respiratory ailments such as pneumonia, pleurisy of various forms, bronchitis;
- in case of diseases of the female reproductive system;
- with the development of pathologies of the skin, including the infectious type;
- leeches are also used to treat acne, psoriasis, eczema of various forms;
- with the appearance of hemorrhoids;
- with varicose veins: using hirudotherapy significantly reduces the load on the vascular walls.
Recently, leeches have been used to treat diabetes, as well as for obesity, provoked by various causes. In addition, hirudotherapy helps get rid of the ailments of the upper respiratory tract: pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, etc.
Who is contraindicated for hirudotherapy?
Treatment of ailments using such an unconventional method is not allowed to all people. Hirudotherapy has a number of contraindications that must be taken into account. So, it is not recommended to use blood-sucking parasites in such cases:
- in violation of blood coagulability;
- with the development of anemia in severe form;
- at a low concentration of red blood cells;
- chronic hypotension;
- during gestation;
- with menstrual bleeding;
- with the development of pathologies of oncological nature.
Before starting such manipulations, the attending specialist must determine the susceptibility of the organism to the salivary glands of leeches. If you are hypersensitive or hypersensitive hirudotherapy should be abandoned.
The use of leeches in gynecology
As already mentioned, treatment with leeches is widespread in gynecology. To complete the course of such manipulations is allowed for preventive purposes. With leeches, blood circulation in the pelvic organs can be improved. In addition, leeches are advised to be treated by representatives of the beautiful half of humanity who have an unstable cycle of menstruation, as well as during menopause.
Hirudotherapy can cure various gynecological ailments, in particular:
- myoma neoplasms;
- violation of the menstruation cycle;
- fibromous tumors;
- erosion of the cervical uterus;
- inflammatory processes in the small pelvic organs;
Improvements are already observed through several procedures. With the development of pathologies of the mammary glands leeches are placed directly on the chest. With intravaginal hirudotherapy, blood-sucking parasites are located on the uterine neck. Also, leeches can be installed in the lower segment of the abdomen, on the pubic surface or in the sacral region. Separate points are characteristic for each zone; every treating hirudotherapy specialist must know them, since improper positioning of leeches may harm the female body.
Endometriosis is a very cunning disease, with its development infertility can occur. Hirudotherapy perfectly copes with this pathology. As a result of treatment with leeches, not only the state of the endometrium, but also the concentration of hormones normalizes. That is why hirudotherapy has become one of the most effective ways to treat infertility of various forms.
Reviews of hirudotherapy effectiveness
Virtual publications and forums are full of various reviews about the benefits and dangers of treatment with leeches. Let's start with negative results. Some people who have undergone hirudotherapy complained of an allergic reaction. The leech did not inflict more significant damage on anyone.
Many women leave feedback that after a course of hirudotherapy, they had a long-awaited pregnancy. It was these ordinary worm-like parasites that helped get rid of adhesive formations, endometriosis and a number of other pathologies that provoked infertility.
Treatment with leeches is often used in cosmetology. Many girls choose this procedure to rejuvenate the skin and improve their appearance. Leech helps men too if problems arise with the reproductive system. The network can find a lot of reviews about the benefits of blood-sucking parasites in the treatment of varicose veins.
Who invented such a method of treatment remains a mystery to this day. Despite the fact that leeches belong to the class of parasites, they are of great benefit to the human body. The main thing is to contact an experienced, qualified hirudotherapy specialist, and the result will not be long in coming. Be healthy!