In Russia, kvass was the number one drink. It was cooked in monasteries and soldiers' barracks, in hospitals and hospitals, in manor’s estates and peasant cottages.
Along with trace elements in kvass contains more than 10 amino acids and 8 of them are essential. The amount of vitamins in kvass, at first glance, is not very large, but their regular intake in the body gives a tangible positive effect.
Kvass, made from rye and barley malt, possesses not only high taste qualities, but invigorates and normalizes metabolic processes in the body. In addition, kvass, like any product of lactic fermentation, regulates the activity of the gastrointestinal tract, prevents the reproduction of harmful and pathogenic microbes, raises the body's tone, improves metabolism and favorably affects the cardiovascular system.
How to make homemade yeast kvass?
Yeast brew has a richer taste, it starts to ferment faster.
- 8-10 g dry or pressed yeast
- 300-400 g of rusks (white and rye)
- 1-2 tbsp. Sahara
- 3 liters of boiling water
- First, prepare the sourdough. Beforehand, it is necessary to dry rye and white crackers for the future, it is necessary to fry them until golden brown. We hold the three-liter jar a little over the steam so that it does not crack, pour boiling water over it. Lay it in half with breadcrumbs and fill with boiling water for 2/3, leave for 2-3 hours so that the breadcrumbs are soaked. Dissolve the yeast in warm water, add 3 tbsp. sugar, wait until the yeast dissolve. Then pour them into the jar, mix with breadcrumbs and leave for 2 days in a cool place. Since the leaven will ferment, the jar should be put in the pan.
- When the leaven is ready, pour out the water, mash the contents of the jar well, put some into another three-liter jar, pour the rest.
- Now we prepare the kvass itself. In a jar of sourdough, add a handful of crackers, sugar, put to taste (if the okroshka 4-5 tablespoons, and if drinking 6-8 tablespoons). Insist kvass day in a warm place, you can in the sun. Then pour the finished drink, re-add the crackers and sugar for a new batch, do not pour the starter. To taste you can add mint, raisins, berries, lemon, cinnamon.
How to cook homemade kvass without yeast?
This brew is easier to prepare, it does not taste so tart, it is suitable for those who do not like the taste of yeast in brew.
- Rye crackers 300 g
- Boiled water 3l
- Kvass wort - 6-8 tbsp.
- Sugar - 2-3 tbsp.
- Loaf of rye bread cut into pieces and put in the oven until they have a golden crust.
- Put crackers, sugar and kvass wort in hot water in a three-liter jar, pour the crackers.
- Kvass put in a hot place for 2-3 days, when the crackers ferment, drain the kvass and put it in the refrigerator. In a new batch, add 2-3 crackers and water with sugar and kvass wort.
Kvass quenches thirst well on hot summer days. It is good both as a separate drink and in okroshka. Centuries of experience has shown that kvass contributes to the preservation of health and improves performance.