Mojito is a favorite drink of many. It perfectly quenches thirst in the summer heat and is among the ten most popular cocktails in the world. For the first time, mojito was cooked in Cuba at the beginning of the 19th century, but this recipe was invented not by Cubans, but by Americans. At that time, there was prohibition throughout the United States, and bartenders left for Cuba in search of work.
The mojito is considered the forerunner of the American drink "Mint Julep", which is made from whiskey, sugar syrup and mint, with the addition of ice crumbs.
Although the classic Mojito recipe involves adding rum, it is not necessary to do this. Soft drink is no less tasty. The main thing in its preparation to adhere to some rules:
- Rum is the main ingredient of this drink, therefore it is worth taking a very responsible approach to its choice. You should not be guided by the high price. Dark quality rum varieties with years of exposure are very tasty, but they are not suitable for mojito. This cocktail is best cooked with inexpensive white rum. Of course, it does not undergo aging for a long time and does not have as rich taste and aroma as dark varieties, but is ideal for cocktails.
- The second very important component is mint. Mint leaves give the cocktail a cooling effect, a pleasant aroma and taste. Also, thanks to mint, mojito refreshes well on hot days. For the preparation of a drink, it is best to use not ordinary, but peppermint mint with a high content of menthol - it is responsible for the freshness and chill effect. Only the leaves of the plant are put in the mojito, it is not recommended to add the stems, as they give the drink an unpleasant bitterness. For one portion, 2-3 sprigs of peppermint are sufficient, but the usual one is better to put more, about 5-7 sprigs. If suddenly you do not have fresh mint, you can replace it with mint syrup, which, moreover, will eliminate the need to put sugar in a cocktail.
- A pleasant bitter-sour taste gives the cocktail a lime. Professional bartenders recommend using lime, not lemon. Although the latter is the closest relative of lime, its use does not change the taste of the mojito for the better. Limes are sold in many stores, so buying it is not difficult. A good and fresh fruit should be dense, with a shiny yellow-green skin.
- In mojito always put ice. It is preferable to add ice chips, rather than large pieces. To make the crumbs, wrap the ice cubes in a clean towel and crush them with a bottle. When making ice, it is important to remember that it absorbs various odors very well. To prevent the cocktail from being spoiled by extraneous flavors, put only ice frozen in it, directly, before making the mojito. It is better if the ice freezer will have a lid.
How to make a mojito at home: cooking recipes
Mojito with cucumber
- Lime juice - 2 tbsp. l
- Cucumber - 5 slices
- Peppermint -5 leaves
- Lime 4 slices
- White rum and sugar syrup - 30 ml
- Put lime slices, cucumber slices and mint sprigs into a special tall cocktail glass.
- Slightly crush the ingredients with tolkushkoy, so that they make juice, but it does not turn into puree.
- Put everything in a shaker, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. If there is no shaker, you can use an ordinary jar with the lid closed.
- Strain the drink, leaving 1-2 mint leaves and a slice of lime. Pour the mojito into the glass and serve to the table.
- Peppermint - 4 sprigs (or 6 sprigs of regular mint)
- Lime - ½ pcs.
- Sprite chilled - 200 ml
- Apple juice - 150 ml
- Separate the mint leaves from the stems, and place them in a container for the preparation of cocktails.
- Mash the mint lightly with wooden pulp. Add the juice of half lime.
- After that add apple juice, sprite and ice crumb. Shake the drink in a shaker, pour it into a glass and serve it to the table.
Mojito with green basil and kiwi
- White rum - 200 ml
- Basil (greens) - 5 sprigs
- Water without gas - 200 ml
- Sugar - 200 gr
- Lime - 4 pcs.
- Kiwi - 2 pcs.
- Cook the sugar syrup. In a small saucepan, boil 200 ml of water. Enter a thin stream of sugar and mix well.
- Boil the syrup over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the ready syrup from the stove and cool.
- Wash and peel the kiwi. Cut the fruit into thin rings.
