If you like colorful and original, be sure to dissolve petunia. There are many varieties of this plant, so the choice is yours. Petunia, like many other flowers, is prone to diseases that can lead to dryness and yellowing of leaves.
Petunia is a dense, bushy perennial plant. It has oval leaves, dark blue flowers with a wide bent in the form of a funnel, which bloom in autumn. Their color is diverse - from white, pink, yellow to more saturated colors - red, blue, purple. There are varieties that combine several shades. Along the edges of the petals can be smooth and double.
Stems are dark green, dense, depending on the variety, can be straight, creeping or falling. The fruit of petunia is a box in which there are very small seeds.
Germination seeds save 2-3 years. Oddly enough, but this plant is a relative of potatoes and tomatoes. Homeland - South America. Petunia appeared in Europe in the middle of the 19th century. At that time, only two varieties were known - red-violet and white.
The now known varieties of petunia are hybrids.
There are 4 groups of plants:
- petunias with a large flower (the size of flowers reaches 10 cm);
- petunias, which have many small flowers (3-5 cm);
- dwarf petunias, low (bush height from 15 to 30 cm);
- ampelous petunias. This includes the cascade petunias and the now popular petunias of Surfini.
Petunia Care: Features
- Before you buy a plant, you need to decide on the area of planting. This flower loves well lit sunny places. In the shade, the petunia loses its decorative effect, its shoots are drawn out, an excess of leaves appears, and flowering decreases. If your balcony or flowerbed is located on the south or southwest side, this is the ideal place for a plant.
- It is important to remember that petunia is a warm, drought-resistant flower, but it does not tolerate high temperatures. Therefore, in a hot period possible infection with a spider mite.
- Watering plants should be regular (morning and evening), but in moderation, stagnant water should not be allowed. This can serve as a prerequisite for the appearance of yellowness on the leaves. It is good if you spray petunia in hot, dry weather. Drops of water should fall on the flower, like mist - in small drops. Spraying is the prevention of spider mites. Especially carefully you should treat petunias that are flowering on the unglazed balcony, since the strong wind, rain can break the shoots, damage the delicate petals. For the period of bad weather, the plant is best removed to a place protected from rain and wind.
- To petunia pleased you with abundant and long flowering, you need to feed her fertilizer complex with a high content of potassium. This feeding is important throughout the flowering time at least 1 time in 2 weeks.
- Be sure to remove the withered flowers, do not let the ovary form. Maturation of seeds slows the development of buds. And their removal, on the contrary, favors active flowering. In order for you to have a beautiful, lush plant, you need to shape it, pinch the shoots.
Petunia leaves turn yellow: reasons
The most common causes of petunia leaf yellowing are diseases and pests.
At the first signs of manifestation of the disease - softening, darkening of the root part of the stem, be sure to:
- remove the diseased plant with the part adjacent to the ground;
- treat the remaining healthy shoots with fungicides;
- adjust irrigation, do not allow waterlogging, stagnant water.
This is a fungal disease, manifested in the form of white plaque on the leaves, flowers. Occurs with sudden changes in temperature and humidity. Damaged parts of petunia must be removed and the whole plant sprinkled with sulfur. To prevent the occurrence of fungus, the ground must be steamed before sowing, planted not thickly, maintain a stable temperature regime, monitor watering, avoiding stagnant moisture, accumulation of excess nitrogen fertilizers in the soil.
Spider mite- small red spider. Dwells on the back of the sheet, it is covered with a white web. Spraying and washing the leaves with plain water or non-concentrated tobacco extract, pollination (in the air, outside the room) with crushed sulfur will help to destroy it.
Aphid- a small insect of green, gray and black color. It feeds on the sap of the plant, settles on the inner side of the leaves, which leads to their folding, drying. It spreads quickly. You can destroy it with ready-made preparations, which are available in special shops or with solutions of nicotine sulfate in water and soap in a proportion of 1 gr. nicotine - sulfate to 1 liter of soapy water. Plants should be washed exactly 1 day after treatment, covering the soil with a film or a regular bag. If necessary, the treatment must be repeated again.
Often in adults, petunias turn yellow leaves. The most common reasons for this are:
- violation of temperature
- violation of the regime of watering plants
- defeat plants with various pests (spider mite, aphids, whitefly)
- iron deficiency - chlorosis
Leaf chlorosis may be caused by a high content of calcium in the soil, hard water used for irrigation. In such cases, use fertilizers containing iron. Or fill the old iron with water, insist a few days. Water the flower with this water.
Petunia is one of the most suitable plants for growing in containers, balcony flowerpots, hanging baskets. This flower is hardy, despite its delicate appearance, can endure drought, rain with wind. The main thing is to give him a little care and attention, to master the basic secrets of growing.