For those who care about their health and monitor their figure, it is well known such a thing as calorie foods, but there is another criterion by which products are evaluated is the glycemic index. According to the glycemic index, carbohydrates are classified, the lower this index, the more acceptable the product is for dietary nutrition.
Michel Montignac has developed a classification according to which The following foods have a low glycemic index.
- Fruits: apricot, avocado, orange, pomegranate, grapefruit, pear, peach, plum, cherry, apple, tangerine, nectarine.
- Vegetables: eggplant, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, onions, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, radishes, beets, Bulgarian pepper, spinach.
- Berries: cherry, blackberry, strawberry, strawberry, raspberry, currant, blueberry, gooseberry.
- Cereals and legumes: beans, peas, sunflower seeds, corn, sesame, bran, germinated seeds, soybeans.
- Nuts: peanuts, walnuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts, almonds, hazelnuts.
- Greenery:dill, garlic.
- Other products: milk, seafood, cottage cheese, germinated grain bread.
All these products have GI from 15 to 35 units. Each of them can be included in its menu for weight loss. For comparison, the glycemic index of sugar is 100 units. Sugar, honey, white bread, and pastries have a high index.
Foods with a low glycemic index do not raise blood sugar levels, because the higher the GI, the more sugar enters the body. The carbohydrates from these products are absorbed more easily by the body; they are practically not deposited in body fat. Carbohydrates from high GI foods are quickly absorbed quickly, so after such a meal a person feels a feeling of hunger and consumes more food throughout the day.
Nutritionists advise to eat several foods with a low glycemic index, such as porridge and apple, for one meal. After such breakfast, the feeling of hunger will not appear immediately. Start your day with a hard carbohydrate breakfast., This breakfast will save you from having to snack between meals, which means that the total calorie intake during the day will decrease, which will definitely have a positive effect on your figure.
There are some tricks that help reduce the glycemic index, increase the nutritional value of foods.
7 tips to outwit the glycemic index
- Eat more fiber, it quenches hunger, normalizes digestion, reduces overall GI ration.
- It is better to eat raw vegetables, they have lower GI, and there are more vitamins in them, which is why they are so loved by syroeda and vegetarians.
- Do not digest potatoes and pasta., any heat treatment increases the glycemic index of the product. If you like potatoes very much, then boil it in a uniform and eat with the peel, and from pasta give preference to those made from durum wheat.
- Excessive grinding of the product increases GI.
- Reduces the glycemic index of a small amount of fat added to plant foods.
- Consume fruits and vegetables in the peel.This will not only increase the value of the product, but also reduce the glycemic index, because the skin is pure fiber.
- Never eat together sweet and fat.
But you should know that despite the fact that nuts have a low GI, they should not be abused, because they are very high-calorie products. But vegetables and berries, such as watermelon, despite the high GI can be eaten without fear, because their calorie content is low, which means you need to eat a lot of low-calorie foods so that the blood sugar level rises and provokes glycemia.
See also:What are fast and slow carbohydrates?
Properly developed diet will help improve your health, reduce weight and make you happy and desirable.