Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell or white blood cell. Their purpose is to protect the body from diseases and fight infections. Let us examine what causes elevated lymphocytes in the blood of women, the causes and effects of changes in the leukocyte formula.
Elevated lymphocytes in the blood - what does this mean?
Lymphocytes are an important part of cellular and humoral immunity. This means that they produce antibodies and directly interact with pathogen cells. According to the characteristics of the lymphocytes are divided into the following groups:
- granular large;
Based on the functional load, lymphocytes are classified into three types:
- B cells that detect antigens and produce specific protein molecules, the action of which is aimed at inhibiting foreign structures.
- T-cells, immunoregulatory, stimulating and inhibiting the production of antibodies.
- NK cells that control and destroy, produced by the body, have deviations from normal values.
Identification of an increased number of lymphocytes in the blood indicates such problems and diseases of the body as:
- bacterial and viral infections, as well as protozoa invasions;
- hematologic diseases;
- endocrine system diseases;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- immunological disorders.
In addition, alcohol, smoking, stress, removal of the spleen, the presence in the medical history of Down's disease are factors that increase the level of lymphocytes in the blood.
Lymphocytes in the blood of women: the norm and pathology
Characteristics and the rate of lymphocyte content in the blood in adult healthy women can be represented as follows:
- amount - 19-37%;
- amount - 1,200 - 3,000 x 109 / l;
- cell size - 8-10 microns;
- shape - rounded;
- structure is uneven;
- dark purple color;
- the cytoplasm in the form of a narrow rim, rarely a wide zone, has a blue color;
- grit - rare, character and color - single purple granules.
The number of lymphocytes is checked in a clinical blood test. If deviations from the norm are found in conjunction with other indicators, additional studies are carried out with the aim of making the correct diagnosis and prescribing proper therapy. After elimination of the underlying disease in most cases, the normal level of lymphocytes in the blood is restored.
Why does the level of lymphocytes increase?
There are many possible reasons why lymphocytes are elevated in a woman’s blood. The level of lymphocytes, which is more than 40%, is considered too high and is called lymphocytosis. In some cases, influenza and chickenpox can lead to an overstatement of lymphocytes.
Other reasons for the high level of this type of leukocytes are:
- tuberculosis is an infectious disease that affects the lungs;
- parotitis - an acute infectious disease of the glands, often parotid and salivary;
- rubella is a viral etiology with a characteristic rash on the skin;
- whooping cough - a dangerous infection of the respiratory tract;
- brucellosis is a rare type of bacterial infection transmitted from a sick animal to a person;
- herpes simplex virus - infection with flu-like symptoms and blistering rashes on the mucous membranes and skin;
- leukemia - a malignant disease of the hematopoietic system;
- mononucleosis - an acute viral disease that affects the lymph nodes, liver, spleen, pharynx;
- hepatitis is an infectious disease of the liver, leading to its inflammation;
- Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease of humans and animals caused by Toxoplasma invasions;
- cytomegalovirus infection - a disease caused by the virus of the same name and having a manifestation in the form of SARS, damage to internal organs or the genitourinary system;
- poliomyelitis - an acute infectious disease with spinal cord lesion poliovirus;
- typhoid fever - acute cyclic intestinal infection caused by a bacterium of the genus Salmonella;
- syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection;
- hyperthyroidism - hyperthyroidism, leading to an increase in the hormones triiodothyronine and thyroxine;
- serum sickness - a condition that leads to the use of animal sera;
- ulcerative colitis - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the colon;
- sickle cell anemia is a hereditary disease caused by a change in the structure of the hemoglobin protein.
Of the entire list of diseases mentioned above and leading to lymphocytosis, the most frequent causes of an increase in blood levels of the main cells of the immune system of lymphocytes are:
- whooping cough;
- lymphatic leukemia;
In addition, antiepileptic drugs, as well as blood transfusions, can lead to high lymphocyte counts.
Increasing the level of lymphocytes, the body gives a signal about the problem, the root cause of which can be a large number of pathologies. In any case, measures are needed to localize and treat the disease. Health and success to you!