No one is immune from an emergency situation - the need to provide first aid to the injured person. Indirect cardiac massage, the technique of which is not so difficult, must be mastered by everyone. After all, this knowledge and skills may be the only way to save the greatest value in the world - life.
The most important massage
If a person has stopped working the most important organ for life, the very first and main method of salvation is heart massage. This procedure is extremely important and at the same time does not require any special medical education or unique skills. Conducting an indirect heart massage to the power of each person - and this must be remembered in order not to get lost and not to miss valuable minutes. The effectiveness of the result depends on the correctness and confidence of actions.
In contrast to direct massage (in the case of which it acts directly on the organ), indirect means to conduct massage movements through the chest. When you press the chest, the heart squeezes between the spine and the sternum. Due to rhythmic pressure, contractions of the heart muscle are resumed, blood circulation is restored.
Indirect Heart Massage: Rules
Life is a continuous movement, and the heart is the ideal engine. Knowing how to do an indirect heart massage is essential. The task in crisis situations is to contribute in time to the renewal of the “driving force”, and a chain reaction will take place in the body to start the work of organs and systems.
To conduct an effective indirect heart massage, the algorithm developed is as follows.
- Lay the affected person right on his back. A prerequisite is a hard surface.
- The rescuer must be on the side. The permissible position helps - on the knees or in full growth.
- One of the palms is placed in the lower part of the sternum of the victim in such a way that the fingers become perpendicular to it.
- The second hand is placed on top. It is important not to touch the body with raised fingers.
- The location of the "masseur's" straightened arms should be at right angles to the victim's chest.
- It is necessary to do massage with rhythmic pressing, with a rather high speed (close to the heart rhythm). The rescuer should be affected by the weight of the whole body. Care must be taken to keep your arms straight.
- For effective massage, it is necessary to provide a one-third deflection of the sternum with pressure (approximately 5 cm in an adult).
Important Additions and Cautions
It is often necessary to combine an indirect heart massage and artificial respiration. This complex of procedures is called cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The purpose of artificial respiration is to ventilate the lungs, to replace the victim's own breathing. There are quite a few cases in which these measures save and support the vital activity of the patient before the arrival of the medical staff (stroke, head injury, drowning, objects getting into the respiratory tract, etc.).
To accompany an indirect heart massage with artificial respiration it is necessary:
- Hold the lower jaw of the victim with one palm and cover the nose with the other or take the upper part of the head.
- Position the patient face up.
- The rescuer must take the maximum possible amount of air into his lungs and blow it into the mouth (nose) of the patient (preferably through a cloth flap, gauze).
- Every 2-3 injections alternate with 15-20 massage movements.
- Repeat the described actions.
Effective indirect heart massage is possible if the technique does not allow mistakes. Here are the most common flaws in its conduct:
- not sufficiently compressed chest (most often this happens if the surface on which the massage is carried out, not solid);
- the intervals between clicks exceed 5-10 seconds;
- in case of injuries of the chest, rehabilitation is incomplete (it should be fully implemented).
Indirect heart massage: determine the result of effort
About the correctness and effectiveness of indirect massage inform of such changes:
- the injured carotid arteries begin to pulse in a rhythm of pressure;
- constriction of the pupils occurs;
- independent respiratory movements are restored.
After the appearance of such signs, rehabilitation should be continued for another 5-10 minutes, because even a short cessation of rescue measures can lead to fatal consequences. The effect of the massage and artificial respiration should occur within 20-40 minutes. If during this time the heart could not be started, rehabilitation is stopped.
Mastering the technique of indirect heart massage is not particularly difficult. It is only important to know and follow thoroughly developed rules. It will not be too much for anyone to practice first aid, because the memory of the body can help save someone’s life if necessary. Mindfulness and confidence in precise actions are the key to a happy ending in an emergency.