It is difficult to disagree with the fact that for the treatment of infectious diseases, antibiotics are the most common and effective group of medicines. Despite all their negative qualities, they work quickly, quickly cope with the virus and eliminate it. However, each such course of treatment requires weighing the pros and cons, especially when it comes to pediatric therapy. How good is Amoxicillin for this purpose, and how to correctly calculate its dosage for the child?
"Amoxicillin" for children: general characteristics of the drug
Based on the active substance of the same name - amoxicillin trihydrate, this medicine belongs to the category of synthetic synthetic penicillins. Its effectiveness is explained by the influence on the synthesis of the cell wall element, which in turn leads to the dissolution of bacteria. The best result is achieved in the fight against gram-negative cocci and chopsticks, as well as gram-positive cocci. He also works against any bacteria that is sensitive to penicillins.
- Amoxicillin is a substance resistant to acidic gastric juice, as a result of which its oral administration is no less effective than intravenous administration. This element has a high degree of bioavailability, after 30 minutes. after administration, the body’s primary reaction is observed, and the effect lasts for 6–8 hours.
- In newborns and premature babies, amoxicillin's half-life may take 4 hours, in an adult and a child older than a year, 1.5 hours. Problems with the functioning of the kidneys can extend this period to 8 hours.
The main indications for the use of "Amoxicillin" are any infectious diseases of the respiratory tract, as well as the urinary system. It is possible to use the drug for the treatment of intestinal infections, skin and soft tissue lesions.
The antibiotic is contraindicated in children with sensitivity to penicillin, asthmatics, people with gastrointestinal problems (in the acute stage), diathesis of allergic etiology, and impaired liver and kidney function.
Instructions for use of the drug
How to calculate the dose of "Amoxicillin" for children? To answer this question, you need to understand the form of release of the drug: in pharmacies it is presented in the form of tablets and capsules with a dosage of 250 mg and 500 mg for each type, as well as in powder format for suspension and injection. It is recommended for children to buy either granules, or tablets and capsules with a dosage of 250 mg - it is much easier to calculate the desired amount of medication.
- Children under 2 years should not take more than 20 mg per kg of body weight with exacerbation of the disease, and more than 15 mg per kg of body weight - at its initial stages. This dose should be divided into 2-3 parts, separated into morning, afternoon and evening receptions.
- Children under 5 years of age have a maximum daily dose of 275 mg, and more than 125 mg should not be drunk at a time.
- Children up to 10 years, doctors recommend using up to 750 mg, but a single dose - up to 250 mg.
Children older than 10 years old are shown an adult dosage, but this depends on the sensitivity of the organism, therefore, it is better to discuss this nuance with a doctor.
The effect of "Amoxicillin" does not depend on food, between receptions it is necessary to wait an interval of 6-8 hours. The course of therapy is established by a specialist, the recommended duration for children is no more than 12 days.
Reviews of parents and doctors about the appointment of "Amoxicillin" to children
Most often, this medication is prescribed by specialists in case of sore throat and the initial stage of any infectious viral disease: doctors say that if you start taking it when the first symptoms appear, and not in a serious condition, you can do a very short course (2-3 days), as a result of which the occurrence of adverse reactions will be seriously reduced. If you take "Amoxicillin" as a drug for non-long-term treatment, as well as weak forms of the disease, it justifies its cost and is rated quite high. These words are confirmed by young parents.
- Anna: If someone had said to me earlier that one can not be afraid of antibiotics, I would not have believed it. When the doctor ordered us to adapt to school (grade 1, the daughter did not go to the garden) “Amoxicillin”, looking at our list of non-stop sore throats, acute respiratory infections, tonsillitis and other infections, I thought that my child would stop getting out of the house at all , because the sad experience of antibiotics we already had a few years ago. The main difference between Amoxicillin and other antibiotics is that it does not irritate the gastrointestinal tract, as a result of which the daughter’s stool has not changed, and no nausea has occurred. We calmly drank the suspension for a week. A year has passed, strong viruses have not overcome us yet, adaptation to school went well.
- Veronica: Of the antibiotics existing in pharmacies, "Amoxicillin" is the most affordable in terms of its price and quite good compared to other similar ones. Side effects on the digestive system are manifested depending on its sensitivity: the younger son (2.5 g) drank absolutely calmly, in general did not complain about anything. The elder (6 years old) had dysbacteriosis, was disturbed by cutting pains in the stomach. For 6 days of therapy, the children became better, but for the older one I will now look for a replacement.
Summarizing the assessment of consumers, it can be argued that "Amoxicillin" is a worthy medicine, but not the best, and even though it is much milder than other antibiotics, an individual reaction of the body is not excluded, which will then require expensive restoration of microflora and elimination of drug residues. Therefore, to talk about savings due to the low price of "Amoxicillin" definitely can not. And, in any case, the doctor must prescribe this remedy, since it does not fall into the category of safe medicines for self-treatment.