This position is best started when the posture of an elongated triangle (Trikonasana) is fully mastered. These postures are similar, but in Ardhachandrasan it is much more difficult to maintain a balance, in any case - from the first time few people succeed. But the most remarkable thing is that tangible progress is felt on the third day of practice. It is this asana that allows you to fully enjoy a quick victory!
The name comes from "chandra" - in Sanskrit "moon" and "ardha" - half. So it turns out - a crescent.
Ardhachandrasana allows you to learn how to control your body, maintain balance, trains the vestibular apparatus. In addition, her practice is aimed at strengthening the legs, press, lateral abdominal muscles. This position is recommended for osteochondrosis, arthritis of the shoulder joints, as well as for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
How to breathe properly during Ardhachandrasana
Mastering this position requires some preparation, often the Crescent is attributed to the complex yoga asanas for, so to speak, the advanced level. Therefore, at the beginning, it may be difficult for a newcomer to simultaneously control the body and follow the breath. It can be said that it is the ability to equalize breathing in the Pose of the Crescent is an indicator of successful development. There should be no delay in inhaling or exhaling. Breathing should only be through the nose, while inhaling and exhaling should be approximately equal in length. The length of stay in the pose is determined by the number of respiratory cycles - four will suffice to begin with.
Technique of Ardhachandrasana
As for all standing poses, the starting position is Tadasana (link).
Note: two options are possible; it is best to try both to determine which one is most suitable for you personally. Here you can fully rely on subjective feelings. Indicator of correct execution is the location of the body in one plane.
The option of entering Ardhachandrasan from the Triangle Pose (link)
1. From Tadasana go to Utthita Trikonasana (posture of a straight elongated triangle).
2. Tilt to the right side, right palm rests on the floor. On the exhale, slightly bend the right knee, and move the supporting arm forward slightly, so that it is convenient to maintain balance.
3. Put your left hand on your left thigh. To fix this position for 2-3 respiratory cycles. The body should be stable, the load is distributed evenly.
4. While inhaling, slowly raise the left leg to the parallel with the floor. In this case, the right leg must be straightened. Pose record for at least 30 seconds.
5. On the exhale, return to Trikonasana, after - to Tadasana, and repeat the exercise on the other side.
The option of entering Ardhachandrasan from the Fisherman Pose
- From Tadasana go to Pose of a fisherman pulling a fishing pole (Zhuldilasana): a small half-crouch, legs a little more than shoulder-width apart, hands resting on the hips over the kneecaps, fingers pointing inward.
- Cut your left hand on your right thigh? You lean with two hands, while straightening your left leg and putting it back.
- Balancing at the expense of a support on a knee, to lift the left leg to a parallel with a floor.
- Lower both hands in front of you to the floor, straighten your right leg.
- Slowly raise your left hand first to chest level, then up, then position it in line with your left foot.
- Open the body so that the stretching of the lateral abdominal muscles is felt.
- After holding the pose for several respiratory cycles, as you exhale, return to the Fisherman's Pose and do the exercise on the other side.
As already mentioned, the most difficult thing about doing Ardhachandrasana is maintaining balance. However, there is simply no question of any balance or position of the body in the same plane, if the muscles and joints have not achieved sufficient flexibility to perform this pose.
- to prepare the legs for performing the Crescent Posture, you can use the exercise known to everyone since kindergarten - Swallow.
Hands can be directed forward or divorced to the sides. In fact, this is also the yoga position - Virabhadrasana, and it perfectly prepares the lower limbs to perform poses for balance and balance.
- Initially, you can adjust the Pose of the crescent by performing it near the wall. Thus, the skill of positioning the body in one plane is achieved. To do this, you need to stand on the starting position with your back to the wall, touching it with your buttocks, when performing the asana, make sure that the points of contact with the support are in the area of the shoulder blades, the working leg and arm.
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com - Olga Farusy