- Separate the basil leaves from the stems, rinse thoroughly and tear into small pieces with your hands.
- Put kiwi and basil in a container for making cocktails, add sugar syrup.
- Using tolkushki a little mash the basil kiwi, and then squeeze them lime juice.
- Add the rum, mix well and pour the drink into a shaker. Last of all, place the ice, stir the drink vigorously for 30 minutes and pour it into glasses.
Delicious berry mojito
- Mint - 8 leaves
- Sugar - 2 tsp.
- Lime juice - 1 tbsp. l
- White rum - 45 ml
- Water (with or without gas) - 45 ml
- Blueberries - a few berries
- Put lime slices and mint in the mortar, remember with a pestle for a bit and place in a glass.
- Add a few blueberry berries lime juice, mix. Then pour the rum and put ice.
- After that, add water to the cocktail and shake or mix.
Mojito based on currant lemonade
- Lemonade - 150 ml
- Currants (red and black) - 25 gr.
- Peppermint - 2 sprigs
- Lime - 2 slices
- Black currant leaves - 3 pcs.
- Sugar - 10 gr
- Ice - 100 gr
- In a separate container, put both types of currants and mash them in mashed potatoes. In a tall cocktail glass, place half the ice, pounded berries on top.
- In a mortar, put a piece of currant and mint, add lime slices and mash everything to a state of gruel.
- Put this mixture on currant puree. Top with a uniform layer of sugar, and then the second part of the folk.
- Gently pour lemonade into the glass so as not to disturb the layers. Optionally, decorate the drink with mint leaves and currants, a circle of lime.
- Mint - 6-8 leaves
- Cherry without stones - 2 tbsp.
- Sugar - ¼ Art.
- Lime juice - ¼ Art.
- Lime peel - 1 tbsp. l
- Ice Crumb - 4 tbsp.
- White rum - 1 tbsp.
- Water with gas - 2 tbsp.
- In the bowl of the blender, place the cherry, zest and lime juice, mint leaves, granulated sugar and ice (2 tbsp.).
- Beat well until smooth. Add rum and soda water, mix.
- Put the rest of the ice and pour it into special glasses.
- Mint - 4 leaves
- Lime - ½ pcs.
- Watermelon pulp - 120 gr
- White rum - 60 ml
- Ice crumb - 0.5 tbsp.
- Sugar - 1 tbsp. l
- Peel mint leaves and place on the bottom of a deep glass.
- Cut the lime into small slices and add to the mint, then add sugar.
- Mash everything with a wooden crust to make lime and mint juice.
- Pulp watermelon finely chop, mash slightly and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the rum and add ice. Mix the mojito well and pour into glasses.
Brazilian Mojito with Champagne
- Mint - 6 leaves
- Sugar - 2 tbsp. l
- Lime - 1 pc.
- White rum - 60 ml of rum
- Champagne dry
- Cut the lime into slices and place in a tall glass.
- Add sugar, mint and remember well tolkushkoy.
- Pour in rum, sprite and champagne. Mix well and serve.
How to make a mojito cocktail with vodka and pepper?
- Vodka - 60 ml
- Sugar syrup - 20 ml
- Lime juice - 30 ml
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Chilli pepper (red and green) - 1 pc.
- Peppermint - 6 branches
- Sparkling water
- Pour lime juice, vodka and sugar syrup into a shaker. Shake the ingredients well for 30 seconds.
- Lemon wash and cut into 4-6 pieces. Wash the peppers, remove seeds and cut into several medium pieces.
- Put lemon and pepper in a shaker, shake a few times. Add mint leaves crushed in a mortar.
- Shake everything again and pour in sparkling water. Pour the drink into glasses.
- Soft drinks at home
- Baileys liqueur at home: a recipe
- Blender Cocktails
As you can see, cooking mojito alone is very simple. This is especially true now, when outside the window +30. By the way, you can vary the recipe by adding citrus fruits or pineapples to mojito. Make such a drink for a party, and your guests will be delighted!