Despite the uniqueness of each person, there are certain common features of behavior and character, allowing to form quite large groups of psychological types. In particular, C. Young divided the entire society into 2 groups - introverts and extroverts.
It is noteworthy such a statistical observation that the vast majority of people (the world as a whole) are extroverts - their share is about 70%. And they are called more successful not only in work, but also in life. Why is this happening, and is it possible to independently determine your own psycho?
What is an introvert and an extrovert? Characteristics
First of all, is it worth figuring out who it is - an extrovert and an introvert? What is behind these almost explanatory definitions?
- An extrovert is easily “readable” by the initial part of the word: “extra” is the best, above, i.e. out of bounds. A person belonging to the category of extroverts can really be characterized by these words, because he is always visible, active and attracts attention. Thus, the whole essence of the extrovert is directed outward, towards others.
- Introvert is characterized by the initial part of "intro", which means "inside". And this is the most accurate version of the definition of a given person: the basis of introverts is in composure, a certain closeness, orientation deep into itself. It is not necessary for such a person to be shy and unsociable, but he is subject to internal thoughts and analysis, and, unlike an extrovert, he does not spill energy around himself, but accumulates it.
Of course, this is not all the features, even the main ones, of each of the psycho-types. What else makes it possible to understand their nature and how does belonging to any of them affect the fate of a person? Introverts usually take the position of an observer, while extroverts - figures.
- An extrovert is a social person, easily adaptable, he likes to be among people, sometimes it is vital for him not to feel lonely, not to be left alone with himself. Moreover, he can look for not only simple communication, but also the public, because he needs a lot of attention. This often affects, if not a profession, then third-party hobbies: extroverts are noticeable in the role of entertainer, toastmaster, or even an artist, and, moreover, they act impulsively, by a momentary decision, sometimes even in spite of all planned schedules. At the same time, one cannot say that such people are completely unorganized.
- In turn, the introvert, on the contrary, tries to preserve personal space, not letting those around him too close. With new people for him, the introvert converges cautiously, sometimes with difficulties, but this is not an axiom. He can be quietly in society, but will always strive to find a way to privacy, especially when it comes to working (training) indicators, which will fall among the crowd. The most preferred are the professions of a doctor, scientist, writer.
Such a working moment is also noteworthy, that introverts are quite consistent, carry out their plans step by step, although they can “swing” for a long time before starting something, but they consistently bring things to the end. Extroverts, because of their impulsiveness and emotional instability, light up like a match and almost immediately go out, sometimes they have to be forced not to quit, but they gush forth with ideas with insane activity. A tandem of extrovert and introvert from the point of view of teamwork can be extremely successful.
- Extroverts are sometimes mistaken for unceremonious and too straightforward personalities: the reason for this is their dislike of understanding the layers of subtext and heaps of hints - if you want to get something from an extrovert, speak with him straightforwardly. They themselves tend to express their emotions and feelings clearly, and therefore expect the same from others, especially since they are often good empaths, which forms the basis of their easy social adaptation.
- Introverts tend to think in everything, and the behavior of others is no exception: they have long analyzed the thoughts and actions of others, looking for hints and ulterior motives. But such people know how to listen to the interlocutor, accept his point of view and adjust their own depending on this, as they try to maintain a positive disposition of the interlocutor, avoid conflicts.
Proceeding from this, one can answer the question posed at the very beginning of the article about the reasons for the alleged success of extroverts in life and work: people who belong to this type, are by nature leaders trying to rise a step higher, which certainly does not remain without "reward" .
How to determine - an introvert or an extrovert?
There are a large number of psychological tests that allow to establish the type of personality: professionals do this even on the basis of color choices, for self-testing they usually recommend classical questionnaires with versions of answers that can be either monosyllabic or more detailed.
- The most well-known and accurate method is considered by G. Aysenck, as well as most of the tests for temperament, since introverts are dominated by inhibition of the central nervous system, and in extroverts by excitation.
But it is much easier to simply collect all your character traits "in a heap" and sort them out according to the columns. The main feature here will remain your connection with society and the dependence of the results of activity on this, as well as the way to solve the tasks: through internal and scrupulous reflections or through searches in the outside world.
Summing up, it is worth noting that pure psycho - utopia. A real person is unique precisely because his personality will never be completely identical to a stranger. Thus, it combines the features of an extrovert and an introvert in a certain proportion, and belonging to a particular category is determined only by the dominant majority of features, but does not mean 100% coincidence.