Sooner or later, all parents are confronted with the child’s disobedience and sometimes simply do not know how to behave properly and what punitive measures to take. It is important not only to know how to punish a child for bad behavior, but also when to do it.
How to punish a child?
First of all, we must remember that the punishment of children has several features.
- It must be directly related to the misconduct itself. For example, if a child starts to disobey at home, then he should be immediately put into a corner, but at the same time one can not cancel the walk.
- Punishment must be equal to perfect misconduct. It is important to remember that with very cruel measures, the child may begin to develop certain psychological problems that will manifest in the future. However, if the punishment is too lenient, the baby may simply not pay attention to it and not understand its own offense.
- It is important to punish the child immediately after the offense was committed. The fact is that young children have a bad idea about the passage of time, therefore, they can very quickly forget about their pranks. As a result, this leads to the fact that the baby will perceive all subsequent punishments as unfair. That is why you should not promise that punishment will follow soon.
- A child should not want to receive the same punishment in the future. For example, many parents make a big mistake - they put the kid in the corner next to the toys, so he will not take it seriously.
- If the punishment was postponed for a while, you should not forget about it, because the child must understand his offense.
- The punishment should not be too long. For example, if a child is prohibited from doing his favorite activity for a whole week, it will no longer have a link between offense and prohibition for him;
- It is important to explain to the child the reason for the punishment received, since only in this case he will be able to understand his misconduct and will not be offended by his parents.
- Do not break the stress on children, if the mood was spoiled at work.
- The perfect offense should be discussed with the child alone, and not in the presence of unauthorized people. The fact is that many children can be hurt by talking about their mischief with others.
Why children do not obey their parents?
Before you look for methods to punish a disobedient child, you first need to establish the reason for this behavior. It is important to remember that any action of a baby is a natural reaction to the world around it, and of course, to parents.
Many children simply do not know which parent to listen to - father or mother. After all, very often there are cases when dad forbids something, but mom allows it. Thus, the baby begins to get confused, which affects his behavior.
A child may cease to obey his parents because they start demanding too much, and they do not even bother to show what he should do. In this case, the baby simply cannot understand what they want from him and why they constantly swear at him.
Very often, parents forbid everything to their son or daughter, and they do not explain why he should not do this. As a result, this leads to a completely understandable reaction - the child begins to oppose.
Also, a child with such behavior may try to show that he simply does not have enough attention from the parents. Therefore, minor pranks and moods can be a means to attract him to yourself.
Method of carrot and stick: how to apply correctly?
Many parents use the carrot and stick method in their upbringing, but it is worth considering the fact that it is not suitable for all children. If once a child was punished in this way and soon began to disobey again, it is worthwhile to find another method of punishment.
Punishing a baby can be beneficial. For example, for offense, he will have to do some homework. Every family must have certain rules that are strictly prohibited to break. As a punishment, a child can clean his room, wash dishes, wipe off dust, etc.
In some cases, it helps the punishment of a stranger, because children very well perceive criticism from outsiders and they become ashamed of their offense.
If a child constantly plays around and does not obey his parents, it is necessary to deprive him of his favorite activity or game, it may be temporarily forbidden to visit his favorite sports section or not to give sweets for a week.
Self-punishment can help. For example, if a child does not obey and wants to try the mustard, it is necessary for him to allow it, but at the same time it is important to tell in detail what awaits him. Due to this, the next time he will listen to the advice of parents. Older children can be given the option of punishment.
Effective punishment can be simply ignoring the child. This will be one of the most serious methods for children of preschool age, since during this period of life parents are important for them. Therefore, it will be difficult for them to endure a lack of communication. However, at the same time, such a punishment should not continue for too long, as soon as the baby understands that he has committed a misdemeanor, he can be kissed and petted.
With extreme caution it is necessary to use the punishment cry. Child psychologists recommend using it only when there is a dangerous moment and the child must quickly calm down. For example, if the baby will hear a scream every day, soon he will simply stop reacting to him. Many parents are simply unable to restrain themselves and during the upbringing they can use insults to the child. As a result, this will lead to the fact that the baby will remember the style of behavior and the words he heard, which will soon turn in the direction of loved ones.
Many mothers use the method of intimidation. However, this method of punishment should be used very carefully, because young children can develop serious psychological trauma.
A correctional chair, which is quite widely used in kindergartens today, can be a great punishment. A naughty child should sit on a high chair and stay on it for a while, but not too long. At the same time he needs to explain in as much detail as possible exactly what he was punished for.
See also:How to explain to a child what is good and what is bad?
Raising a baby is a big responsibility! It is important to remember that the child needs to constantly explain what he was punished for. This should be applied in parallel with any method of exposure, since many children simply cannot understand why they behave in this way. Avoid physical punishment, even a light slap can injure the unformed psyche of a baby.