Porridge firmly entered our diet. It is prepared for breakfast, many parents prefer to give it to babies as the first complementary foods. Ladies who care about their body eat oatmeal boiled in water. There are a lot of recipes. On how to cook porridge - on the water or on milk - depends on its benefits to the body and calories. But first, let's figure out which cereal should be preferred.
Why porridge "oatmeal"?
Oatmeal began to be called "oatmeal" porridge in Soviet times, when the flakes were produced in a package labeled "Hercules". And although in our time there are a lot of cereal producers, generations of many people associate it with this name. And the very word "Hercules" is the name of a mythical hero, famous for his strength. It’s not for nothing that manufacturers named this product: oatmeal adds health and vitality.
The concept of "oatmeal porridge" is firmly established for oatmeal. However, it is necessary to clarify what kind of croup is meant. The calorie content and method of preparation largely depend on the way it is processed.
Kind of cereals
Calorie (100 g of cereals)
Time for preparing
about 2 hours
Most often, the flakes “Extra” and “Hercules” are eaten, while the caloric content of the Herculeous porridge on the water is reduced three times - about 100 kcal per 100 g of porridge. "Extra" has recently become more popular: cereal is enough to pour boiling water to make a delicious and quick breakfast. However, it is difficult to call it useful. Crushed flakes during processing lose most of the vitamins and beneficial properties, and the amount of starch and caloric content in them increases. So it should be cooked flakes "Hercules": after grinded or unbroken grits, they are the most useful.
What is the benefit of oatmeal?
About the beneficial properties of oatmeal knew the Scots and the British, who used it since the 16th century. Experiments of the British Kadiff University confirmed that oatmeal porridge for breakfast during the month significantly improves the health indicators of the body.
The benefits of oatmeal are indisputable. She is:
- normalizes sleep and the nervous system;
- stimulates brain activity;
- cleanses the body;
- improves the functioning of the heart and blood vessels;
- positive effect on the state of the stomach;
- well satisfy hunger.
Hercules porridge on water, cooked in a slow cooker, in a saucepan or microwave will give health and longevity.
On water or on milk?
Hercules porridge cooked in the water, like a few. Most prefer to cook it in milk with added sugar. However, the 16th century Scottish chefs abandoned this recipe and served milk separately. There are a number of good reasons for this.
- Herculesic porridge contains vegetable proteins. If you add milk, the body has to digest proteins not only of plant origin, but also of animals. Digestion is difficult.
- Milk porridge is three times more caloric than boiled in water. For people who are watching the figure, it is recommended milk-free dish.
- Hercules porridge washes calcium, so that the calcium present in the milk is not absorbed.
The most useful is considered porridge on the water. Its recipe is very simple.
Cook in a saucepan
Plain oatmeal for breakfast can be cooked in a saucepan. The whole process will take no more than 15 minutes.
- 2 tbsp. flakes "Hercules";
- 4 tbsp. water;
- 0.5 tsp. salts;
- 2 tsp. butter;
- add sugar to taste.
- Cereal to sort out to prevent foreign particles and whole grains from getting into the porridge.
- Boil water, add salt and flakes.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat until the porridge thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Add butter and sugar to taste.
- Cover and leave for 10 minutes.
Recipe for multicooker
Hercules porridge on water in a slow cooker can be cooked in the evening and served hot in the morning without wasting time and effort.
- 0.5 tbsp. cereal;
- 1 tbsp. water;
- some salt.
You can take the proportions from the previous recipe, calculated on 4 servings.
- All components are laid out in a multicooker bowl and set on the "Porridge" mode.
- On the delay timer, select the time for which the dish should be ready.
- After the signal, take out the finished porridge and serve to the table, seasoned with butter.
It is necessary to cook porridge in a special dish so as not to spoil the device.
- 3 tbsp. l cereal;
- 1 tbsp. water;
- sugar, salt or honey to taste;
- 2 tsp. butter.
- Put cereal in a bowl.
- To fill with water. Its amount can vary depending on the desired viscosity of porridge.
- Put in a microwave and turn on the power of 700 watts.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add butter to porridge.
Although not everyone thinks hercules porridge on water is tasty, its recipe can be diversified and enriched with other tastes.
The perfect way out is to make your own muesli (oatmeal porridge with dried fruit). Dried prunes, raisins, dried apricots, figs, dates and other fruits are suitable for the dish. You can add homemade dried apples, pears, berries. Large dried fruits before boiling need to scald with boiling water and grind. Add them to porridge when the flakes are slightly thickened, and then cook another 3-4 minutes.
You can put fresh fruit pieces (bananas, apples, pears, raspberries, strawberries, currants, etc.), chopped nuts, honey, or maple syrup into the finished oatmeal porridge.
If you prefer savory porridge, you can add pieces of boiled or stewed lean meat (beef, veal, chicken, turkey), liver, vegetables.
Whatever you cooked oatmeal porridge on water, you can always modify the recipe, experiment with proportions and additives. Then from the usual flakes "Hercules" you get a useful and tasty culinary masterpiece!