French fries - one of the most popular ways of cooking potatoes. In addition, it is very nutritious, tasty and hearty dish, and it is not expensive. Invented to cook this vegetable American Indians. They learned to cultivate a wild plant, the first to evaluate its nutritional properties. Russia, following Europe, began to grow and cook potatoes. In general, it is not exactly established - who invented this dish. One legend tells that french fries appeared in the 19th century. in France. As if one of the Parisian cooks decided to fry it in boiling oil, pre-cut into cubes. This dish not only became popular in a fairly short time, but also began to be sold on the street, like roasted chestnuts. But the Belgians refute this legend and stubbornly assert that this compatriot invented this dish. As proof, they give a recipe for cooking traditional Belgian potatoes - they fry a vegetable in it 2 times. Thus, the crust becomes crispy, and the flesh remains tender and tasty. But it’s not so important - who invented this dish, the main thing - that it exists?
Despite the huge popularity, french fries are a harmful dish. It contains large amounts of carbohydrates and calories. The standard portion of the dish contains up to 400 kcal, 40% of which are converted into fats. Moreover, these are trans fats, which in addition to the development of atherosclerosis, cancer and diabetes, also contribute to the appearance of genetic changes. French fries are generously supplied with spices, most of which are salt, and its excess in the body increases the risk of developing strokes, heart attacks, urolithiasis and hypertension. Yes, and in public catering, the dish is not always fried in high-quality oil, and after all, repeated heating of the last product causes the formation of cancer cells, becoming a carcinogen. Also, this oil contains aldehydes, which can affect the body in old age, causing Alzheimer's disease.
French fries may not be so harmful. By itself, this vegetable is a source of macro and microelements, such as magnesium, iodine, potassium, and iron. And also potatoes contain vitamins of group B and ascorbic acid. The dish wins in terms of benefits if it is cooked in a slow cooker using high-quality fresh butter.
How to make french fries at home?
You can try to make your own french fries according to the original Belgian recipe.
- Potatoes - 5-6 medium tubers
- Vegetable oil
- Wash potatoes, peel and chop into cubes, approximately 1 cm thick.
- After placing it for 10 minutes in cold water, starch comes out of it, then take it out of the water and dry it.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet, put the potatoes into it and fry for 3-4 minutes until ready.
- Now you need to remove the potatoes, put on a paper napkin and slightly cool.
- After 15 minutes, the roasting should be repeated, but at a higher temperature. You need to fry it until it turns brown, but you need to make sure that it does not burn.
- Put the finished product back on a paper napkin.
- Such a potato turns out very tasty and less harmful!
How to fry french fries?
Many housewives who have decided to cook french fries at home are wondering: how to do this so that the potatoes are soft inside at the same time, but an appetizing crust is formed? One of these methods is the use of a particular potato variety, namely, juicy.
- Vegetable oil
- Wash the potatoes, peel and cut into strips. After it needs to be dried with a paper napkin.
- Now it should be sprinkled on top of the flour and mix thoroughly so that each piece is evenly covered with it.
- Heat a lot of vegetable oil in the pan, preferably olive oil.
- Then in the oil you need to dip the potatoes and fry until cooked, that is, until they become golden in color.
- Putting ready potatoes is better on a paper towel, so that excess glass of oil is removed from it.
How to cook french fries in a slow cooker?
Multivarki in our time have become real helpers housewives in the kitchen. They are very convenient to use, and you can cook almost anything in them! No exception here is the french fries. In the slow cooker, it is especially easy to do, but it turns out to be very appetizing!
- Potatoes - 1.5 kg
- Vegetable oil - 2 l
- Salt, ground black pepper - to taste
- The choice of potatoes for the preparation of this dish is an important task. First of all, vegetables should be mature. New potatoes for this dish will not work - it has no pronounced taste and it is loose. The grade is better for choosing soft. You can check this with the help of a knife - if a potato is easily cut with a not very sharp knife, then it is suitable.
- After the potato has been selected, it needs to be washed, peeled, cut into strips and put in cold water.
- Now you need to take a handful of potatoes and dry with a paper towel.
- Pour vegetable oil into the bowl of the slow cooker, add pepper and salt.
- Multicooker put in the "Baking" mode and as soon as the oil warms up, the potatoes need to be put in the multicooker bowl.
- It is necessary to fry the straw for 4 minutes, and if you have cut the potatoes into cubes, then 15 minutes.
- After the potato has acquired a golden color, it must be removed from the oil and put on a paper napkin to remove excess oil from it. The dish is ready!
French fries are far from being a healthy dish, even if it was cooked according to the rules and in vegetable oil, boiling only 1 time. Because of this, it is not recommended to introduce it into your daily diet, but this does not mean that you cannot occasionally indulge yourself and loved ones, even if it is harmful, but very tasty food!