Every nation has its own traditional dishes. For a long time, Georgia has been famous for its spicy sauces and meat dishes. Gourmets know what Lagman is, how to choose the right pita bread and cook manti. Another key element of Georgian cuisine is tkemali sauce. We invite you to find out what it is eaten with, what ingredients are used in the original version, and how you can replace them in recipes.
Tkemali sauce: composition
Tkemali sauce is one of those things, without which it’s really hard to imagine the dinner table of any citizen of Georgia. It is he who gives a special taste to most products and makes the dishes complete. Therefore, anyone who appreciates the cuisine of this country should be familiar with the recipes and features of cooking sauce.
There are more than 100 versions of tkemali, since each housewife works with her own recipe. In this case, it is customary to distinguish 3 main types: green, red or yellow. The hue is primarily caused by the color of the plum used to prepare the product. The first option is achieved by adding to the classical recipe of thorns, giving not only a color change, but also a new flavor note. Usually, tkemali green sauce is more sweet than red or yellow.
The latter is obtained by using plums of red or yellow hue. This is the most familiar variation of Georgian sauce. It is characterized by a sour taste with a spicy note, which makes tkemali an ideal addition to meat dishes.
In Russia, when preparing a sauce, the specific type of plum is often replaced with a currant. Although, despite the affinity of these two fruits, the gourmet will find many differences in their tastes. The lovers of novelty recipes often practice using sour varieties of currant or gooseberry as a base for Georgian sauce.
In addition, the presence in the recipe of tkemali and marsh mint ombalo is obligatory. Without this seasoning to get a classic Georgian taste will not work, no matter how much the replacement ingredient is chosen. It is the tandem of plum and marsh mint, which grows only on the territory of Georgia, that allows you to feel the beauty of the tkemali sauce. In addition, it is the presence of ombbalo impedes the process of fermentation of plums. Russian women practice the use of apple and peppermint, thyme, as the components closest in their characteristics, and also lemon balm. Last but not least among the ingredients are garlic and various seasonings and greens. The latter is always served separately, and not poured into the total capacity in the manufacture of the sauce. From the spices in the course usually goes coriander, pepper (usually red), salt, cilantro. Garlic can be either ground or finely ground fresh.
Despite the calorie sauce, 418 kk. per 100 g., there is a lot of benefit in the product. Therefore, 86% of the fat in the composition should not scare.
The main plus of cherry plum is the presence of tannins, as well as pectin. As a result, when combined with a sauce with meat dishes in one meal, the assimilation of the latter by the body is greatly facilitated. We must not forget about spices and seasonings that affect metabolic processes, and garlic. It has a positive effect on immunity.
Tkemali sauce recipes, as previously mentioned, do not count. That is why it is enough to disassemble the classic version and some particularly interesting modifications. The rest should be left to the individual taste and fantasy. By the way, one of the variations of tkemali sauce, obtained by simply changing the base from cherry plum to tomato, is satsibeli.
- Tkemali plums - 1 kg.
- Garlic - 1 head
- Red pepper - 1 pc.
- Marsh mint, cilantro - 1 beam
- Sugar - 2 tbsp.
- Tkemali plums are laid in a cauldron or pot and poured with cold water. Its not worth pouring a lot. It is enough just to cover the cover.
- After that, the pan is put on the fire, and the water is brought to a boil.
- At the power of the plum burner reduced to half the capacity, they cook about 35-40 minutes. The main indicator of their readiness is softness to the extent that the product is lightly primed.
- The fruit loses bone and skin, is passed through a grater, meat grinder or scrolls in a blender. The main task - to turn it into a single mass, resembling its appearance jam.
- Small hot red pepper is crushed diligently in any convenient way and poured into the resulting puree. There the pounded head of garlic, finely chopped ombbalo and cilantro are also put.
- The dish is required to boil for 5-7 minutes, after which it is salted. In the pan put a bunch of cilantro and dill, as well as 2 tbsp. Sahara. 2 more minutes given to languishing under the lid.
- The cooled mixture must be transferred to a blender or use a mixer to bring it to the state of sour cream. Serve sauce to the dishes necessarily cold.
Tkemali is combined only with ready-made food and does not accept new heat treatment. Storage of the sauce should take place in a cold place without a source of light.
What do Tkemali eat with?
As for what they eat tkemali with, there are many options. As already mentioned, this is a mandatory component of the dinner table for the residents of Georgia. Serve it absolutely to any dish. In particular, the sauce is good with any meat or fish product. He is able to perfectly complement potatoes or pasta, and even a sandwich, becoming its main component. In Russia, tkemali sauce is often used with casseroles and egg dishes.
The recipe for green modification is not too different from the original.
- Cherry plum - 1 kg.
- Green pepper - 1 pc.
- Cilantro, mint - 1 bunch
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- It requires the same way as was discussed above, boil 1 kg. green cherry plum. Time it takes no less than to work with plum tkemali. After that, the product also loses pits and skin, rubbed or ground in a blender and laid out back into the pan, but without water.
- A bunch of cilantro, combined with the same amount of dill and ombalo (you can substitute thyme, apple or peppermint) are minced in a meat grinder. A pod of green pepper and 4 cloves of garlic are transformed into a single mass in the same place.
- The whole mixture of herbs is introduced into cherry plum puree, after which the dish is another 5 minutes. It is heated on fire. The final stage is the addition of 1 tsp. coriander and salt.
Fans of exotic variations will appreciate the tkemali, based not on plums, but on gooseberries and red currants. It is no less interesting than the original recipe, and just as versatile to use.
Taken in proportion 1: 1 currants and gooseberries total 900 g. 2 tablespoons is selected sugar, 8 cloves of garlic, half a pod of red hot pepper, and 20 gr. Fresh cilantro, mint, basil and parsley. Salt is used if desired. Water for so many berries is enough 400-500 grams.
The method of cooking is already known, as well as the methods of grinding greens, as well as the subsequent languishing over low heat. It should be noted that after distributing the sauce to dry hot cans, it is worth laying a little grated horseradish under the cork. Otherwise, the risk of souring and mold growth increases.
It is important to remember that during cooking, the volume of the drain changes, as a result of which the finished quantity of the product is much smaller. Therefore, the expected quantity must be multiplied by 4 to calculate the required weight of the components. For example, for 0.5 liters. sauce will have to prepare 2 kg. drain
Experienced housewives are advised to take either a non-stick coating or a thick pot made of cast iron or aluminum cauldron for making tkemali. You can use a wooden spatula or spoon for mixing. During cooking it is worthwhile to constantly taste the dish. This will allow you to understand what is missing, and help to prepare an unusual tkemali sauce.