Red cabbage dishes not only have a pleasant taste, but also look very beautiful. Salads from this vegetable can be a real decoration of the table. Also cooked from cabbage and other dishes. It is used in soups and various preparations for the winter. Like any product, a vegetable has its own cooking secrets.
What can be cooked with red cabbage?
Dishes, which add red cabbage, get a violet hue. This is a normal phenomenon associated with the composition of the vegetable. Especially beautiful are vegetable salads, which combine bright vegetables like sweet peppers and tomatoes. Recipes with red cabbage there is a lot. Whatever you decide to cook from it, you first need to choose the right head. It should not be visible damage. It is worth choosing cabbage with a size of at least 1 kg. It should be dense with elastic leaves. As for the color, the heads of cabbages are not always only purple. Shades can be bluish. Color depends on the growing conditions of the vegetable. On acidic soil, its leaves are less purple. So if you meet a cabbage, the color of which differs the traditional one, then you can safely buy it.
It is believed that it is more beneficial for health to eat red cabbage in salads. This dish contains the most vitamins.
- Cabbage - 350 gr.
- Red onion - 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp.
- Wash cabbage and shred. In order for it to become softer, mash it with your hands.
- Onions cut into rings.
- Cabbage put in a salad bowl. Mix with onions. Salad dressing with vegetable oil and salt.
Hot Flemish Salad
- Red cabbage - 600 gr.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Apples - 3 pcs.
- Butter - 2 tbsp.
- Sugar and salt to taste
- Cabbage cleaned from bad upper leaves. Finely chop. Onion chop.
- Heat the pan with butter. Put on her bow. Fry for 5 min.
- Put the cabbage and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Apples cut into cubes and mix with sugar. Add them to cabbage. Mix the salt and simmer another 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold. It can also be used as a side dish for meat or fish.
Red cabbage needs to be stewed, as well as white. As additional ingredients in the dish add a variety of vegetables, meat, sausage. Processed cabbage is served as a side dish to potatoes and fish. It is also prepared for meat dishes. We offer you some stewed cabbage recipes that can be prepared for lunch or dinner.
Red cabbage stewed with salami
- Cabbage - 1 head
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Tomatoes - 4 pcs.
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 pc.
- Salami sausage - 200 gr.
- Vegetable oil, spices - to taste
- Peel the onion and finely chop. Bulgarian pepper is cleaned from the seeds with a knife, it is thoroughly washed from the inside. Cut into strips.
- Tomatoes are ground in a blender or finely chopped with a knife. Salami is cut into cubes or straws.
- On a medium fire put the pan with a small amount of oil.
- When it warms up, put onions on the pan. Then it is fried to transparency. He must be half-cooked. Add pepper to onions. About 100 ml is poured into the pan. water and stew 5-7 minutes.
- Cabbage chopped, crumpled and after 7 minutes. spread to the onions and peppers in the pan. There also add chopped tomatoes. Mix extinguish 15-20 minutes. until the cabbage is soft. If necessary, add vegetable oil.
- In 20 minutes. put sliced sausage in the pan with vegetables. Dish salt, add spices and stew everything together until tender.
Tushimkapust with wine vinegar
- Cabbage - 1 pc. (about 1 kg.)
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil - 30 ml.
- Green onions - 50 gr.
- Wine vinegar - 30 ml.
- Sugar, salt, spices - to taste
- Cabbage finely chop and mash your hands.
- Both types of onions finely chopped.
- Put a griddle on the middle fire. Pour a small amount of oil, heat it and put onions. Fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped cabbage and a small amount of water to the pan. Reduce heat and simmer cabbage until ready for 15-20 minutes.
- At the end of the dish add salt, pepper and pour vinegar into it. Simmer another 5 minutes.
Red cabbage can also be prepared for the winter or used as a cold-marinated snack.
Crispy pickled cabbage
- Red cabbage - 1 pc. (approximately 1-1.5 kg.)
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- 9% vinegar - 125 ml.
- Sugar - 4 tbsp.
- Salt - 1 tbsp.
- Pepper, clove - 5-6 pcs.
- Water - 1 l.
- Prepare glass jars (about 2 pieces of 0.5 ml.). Wash them thoroughly with soda. Let it dry.
- Red cabbage cut into 2 pieces. Remove the stalk. Each half cut into 4 more parts and in half. Sliced cabbage slightly remember hands. Garlic finely crumble.
- Prepare a large saucepan or enamel basin. Put the cabbage and garlic in it.
- In a separate bowl, boil water. Add sugar, salt and spices to it. Boil for 10 minutes. and pour in the vinegar. Keep marinade on fire for another 5 min.
- Pour the red cabbage mixed with garlic with the resulting hot solution. Stir the mixture with a spoon.
- Clean sterilized jars in a pot of water or in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Put in them cabbage with marinade and close the sterilized lids.
If you want to use the dish as a snack and not close it for the winter, then do a little differently. Pour the cabbage with marinade and put it under a press. As it can be used a flat plate and a three-liter jar of water. Tamper cabbage and place a jar on top of a plate. Allow the marinade to cool slightly. Put the cabbage under the press in the fridge. After 1-2 days the snack will be ready.
Red cabbage is, indeed, very useful, no matter what method of cooking you choose. It is believed that it improves the digestion and metabolic processes due to the high content of fiber. Also, fresh cabbage acts as an effective antioxidant. Some physicians are inclined to believe that it serves as an excellent means for the prevention of breast cancer. Of the minuses of this vegetable can only be distinguished that it should not be eaten in large quantities to people suffering from gastric and duodenal ulcers.
When using red cabbage, it is important to remove the upper leaves. Especially if they are damaged. It is also better to remove hard parts. The secret ingredients, which should be used in dishes from cabbage, is wine vinegar. It gives vegetables a very interesting savory taste and can be used both for stewing and for dressing fresh salads. It is also worth remembering that the cooking time of a vegetable can be different. It all depends on the amount of fluid. It is best to focus on the softness of cabbage. In the finished state, it does not crunch.
Red cabbage is prepared in the same way as regular white cabbage. It is added to salads, second and first courses. Whatever you decide to cook, remember: the head must be hard without damage. Its color can vary from bluish to deep purple.