Few know that losing weight is also important. Rapid weight loss can be dangerous for the body. There are certain medical standards that help get ahead of whether it is worth getting rid of extra pounds. The most popular way is to measure body mass index. It is a series of numerical values. According to the formula, calculate and compare with them their indicator.
Body mass index: how to calculate?
In modern society, there are standards of beauty imposed by glossy magazines and fashion podiums. They are significantly different from what is considered the norm from the point of view of doctors. In order not to get problems with health and psyche, it is better to be guided by the opinion of doctors regarding extra pounds. There are many techniques to calculate the ideal weight indicators.
The easiest way to find out the body mass index for women is to compare your weight and height. From the 2nd the indicators are subtracted 100. The resulting number is compared with the weight. Ideally, body weight should be 2-5 kg less than him. For example, if your height is 170 and weight is 73, then 65-68 kg will be ideal. In this case, it is believed that women of age can have equal indicators of 1 to 1. That is, height minus 100 for them is equal to weight.
Nutritionists use and other formulas. It is worth considering each of them separately, because they take into account different nuances.
The Quetelet index is calculated by dividing the weight in grams by height in centimeters. For women from 26 to 38 years, the indicator is 340-380. Retreats in a big way are a sign of overweight. The ideal body mass index for women over 40 years varies to a value of 400.
Indicators of the norm:
- Commonly used around the world is another formula. Height in meters should be squared. Then the weight is divided by the resulting number. For example, 65: (1.7 * 1.7). As a result, you get a digital value that should be compared with a special table. In total, there are 4 indicators, indicating a lack of weight, normal, extra pounds and a painful mass.
- An indicator of 30 and above - people with such a body mass index are diagnosed with obesity. This is considered a disease. When index 30 should consult a doctor. Obesity greatly affects health. The cardiovascular system and many organs suffer. Therefore, you need to lose weight strictly under the supervision of a doctor. Great physical exertion in the 1st time is not recommended. Initially, people with such an indicator with a proper diet can experience a sharp burning of subcutaneous fat.
- Index 25-29.9 indicates the presence of excess weight. In this case, get rid of extra pounds will help proper nutrition and sport. Simple carbohydrates and fatty foods are removed from the menu. The emphasis is on squirrels. Also for quick weight loss should drink plenty of water. They help reduce body mass index and cardiovascular exercise in the form of running, jumping rope, long rides on a bicycle.
- A sign of normal weight is the indicator from 19 to 24.9. To lose weight with this index, even if it seems to you that somewhere on the body there is an excess fold, you should not. The only thing you need to remember is maintaining the form. It is better not to overeat, periodically engage in fitness.
- Dangerous is an index with an indicator of 18.5 and below. It is usually evidence of a weight deficit. Low body weight can also lead to problems with all systems of the body, like obesity. In women, the menstrual cycle begins. There are problems with reproductive function. With this body mass index, you should consult a doctor. This may indicate various diseases and be a sign of anorexia.
- Before you calculate the body mass index from this formula, remember that it is not for everyone. People with an average height of 155-174 cm can safely try on the figure. If you are lower or higher, then you will need to subtract or add 10% from the resulting index. It is also best not to try to consider your ideal weight through body mass index during regular exercise. Indicators may be incorrect due to the fact that your muscle mass is larger than that of the average person.
How to calculate body mass index?
- You can use the formula Brock and Lorentz. The first is quite versatile. It takes into account different body builds and does not adjust the weight parameters to the model. On it from the height in centimeters subtracted 110. Then the result is multiplied by 1.5. As a result, you get a number that is an indicator of the ideal weight for your figure.
- Brock's formula can transform a little. The first option is only suitable for those who have averaged indicators of the structure. Many nutritionists will calculate the weight for it based on the type of figure. It is customary to distinguish asthenic, normostenic and hypertensive. The first ones look very fragile. They have thin bones, long limbs. 2nd have a dense physique at the expense of muscle mass. They may have wide bones. Hypersthenics have difficulty with fat burning. The shape of the figure looks rounded due to fat deposits.
- First, decide on the type of your constitution. Then go to the calculations. From the growth subtract a certain number. If it is less than 165 cm, then it is 100. With 166 and up to 175 - 106. If growth is between 175 cm and above, then subtract 110 from it. Then, depending on the type of figure, add or subtract 10 from the result. % If the shoulders and chest are massive, then the value increases. And, on the contrary, asthenics should deduct 10% from the result obtained.
- The Lorentz formula is suitable for women whose height is less than 175 cm. Its only drawback can only be considered that after 40 years it is better not to use it, because it does not take into account age-related changes. Calculations are carried out in 3 stages. First, 100 centimeters are subtracted from height. Then 150 is subtracted from it (the initial value) and the result is divided by 2. In the end, 1 is subtracted from 1.
- Many prefer other ways to determine the ideal weight. This is due to the fact that we all have individual health indicators and shapes. The reflection in the mirror primarily depends on the amount of subcutaneous and internal fat. The more of it, the farther your figure from the ideal. For comparison, women with the same weight, but different percentages of fat will look completely different. A more fit figure has one that has it smaller.
The ideal indicator for women is 21-24% fat content. It used to be considered that it was possible to measure its amount in the body only with a doctor. Now this procedure is more accessible. Special devices are in the gym and fitness clubs. You can also buy electronic scales with fat measurement function. They are not very expensive, stand as usual. The device works by pulses. It measures their transit time through adipose tissue and, based on this, derives its percentage in the body.
The body mass index for women must be determined in order to understand whether it is worth adjusting the figure. To do this, use a variety of formulas. Most often, the height in meters is squared. Then the weight is divided by the resulting number. The result is checked by the table. So the norm is the value from 19 to 24.9. For a more reliable result, other methods of calculation should be used, taking into account your age and the type of figure.