Unlike a variety of modern medications, ichthyol ointment has been used for a long time, and to this day does not lose its relevance. This drug is widely used to treat a large number of skin diseases.
The main substance contained in ichthyol ointment is ichthyol (ichthammol), the so-called "fish oil", which has nothing to do with fish. The effect of this tool is directly dependent on the composition of ichthyol - shale resin, organic sulfur. However, there are small differences between the original substance and ichthyol ointment, in its composition - medical petrolatum, T-2 emulsifier and the active substance ichthyol (20 g).
The use of this tool is prescribed during the treatment of various skin diseases, as well as in home cosmetology (most often for the face). Ichthyol contains organic sulfur, which has a bactericidal effect against staphylococcus and streptococcus (gram-positive bacteria). At the same time, it prevents the further spread of the yeast-like fungus in the patient’s body, since it slows down its development at the cellular level. The main disadvantage of ichthyol ointment is that it is not able to exert a therapeutic effect on gram-negative bacteria.
The product can have both bactericidal and anti-inflammatory effects. It contributes to a significant reduction in the number of inflammatory mediators, which contributes to the acceleration of their metabolism. At the same time, this ointment slows down the movement of leukocytes directly to the affected area. That is why with this tool it is possible to quickly and fairly easily remove redness from the skin.
Ichthyol ointment also helps to eliminate the process of keratinization of the skin and removes even the most severe itching. Ichthyol supplies proteins to human keratin, making the skin more elastic, eliminating desquamation, the process of gradual discharge of dead skin begins. It becomes soft and thin. Ichthyol has another important function - helps protect the skin from the negative effects of ultraviolet rays, reduces the sensitivity of the skin.
Due to these properties of ichthyol ointment, it is prescribed for use in streptoderma, prostatitis, arthritis, staphyloderma, smallpox, lupus erythematosus, eczema, erysipelas, and burns. The drug has a strong anti-inflammatory and bactericidal effect, so at home it is often used to eliminate acne, especially if their development was provoked by bacteria, and not by disruption of the gastrointestinal tract or the presence of certain hormonal problems.
Ichthyol ointment in the fight against acne
- The use of ichthyol ointment helps expel the suppuration of the skin, making acne disappear much faster. Therefore, if you need to quickly eliminate inflammation, you must apply Ichthyolum, which can also neutralize subcutaneous acne. They can develop even with minor disruptions that have occurred in the body.
- To achieve a more effective antibacterial action, it is necessary to use zinc-ichthyol ointment, since zinc is widely used in cosmetology to combat acne. However, at the same time, on his own, he is not able to neutralize bacteria that have gathered on the surface of the skin, as well as to draw out pus.
- Often ichthyol ointment is used against the act, as it can significantly accelerate the metabolic processes of the skin. It is advisable to use this tool before bedtime, as it has a not very pleasant specific smell, which is quite difficult to remove.
- With the help of a cotton swab, the ointment is applied on the previously cleaned skin surface, on which acne has appeared. Then a small piece of polyethylene is applied to this area and attached with a plaster. An hour later, the ointment is washed off with warm water. This treatment procedure is repeated every other day, until all acne is completely eliminated.
- If you treat inflammations on the face, you need to remember that applying ichthyol ointment to the entire skin is strictly prohibited. The tool is applied dotted, only on problem areas and for a short time.
- With particular care, ichthyol ointment should be used for owners of very light skin, as a result, pigmentation in the form of small spots and lines may appear on its surface. After applying the product, the use of any masks is strictly forbidden for several days, otherwise the skin will be very burning.
- It is not recommended to apply ichthyol ointment too often to eliminate acne on oily skin, as it is based on petrolatum and there is a risk only to aggravate your condition.
We treat boils properly
Ichthyol ointment is one of the best remedies for the treatment of boils. It helps to remove the infection from the skin, is among the effective disinfectants and antiseptic drugs.
If ichthyol ointment is used to treat boils, it should be applied directly to problem areas (a small amount). On top of the damage covered with a clean paper towel (thin), the compress is left for 8 hours. After the specified time, washed off with clean warm water.
Literally after the first application, a noticeable improvement occurs. However, the most important thing is not to overdo it with such treatment, otherwise there may be negative consequences.
It is strictly forbidden to use Ichthyol ointment in the presence of individual intolerance to certain components that are included in its composition. This remedy is prohibited for the treatment of children under the age of 12 years. You should not start the course before the doctor allows, and also determine the presence or absence of an allergic reaction to the individual components of the drug.
Listen to user opinions
Ichthyol ointment is not the best reviews, which is directly related to its specific smell, which can remain on the skin for a long time. However, having tried it for treatment at least once, you cannot refuse it. This is one of the most effective and affordable tools that helps to cope with a variety of skin infections. This tool is sold freely available at the pharmacy.
For acne treatment, it is enough to apply ointment to problem areas with a cotton swab or a match 2 times a day - in the morning and evening.
After removal of the product, according to reviews, in order to achieve the best therapeutic result, it is necessary to treat the skin with a cotton pad dipped in a lotion containing salicylic acid. Due to this additional cleaning of the skin and disinfection of its surface is carried out. The duration of the full course of treatment depends on the number and degree of acne neglect. Ichthyol ointment should continue to be used until all inflammations have been completely eliminated.
In the variety of modern tools for the treatment of dermatological problems, you can even get confused. New products appear literally monthly. Perhaps they are effective, but often expensive. Sometimes it is easier to use proven drugs, for example, Ichthyol ointment. It is available and effective for the treatment of acne, boils and other skin diseases.