Augmentin is a penicillin-based antibiotic that fights most infections and is approved for use by both adults and children. However, with the selection of the correct dosage of the Augmentin 400 suspension for children, as it turned out, there are many problems for those young parents who act without the recommendations of the pediatrician or are trying to replace this remedy with what was prescribed by the doctor. It is from such mistakes that numerous negative reviews about the preparation are born. How to understand all the subtleties and not to harm yourself and the child?
"Augmentin": general characteristics of the drug
The main components of Augmentin, regardless of the form of its release, are amoxicillin antibiotic and lactamase liquidator - clavullic acid. The main burden lies with amoxicillin: it is thanks to him that the drug has an antibacterial effect against virtually any infection. However, it has a significant drawback - the majority of pathogenic microorganisms quickly get used to it and stop responding, as a result of which an additional component is needed that will destroy the resistance of viruses. This component is clavullic acid.
- Amoxicillin is included in the penicillins group and in most cases is well tolerated, as a result it can be used in therapy in young children and pregnant women, but it has a number of side effects. In addition, it is not approved for use in patients with phenylketonuria, renal failure, and impaired liver function.
The main indications for taking the Augmentin suspension are:
- Infectious diseases of the respiratory tract in any form, including the recurrence of chronic conditions;
- Infectious diseases of the genitourinary system;
- Skin diseases caused by infection;
- Prevention of infections after surgery.
To receive the suspension "Augmentina" prepared according to the following algorithm:
- The powder is poured into a bottle, after which it is poured with warm (not hot!) Water, which is necessarily boiled before it;
- The bottle is shaken so that the granules are maximally dissolved, and placed for 4-5 minutes. until complete dissolution of particles of matter. If this does not happen, the container should be shaken again and set aside;
- Add water to the risks on the inside of the bottle;
- After that, the suspension is ready for use. It can be stored in the cold, if not subjected to freezing, for 7 days, but it is recommended to use it in a shorter time. To use the suspension on day 8 is prohibited, even if visually it has not changed its properties;
- Before use, the bottle with liquid is shaken, and the desired volume is poured into a measuring spoon or typed with a syringe. After use, any of the items must be thoroughly washed, avoiding the accumulation of drug particles on the surface;
- If necessary, allowed to dilute the liquid with warm boiled water in an equal ratio, but the child will have to drink an increased volume, not half of it;
The estimated price of the suspension "Augmentin 400" ranges from 380-460 rubles.
Dosage of Augmentin 400 for children: self-help manual
The main difficulty lies in the fact that, since the active active ingredients in preparation 2, the concentration of each of them is indicated on the packaging. Thus, the following options of powdered Augmentina are presented in pharmacies:
- 125 mg + 31.35 mg;
- 200 mg + 28.5 mg;
- 400 mg + 57 mg.
Each proportion is focused on 5 (!) Ml of the finished suspension. In the prescriptions of the doctor and the usual mention of the drug, "Agumentin" is called according to a larger number - 125, 200 or 400. Consequently, the dosage for children and adults is calculated from the concentration of the antibiotic, not the clavulinic acid. Thus, Agumentin 125 and Agumentin 200 are not interchangeable due to the non-identical ratio of active ingredients. For proper treatment is required to choose exactly the option that was prescribed by the doctor.
- "Augmentin 400" is designed for adults and children over 12 years old and weighing 40 kg, while the use of the drug in this concentration of active ingredients is prohibited in children under 2 years of age. They are recommended "Augmentin 125".
- The calculation of the individual dosage of the drug is carried out using the values of body mass, age and complexity of the disease. Clavulinic acid in the calculation does not take into account and focus only on amoxicillin.
- The amount of "Augmentin 400" for children under the age of 12 should be chosen so that for each kg of body weight there is no more than 45 mg of amoxicillin. The minimum dosage is 25 mg per 1 kg of weight.
- The choice of values within the specified framework occurs with an eye on the sensitivity of the organism and / or the degree of the disease. Thus, the minimum values are suitable for the treatment of skin infections, tonsillitis in the chronic stage and giving relapses; maximum oriented to the exacerbation of any infectious diseases, as well as the treatment of pneumonia, bronchitis, etc. It is important to understand that the above algorithms - the calculation of the total (not a single!) Dosage. In addition to it, there are nuances of scheduling therapy using Augmentin: it also depends on the concentration of the active substance and the age of the child.
- For children under 12 years old, “Augmentin 400” is given no more than 2 times a day, observing a break of 12 hours between doses.
Thus, if a child of 7 years old and weighing 26 kg needs 45 mg of Augmentin 400 for every kg of weight, then the total dosage will be 1,170 mg divided into 2 doses, 585 mg each. Considering the fact that in 5 ml of the finished suspension will be only 400 mg, you will need to make 7.3 ml per administration, or 14.6 ml per day. Accurately calculating the Augmentina 400 dosage for children according to the instructions is not easy due to several mathematical operations that are easily confused. To facilitate this process, the manufacturer offers averaged values, but they are not suitable for every organism and can only serve as a hint for those who are trying to understand whether they have calculated everything correctly.
- Children from 1 year old and weighing from 10 to 18 kg can use no more than 5 ml of the finished suspension;
- Children over 6 years old and weighing 19 kg are allowed 7.5 ml of the suspension;
- For children from 10 years old and weighing more than 29 kg, 10 ml of suspension is used for treatment.
Values are indicated for a single dose (for daily multiply by 2), but they do not take into account the severity of the disease.
Suspension "Augmentin": consumer reviews
As with all antibiotics, the attitude of patients (especially young parents) to "Augmentin" is extremely controversial: no one has any doubt that this medicine should be used only when absolutely necessary, but sometimes even this need does not cover the drawbacks of the drug.
Inna: Augmentin is used only for bronchitis, which cannot be controlled by any less painful means, and, moreover, we make it a component of complex therapy. Suspension "Augmentina" taken for 4 days with a frequency of 1 time per day, 5 ml (child 3.5 years). After the antibiotic, we begin the restoration of microflora (it is important not to do this simultaneously with the antibiotic.
Olga: Buy Augmentin was made by a pediatrician when my son (6 years old) and I came to her for help and some kind of prescription to cure tonsillitis. I prescribed 5 ml of suspension every day for a week. I trusted the specialist and tried to follow the instructions clearly: after the first admission, my son complained of nausea, but I did not attach any importance to this - he had a fever, wrote it off. But at night, after the second intake, the child vomited already more strongly, vomited. However, I suspected the problems in Augmentina only the next day, when vomiting became constant (we continued to drink the suspension). I had to cancel the treatment and go back to the doctor. It turned out that this is a fairly frequent adverse reaction.
"Augmentin" can not be called safe and suitable absolutely all medicine: like any antibiotic, it has a large number of contraindications and possible side effects, which, as reviews show, occur quite often. Strict adherence to the dosage specified in the instructions, can guarantee protection against overdose, but will not protect against the individual reaction of the body. Therefore, resort to antibiotics only as directed by your doctor and with utmost care.