In late autumn, an exotic fruit with an interesting name, feijoa, appears on the shelves of grocery stores. Many Russian buyers have not figured out to the end - what kind of fruit is it and how is it useful?
Feijoa is a genus of tropical South American trees currently growing in the subtropical part of the Crimea and the Caucasus, as well as in Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan. Most often, it is from there that he gets on the shelves of markets and shops of other cities in Russia. The smell and taste of this fruit is something between kiwi and strawberries, and some pick out pineapple notes. In any case, in order to fully recognize the taste of feijoa, you need to eat only fully ripened fruits. But there is a big problem - these fruits are soft and easily damaged during transportation, therefore not fully ripe fruits get to the stores. In order to maximize the beneficial properties of the product, when buying a hard fruit, it must be left for several days for ripening. It should be soft, and its inside look like jelly. The more ripe the fruit is, the greater the benefit in it!
The main benefit of feijoa is its enrichment with iodine, because it can compete with fish and other marine products for its content. And in this fruit iodine compounds are water soluble, and they are well absorbed by the human body.
Feijoa is rich in vitamin C, sucrose, fiber, pectin, which makes it possible to recommend this fruit as a dietary product for atherosclerosis, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, colds, pyelonephritis and for general immunity. Feijoa peel is enriched with antioxidants, but because of its high tartness in fresh form, it is rarely used. To preserve this valuable product, it is most often dried and consumed as an additive, for example, for tea.
In order to select a truly healthy fruit, it must be cut, the flesh must be transparent. If it is white, then the fruit is not ripe, and if it is brown, it has spoiled. The immature feijoa can be acquired, it will mature at home in just a few days.
We also read:Exotic fruits: photo
Feijoa with sugar: a recipe
Many housewives pass by the stalls with this exotic fruit simply because they do not know - what can be cooked out of it? And those who acquire it are consumed fresh, eating the pulp with a spoon, and the skin is completely discarded because of its peculiar taste. But it is precisely in the peel contains a lot of useful substances that can be saved by preparing the feijoa grated with sugar.
- Feijoa - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1 kg
- Peeled walnuts - 200 g
- Wash fruit, trim tails and twist in a meat grinder. After there you need to add sugar, mix and pour pureed nuts.
- Now all you need to leave on the table, for the complete dissolution of sugar, and then decompose in jars. Such a dish is stored in the refrigerator for a very long time!
Feijoa with honey: a recipe
A mixture of honey with feijoa puree is an excellent option for those regions in which iodine deficiency is observed, that is, for most of our country. The benefits of using this mixture have been proven for diseases of the thyroid gland and cardiovascular system, sore throat, laryngitis, increased excitability of the nervous system and for the prevention of these diseases. Lack of iodine adversely affects the entire body. Because of this, children are stunted, their intellectual development is slowed down.
Ingredients for the preparation of this product should be taken in a 1: 1 ratio. Feijoa must be minced and thoroughly mixed with honey, then put in a jar, close the lid and place in the refrigerator. Such a means is taken 3 times a day for 1 tsp.
Feijoa jam: recipe
It is difficult to call this blyuo jam, since it does not need to be boiled. The sweetness turns out tasty and healthy, and not much time is spent on its preparation. They can be watered with pancakes, pancakes, cheesecakes, mixed with cottage cheese, or just served with tea.
- Feijoa - 1 kg
- Sugar - sand - 800 g
- Fruit wash and trim the tips, peel and chop in a blender or in a meat grinder. Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- You can give the mixture to insist that the sugar is completely dissolved. It now remains to arrange the jam in banks.
- If long-term storage is planned, they must be sterilized, and then tightly closed with lids.
Feijoa jam with orange
- Feijoa - 1 kg
- Sugar - 0.5 kg
- Orange - 1 pc.
- Feijoa well washed and cut the tails, after cutting and grinding in a blender or using a meat grinder.
- Orange half peeled and crushed in the same way. Now you need to mix both the resulting mass and pour sugar, mix thoroughly and spread on banks. Keep this dish should be closed in the refrigerator.
Preparing such a compote very quickly.
- Feijoa - 0.5 kg
- Water - 2.5 L
- Sugar - 2.5 tbsp.
- Citric acid - ¼ tsp.
- Rinse the fruit thoroughly.
- Wash the 3-liter glass jar and sterilize it for about 15 minutes.
- Sugar pour water, put on the fire and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When the syrup boils, you need to pour feijoa into it, bring to a boil and blanch for 5 minutes.
- Pour in citric acid and mix well.
- Put the fruit in a prepared jar, pour the syrup and cover with a lid, which should also be sterilized. After allowing the compote to infuse for 5 minutes, spin the can and turn it for 5 minutes.
- Now the bank should be well wrapped and left for a day. Compote ready!
Feijoa - an exotic fruit, which, recently, began to increasingly appear on the shelves. These fruits are useful because allow you to compensate for the lack of iodine and strengthen the immune system. From feijoa you can make compote or jam, which can be stored in the refrigerator for several months.