The ability of a child to learn successfully is determined not only by the ability to read and write. The main role here is played by the development of the following psychological features of the future student:
- The child’s understanding of the purpose of attending school.
- Willingness to change your social role.
- The ability to overcome difficulties.
- Ability to volitional effort.
- Sufficient physical development.
- Possession of certain skills.
The most important change in the life of a child during this period is to subordinate his desires to school rules. I want to run, but I have to sit at the desk and write. I want to play with my friends, but I need to prepare lessons.
The child goes to school to get knowledge there, to learn new things - this is his task. If he goes to school to play with friends, show off a new form or portfolio, his willingness to start learning is low enough. It will be difficult for him to fulfill the requirements of the teacher.
Growing up is always associated with a changing social role. In our family, all children still in preschool age were boldly entrusted with some affairs, imposing certain requirements. For example, if a child throws toys away, he must collect them before going to bed. Otherwise, he will be punished the next day. If he suddenly decided to "play small," then all the cartoons and sweets (except fruit) are drastically removed. Then the world of the adult and the child is compared. It is proposed to choose who he wants to be. Of course, being an adult is much more interesting!
The school requires the performance of serious work and almost no concessions. If a child is psychologically ripe for his new social role, his striving for learning will help achieve a lot in school. But even an adult is sometimes difficult to obtain new knowledge. Therefore, the support of relatives for the former preschooler is so important.
In kindergarten, working with children, the teacher always attracts their attention in different ways (bright toys, changing voice intonation). In order to fulfill the teacher's requirements and keep up with the lessons, the student must be able to do volitional efforts, he must be able to organize his own attention. The teacher in school will not be distracted by the fact that to attract the attention of students, he needs to have time to give them the planned material. Therefore, in order for a child to have time for lessons, he must be attentive, focused and not be distracted by extraneous things.
To develop the perseverance of our children, we read them long tales. It would seem a very simple task. But the readiness to trace the whole action of a fairy tale, not to be distracted and listen to the end can say a lot about the child! Even our kids love to collect puzzles. Each age can pick up their beautiful picture, consisting of a certain number of puzzles. The whole family can be involved in the process, which only brings us closer.
Watch your child: how long he has been doing the same thing. For example, how much time is spent on cleaning up toys, on picking up puzzles, on team street games. Assess on your own whether your child can finish what has been started, whether she loves communication with her peers, how she perceives new information, how well she adapts to unfamiliar surroundings. Only by carefully studying the behavior of a preschooler, can one judge his readiness or non-readiness for school.
What is the way out, if it is time to go to school, and the readiness to study has not yet been formed?
- Send the child to school a year later. Although he will lag behind his peers for one year, he will study at school better and more successfully.
- Start preparing him for school in advance, for several years. These include classes in the children's development center, the formation of a positive school image for the child, and family communication.
- Do not make excessive demands on the child. Remember that all achievements are given gradually. And if you do not believe in your child, how will he believe in himself?
- Benevolent atmosphere in the house. The most important thing for the child will always be your love, understanding and respect.