Buying shoes is important and responsible. After all, how comfortable shoes, shoes, etc. are, depends not only on comfort when walking, but also on the health of the entire musculoskeletal system. Therefore, buying shoes without fitting, for example, on the Internet, it is important to know how to measure the size of your feet so that you don’t regret your purchase.
World Shoe Size Systems
There are several systems that determine shoe size. Their main difference is that some of them take the foot length as a basis, and some - the length of the insole. The most common are:
- metric system (measured barefoot in centimeters from the most protruding finger to the heel), adopted in some countries of the CIS and the Baltic States;
- the French or European system (measured by the length of the insole with a difference between the size of 2/3 centimeters), which is customary for Russia, Belarus and Ukraine;
- English or American system (determined by the length of the insole in inches, and there are 2 lines: from 1 to 13 size for children's shoes and from 1 to 13 adult; the step between the values of the sizes is defined as 1/3 inch).
As a rule, large manufacturers of footwear specify parameters in the European and English system. Therefore, the buyer must know how to measure the size of the feet.
How to measure foot size in cm?
In order to correctly determine your shoe size, you need to correctly approach the process of taking measurements. First of all, it is necessary to do this (as well as try on shoes) in the evening, since the whole day the legs swell a little and "spread out" in size. From this it follows that the morning size may be slightly smaller than the afternoon. Measurements are done in just 5 steps, but still it is better to ask someone to help.
- Remove shoes and socks (if you plan to buy winter shoes, then you can leave the socks).
- We become on a blank sheet of paper.
- We ask the assistant to circle the outline of the feet with a pencil, directing the writing part to the foot.
- Measure the length of the resulting patterns from heel to the longest toe on both feet, choose a larger value if they are different.
- We add 5 mm - this is the foot size.
Measuring baby's leg
Any parent will say that it is several times more difficult for a child to find comfortable shoes than an adult. This is because young children cannot objectively assess the comfort of a new dress during the fitting process. Therefore, it is important to clearly know what size your crumbs. To do this, use the following helpful tips.
- Outline the leg of the child in a standing position on a sheet of paper.
- Make sure that the baby straightened all the fingers.
- It is better to take measurements of the legs in the socks, as children quickly grow out of things and shoes as well. And in order for the new thing to last at least a couple of seasons, you need to make a small allowance - just equal to the thickness of the sock.
- As in the case of measurements of the feet of an adult, we measure the length from the heel to the longest finger, adding 5 mm.
How to choose the fullness of shoes?
To make shoes comfortable, it is necessary to choose the right pads. This value is the same for all size systems. It is denoted in centimeters (from 19.7 to 27, 7 in 5 mm increments) and numerical values (from 2 to 10). To determine it, you should measure the rise from the outer edge of the foot to the inside. Measuring tape must pass through the highest point of roundness of the foot.
As a rule, even with the indication of the fullness of the shoe, the shoe may not be suitable - due to the specific features of the leg structure. Therefore, if it is difficult for you to choose shoes that are comfortable in lifting, it is better to give up buying without fitting. Consider also that some manufacturers of European footwear sometimes use a more diffuse system for determining completeness - alphabetic (narrow foot denoted B, standard - D, slightly wider than standard - E, wide - EE). In this case, you will have to hope that you guess the appropriate parameter.
To shoes look beautiful on foot, it is important to choose it correctly. And, of course, the most important selection criterion is size. In this business it is not necessary to rely entirely on manufacturers and sellers. Knowing how to measure the size of the feet of an adult and a child, you can buy shoes even without fitting.