An indispensable ingredient for cooking in South India is one of the most acidic seasonings called tamarind. For cooking spicy soups, rice dishes and spicy pastes, it is indispensable.
The taste and appearance of tamarind
Seasoning has a sweet-sour, fruity taste and a sweet smell. A mixture of brown sugar and lemon juice can replace the taste of tamarind. Tamarind looks like dried brown flesh. It contains invert sugar and organic acids.
Tamarind: Useful Properties
Tamarind itself has an antiseptic and depletive effect on the body. It is used for treating ulcers and disorders of the stomach, even for treating diabetes. The tamarind mousse is a mild weakening agent that holds fluid in the intestine, which has a debilitating effect on it.
Tamarind in cooking
- Tamarind sauce is perfect for soy meat.
- Compote of apples and tamarind is not only tasty, but also useful.
- Tamarind seasoning itself is used to make jams, juices and drinks. Can be added to marinades for tofu and meat, fish and poultry dishes.
- It goes well with chili peppers.
- Tamarind is also a part of the Worcestershire sauce.
- To make tamarind water for flavoring, you need to take 1 teaspoon of tamarind and soak overnight in 150 ml of hot water. For faster cooking, take a few pieces of tamarind and boil for 10 minutes in a little water.
- Such water is stored for 7 days in the refrigerator in glass and porcelain dishes. Tamarind seasoning can be stored for 24 months at temperatures from 0 to + 25C.
- The dried tamarind concentrate is stored for an unlimited time.
Tamarind drink is made from 0.5 cups of tamarind, sugar to taste and 1.5 liters of water. Pour water, add tamarind, set on fire and bring to a boil. Strain and cool. Mass wipe through a sieve and diluted in 3 cups of cold water, add sugar. If desired, you can add rose water. Serve with ice cubes.
In order to make chutney of dates and tamarind, we take 1 cup of tamarind, teaspoon cumin, 2.5 cups water, 0.5 teaspoon sugar, ¼ tsp cardamom, ¼ teaspoon salt and 50 g dates. Fill tamarind with water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, insist 2 hours. The resulting mass is rubbed through a sieve. Mix dates, cumin and cardamom, sugar and salt. Boil until thickened for 2 minutes.
In the seasoning, the beneficial properties appear a little less, but they do not disappear completely, so besides the exotic taste of the dishes, you get the benefits. Virtually every product contains the benefits that nature has given him, and tamarind is also no exception.