Thailand is a fabulously beautiful country with azure waters, warm and bright sunshine and friendly people. However, when going on a trip to a foreign country, you need to know what documents are needed for the trip, what can be carried through customs. And it will be completely useful to know at least a little about local customs.
When is the best time to go to Thailand?
The climate of this country is quite capricious and unpredictable. The weather can change so suddenly that you just wonder! But there are seasons when the weather is most comfortable for tourists. For example, if you are going to visit the south-east of the country or its west coast, the best time to travel will be from October to April. From the beginning of May tropical showers begin here, and the weather becomes uncomfortable for tourism.
On the east coast of Malacca, comfortable weather is from April to October. If you decide to visit Bangkok, the best time for this will be from April to August and from December to February.
We must be prepared for the fact that the weather may deteriorate during this period of time, because the weather of Thailand is very unpredictable!
- There are no restrictions on the import and export of foreign currency. But the amount of over 10 thousand dollars will need to be made in the declaration. The national currency of Thailand can be exported up to 50 thousand baht per person, or 100 thousand baht for those family members who are inscribed in one passport.
- Without paying the duty, it is allowed to import 200 cigarettes or 250 g of tobacco, or 250 g of cigars. Alcohol is allowed to import no more than 1 liter per person, regardless of the strength of the drink.
- You can import only one camera or video camera.
- You can bring a pet into the country only if you have an internationally certified veterinary certificate, as well as a certificate stating that the animal is vaccinated against rabies. Dogs of fighting breeds are forbidden to bring into the country.
- The following items are strictly prohibited for importation into the country - explosives, fireworks, ammunition and firearms, gold bars and pornographic materials. It is impossible to import meat of animals from those countries which are subject to various epidemics.
- The law is also very strictly applicable to those who are trying to smuggle drugs into the country. Punishment can be very severe, even the death penalty!
- It is strictly forbidden to take away from the country raw gems, gold bars, objects with the image of Buddha (only if they are not small medallions or any other items of individual worship). Ivory, leather goods and bones of animals that are under protection cannot be removed.
- In addition, stamps, archaeological finds, antiques and works of art are prohibited for exportation. To be allowed to take out antiques, you must have permission from the Department of Fine Arts. If you purchased any jewelry in the country, make sure you get a license. Otherwise, there may be problems at customs. Tobacco products can be exported from the country in any quantities.
The national currency of Thailand is Bat = 100 Satang. In circulation are banknotes in denominations of 1, 20, 50, 100 and 500 baht. In addition, coins of 1.2 and 5 baht, as well as 25 and 50 satangs, run throughout the country. 1 baht is almost equal to 1 ruble. The course varies slightly, so the exact course should be specified on the spot.
Exchange offices are quite common in tourist centers. Almost everywhere credit cards are accepted for payment. Banking hours are from 8.30 to 15.30. Saturday and Sunday are days off. Rubles can change here, but they do it very rarely and not everywhere. Dollars and Euros are changing everywhere. However, the exchange of dollars here is very unusual. The smaller the bill, the less exchange it will be. And the higher the denomination of the bill, the greater the rate of its exchange. At the same time, old banknotes may not be accepted at all or taken at an undervalued rate. Since 2009, for each withdrawal of money from an ATM, the amount of $ 4.25 has been withdrawn, while at most ATMs, the withdrawal limit for one transaction is $ 300.
Prices in Thailand
Prices in Thailand vary greatly depending on where you are in the city. The closer to the tourist center, the higher the prices. On average, lunch bought on the street will cost 50 baht. Dinner in a cafe - about 150 baht. Dinner in a good restaurant - from 1000 to 1500 baht. A taxi ride is about 250 baht. Directions by public transport - from 8 to 35 baht.
Tipping is usually left only in tourist centers. Porters can be given from 5 to 20 baht (depending on the class of the hotel), maids - from 10 to 20 baht. Restaurants usually include a tip in the bill price. Where it is not accepted, you can leave the waiter from 7% to 10% of the amount on the account.
Important phones in Thailand
These numbers are best written on several pieces of paper and put in different places.
- Russian Information Center in Pattaya - (038) 042-00-98
- First Aid - 252-217-15
- Fire Service - 199
- Embassy of Russia in Thailand, Bangkok - (66) 22-34-20-12
- Police - 191, 193, 195
- Tourist police - 1155, 1699, 282-11-43, 280-17-44
- Emergency situations - 191
The most popular products in Thailand are vegetables, fruits, meats and, especially, fish. Almost all dishes are prepared with a variety of sauces. Thai cuisine is simply impossible to imagine without seasoning. In addition, in Thailand, do not use a specific recipe for cooking. And the taste of the finished dish depends on the skill of the chef. The most popular dishes in Thailand are rice, pasta, noodles with various sauces, meat salads and yeast cakes.
Thais are very fond of fruits in large quantities. From drinks prefer simple water and fruit juices. Thais will not refuse tea, coffee, beer and lemonade.
Communication in Thailand
The most important fact that should not be forgotten is that mobile phones registered in our country will not work in Thailand! Tourist sim card can be bought for about 200 baht. In addition, there are a lot of Internet cafes in the country where you can access the Internet or connect your laptop to the network. Some hotels have an internet room where you can also connect to the Internet. In the hotels of premium class Internet access is in every room.
Thailand: important things
- You should never discuss the royal family of Thailand and its members. In Thailand, this is not accepted.
- If you enter a temple or Thai house, you must remove your shoes.
- In no case can not desecrate the shrines of the country. For this you can suffer severe punishment.
- If you decide to visit the cinema, remember, before the beginning of the session, the anthem is played, which you need to listen to while standing.
- The height of voice as well as public display of tenderness is considered the height of indecency.
- For smoking in public places a fine of $ 550 is required here.
- Before you go to Thailand, make sure that you have all the necessary vaccinations. Do not drink water from the tap or other sources. Buy only bottled water.
- It is forbidden to photograph temples and military sites.
In Thailand, you can relax perfectly, while the rest will not be incredibly expensive! And shopping lovers will get even more pleasure, because you can make purchases here almost at every corner. However, remember that in Thailand, as in any other country, quality goods will not be very cheap.
Enjoy your holiday!