Many of us are accustomed to perceive the pumpkin only as a fodder crop: since this fruit has a specific taste, not everyone is ready to eat it. However, it is still worth doing, because its benefit for our body is difficult to overestimate. You just need to know how to cook a pumpkin, so that all its useful substances are preserved, and the taste becomes pleasant and tender.
Is boiled pumpkin useful?
By the number of nutrients pumpkin surpasses all other cultures. It is no coincidence that it is recommended to use it as one of the first complementary foods for babies. The vegetable contains a huge amount of various vitamins, including rare vitamin T, and minerals. A beta-carotene in it more than in carrots!
Usually the pumpkin is used in the processed form: boiled, steamed or roasted - so it becomes soft, juicy and more tasty. It is better for children not to give raw vegetables, especially those bought in the store, because there is a possibility that there will be pesticides in them. The fruit boiled on steam or in water is safer and also perfectly retains all its beneficial properties.
Boiled pumpkin is well absorbed by the body, it is actively used to feed children, the elderly and sick people.
How to cook a pumpkin?
Usually for the preparation of various dishes, which include pumpkin, this fruit is not boiled, as it loses its shape in water, turning into mush. But, if you need to cook soup from a vegetable, make mashed potatoes or prepare a baby food, heat treatment in a saucepan or a slow cooker is the quickest and most convenient option.
Preliminary preparation of the fetus
First of all, you need to prepare a pumpkin for further processing.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly (you can wipe with paper towels).
- Cut the fruit in half or, if it is too large, into 4 pieces.
- Peel off with a sharp knife. To make it easier to peel, you can pre-warm the pumpkin in the microwave.
- Remove the seeds and pulp. Pumpkin seeds do not throw away: they are also very useful.
- Cut the pumpkin into slices or cubes.
When the vegetable is cut, you can start cooking it.
Cook sunny vegetable in a saucepan
For cooking boiled "queen of vegetables" need the fruit itself, water and salt.
- Place pumpkin slices in a saucepan and cover with water so that it slightly covers the fruit.
- Wait for the water to boil and add salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes under the lid until the pumpkin is soft. If the fruit is not young, the cooking time should be increased to 40 minutes.
- To determine the readiness of the fruit, pierce it with a fork. If this is done easily, remove the saucepan from the heat.
Finished pumpkin can be served with sour cream, butter or other sauce seasoned with herbs. If you are cooking vegetables for cereal or dessert, use sugar or honey instead of salt.
Pumpkin can be cooked in a pan for a side dish according to Japanese traditions. The berry (the pumpkin belongs to the berries) will be piquant to the taste.
- pumpkin - 400 g;
- soy sauce - 2 tbsp. l .;
- sake or sherry - 4 tbsp. l .;
- lemon juice;
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l
- Wash and slice the pumpkin.
- Pour some water and rice wine into the pot. Put a vegetable.
- On medium heat, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat.
- Add sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Cook until softened pumpkin.
Very colorful and tasty side dish ready.
Features cooking in a slow cooker
An even easier way to cook a "sunny" vegetable.
- Peeled fruit cut into thin slices.
- Place the lobules on the bottom of the bowl back down.
- Fill with water so that it reaches the middle of the tank.
- Depending on the purpose of cooking, add salt, sugar or ground cinnamon.
- Install the program "Baking" and cook for 30 minutes.
This bright and fragrant dish will appeal to even those who do not like pumpkin.
And in order to boil porridge from it, grate the fruit on a coarse grater and cook for 20 minutes in milk (“Porridge” mode), adding salt and sugar to taste.
Cooking a healthy dish in a double boiler
If you need the pumpkin pieces to retain their shape (for example, for salad), then the best way to cook it would be a double boiler. Also in this device, it is desirable to process the vegetable for young children - this will largely preserve its useful qualities.
Cooking a pumpkin in a double boiler is very simple:
- Put the sliced pumpkin in a double boiler.
- Salt or add sugar and cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of the pieces).
- Add greens, sour cream or honey to the finished soft pumpkin.
In addition to these methods, you can steam the pumpkin in the oven (for example, in the sleeve, adding water and honey to it) or on the grill (15 minutes slices or even whole - it takes about an hour).
How to cook a pumpkin child?
Pumpkin - one of the most suitable products for the first feeding. Due to its coarse dietary fiber, pectin, it is well absorbed by the body, improves metabolism, and has a beneficial effect on the digestive organs, which is very important for babies. As already mentioned, it is best to use a steamer for cooking pumpkins for the child. But, if you do not have it, the usual method of cooking in a saucepan will do.
Toddlers usually perceive pumpkin puree well. Since the young fruit has a sweetish taste, it is not necessary to add sugar to the dish, which is also a plus. Starting to give the child pumpkin puree should be with 1-2 tsp., Gradually increasing the amount. Over time, you can add other vegetables - zucchini or potatoes.
To prepare a pumpkin for feeding:
- Rinse and peel off a small piece of fruit, cut into small thin cubes so that they are steamed faster.
- Put the pieces in a double boiler and close the lid. Boil for 20-25 minutes, periodically checking readiness.
- Put the cubes on a plate and mash well with a fork to a state of mashed potatoes. If you have a lot of pumpkin, you can punch it with a blender.
- To leave no lumps, pass the slurry through a sieve (preferably not iron).
Now you know how to cook a pumpkin for feeding. If the mashed potatoes turn out to be too thick, add boiled water to it (using the cooking method, you can add water to the puree in which the vegetable was boiled in the saucepan). Feed such baby porridge 2 times a week.
Although not everyone likes a pumpkin, everyone should eat it: you will not find such a supply of valuable substances in any other garden crop. In addition, if you know how to cook a pumpkin correctly, you can prepare a quite tasty dish that can support your health and feed the baby with use.