MustardIt is a seasoning made from ground and whole seeds. It is often used in the preparation of dishes in different European countries, Russia also has not lagged behind the tradition of eating mustard. True, there is one difference - in Russia, hot mustard is used, and in Europe, sweeter is used.
What is Dijon mustard?
The most famous mustard is Dijon. Her story dates back to 1747 to the city of Dijon. Dijon mustard different from the usual exquisite taste and pleasant aroma. At first, Dijon mustard was made from black seeds. At the present time when preparing it, white seeds are also added.
To Dijon mustard turned out as in the best restaurants of Dijon, the seeds must be removed from the husk. Due to this mustard will get a nice yellow color. After adding the juice of unripe grapes, various spices and herbs, as well as salt. Herbs use thyme, tarragon and lavender. Thanks to them, Dijon mustard acquires a unique taste. If other herbal supplements are added to mustard, it can no longer be attributed to Dijon.
In world trade, more than half of the annual turnover of Dijon mustard comes from France. Some of the largest manufacturers are Amora and Maille. Dijon mustard is used to prepare various sauces and seasonings. Also such mustard seasoned roasted meat or fish. Exists two types of Dijon mustard - tender and strong.
As a rule, Dijon mustard is sold in clay jars, which are carefully washed and wiped. In our country it can be found not as often as in France. But if suddenly you found a supermarket selling Dijon mustard, remember, its price for a jar weighing 205 g with basil costs about 230 rubles, and the usual sharp Dijon mustard weighing 250 g will cost you about 150 rubles.
In fact, Dijon mustard recipe is not that complicated, and any mistress can cook it.
How to cook Dijon mustard?
Dijon mustard: a recipe
- Dry white wine - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard powder - 60 g
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp.
- Natural honey - 1 tbsp.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Tabasco Sauce - to taste
- Cut the onion and garlic into small pieces.
- Add wine, honey, chopped onion and garlic to the pan. Stir.
- Put the pot on the fire, bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and strain.
- Add the mustard powder to the mixture and whisk everything with a whisk or mixer.
- Add vegetable oil to the mixture, add Tabasco sauce (a few drops), salt and mix everything.
- Put the mixture on a slow fire and boil the mustard until it thickens. Mustard should get a consistency similar to sour cream.
- Cool and pour the mustard into a glass jar, cover and refrigerate for 2 days.
- After 2 days Dijon mustard can be eaten, seasoning meat dishes, boiled tongue, lard or poultry.
Dijon mustard with basil
- Dry white wine - 400 ml
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Honey - 3 tbsp.
- Mustard powder - 130 g
- Rapeseed oil - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - 2 tsp.
- Basil - 1 tbsp.
- Chop the onion, basil and garlic.
- Pour the wine into a pan with non-stick coating and pour the crushed ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool the prepared mixture, strain it through a sieve, and throw out everything that remains.
- While stirring constantly, gently add the mustard powder to the cooked mixture. Stir until the mass becomes homogeneous.
- Add rapeseed oil, honey and salt to the mustard mixture. Put on a slow fire and cook until the mustard thickens and becomes homogeneous. In this case, the mixture must be constantly stirring.
- Put the resulting Dijon mustard in a clean glass jar, wait until it cools, and put it in the fridge.
- Mustard is ready to eat.
Dijon mustard with cinnamon and cloves
- Seeds of white and black mustard - 150 g
- Spice blend "Provence herbs" - 1 tsp.
- Liquid honey - 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon - 1 pinch
- Carnation - 2 pcs.
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Allspice - to taste
- Wine vinegar - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 1 tsp.
- Put a mixture of Provencal herbs, cloves, and a few peas of allspice in a saucepan and add a little water. When the mixture boils, add salt and boil for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl using a mortar, crush the seeds of white and black mustard.
- Place crushed mustard seeds in a separate jar and pour the seasoning water mixture through a sieve. Add honey and a pinch of cinnamon to the mixture. Remember, the liquid should slightly cover the mustard seeds, but it should not be too much.
- Pour vinegar and olive oil into the mixture. Stir.
- Mustard must be cooled at room temperature and refrigerated.
What is useful mustard?
How to cook mustard at home?
Enjoy your meal!